Topic: Please allow me to introduce myself

New member here, although I have been lurking around, printing out songs for a few months now. Just thought I'd say hello and offer a bit of background about myself. Let's see - 42 y.o. male from North Carolina  - no scratch that - 43 years now (memory is going I guess). Played guitar a bit as a youngster and just recently picked it back up. I was fixing the ceiling fan in my step-daughters room and noticed the guitar leaning against the wall for decoration. She "had to have it" for a birthday gift a few years ago and it's been collecting dust ever since. So - I said to myself, I used play a bit and I asked Sarah if she would mind if I borrowed it.

It's been a blast - There were no computers when when I was kid, and I'd rather be out playing ball. My mom dragged me to lessons and made me practice and I don't recall enjoying it all. Now, I can't get enough. There is so much good stuff on-line (primarily enjoying chordie and justinsandercoe, but wow, in only a few month's time, I can play a few sing-a-longs and can't find enough time to play. I am really enjoying this!

Anyway - that's my short story and again, just thought I'd say hello to the other chordians out there.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: Please allow me to introduce myself

hello topdown welcome to chordie do you by any chance drive a convertable?

"Growing old is not for sissies"

you guessed it russell - '67 mustang. candyapple red. (though it's "resting" for the winter)

Greetings topdown & welcome to the chordie forum!
Glad you've stopped lurking about and decided to join the discussion.

Let's see . . . middle aged guy, drives an antique red convertible, plays guitar . . . hmmmmm . . . is this chordie thing just part of a middle-aged crazy phase?

Actually, congratulations on re-discovering the joys of making music.  It is one of the things that keeps me going.  Some people obsess over spectator sports, some vegetate in front of the boob tube, some hunt.  I enjoy making music.  I play autoharp and bassoon.

My primary interest is in writing songs - always have some ideas brewing and I work at it a little every day.  I love to sing and play.  Discovered chordie while searching for lyrics & chords and have been avid use ever since.  Have made great friends all around the world through this site.

Again, welcome and glad to make your acquaintance.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Welcome Topdown, glad you found us. Climb on in, buckle up, and enjoy the Chordie ride. You are gonna benefit so much from this fine site.

I'm a 41 year old full-time working musician from sunny FLA. Moved down here in 1991 from New River Valley, Virginia. I was lucky to play 10 gigs a month in VA but down here I'll do up to 10 gigs a week. Chordie has expanded my song list by thousands and I'm sure it will be just as helpful to you. Welcome again and I look foward to chit-chatting with you.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I’ve already gained a lot from Chordie from the lyrics / chords and from reading the forum – what a great resource! Funny – When I first picked the guitar back up – had been playing 6 or 8 weeks, and then man I started sounding worse. I was just looking through the forum one night and came upon a thread that recommended changing strings every 2 weeks or a month max – Well dumbazz me,  I didn’t realize that – What a difference!

I checked out you’alls (that’s southern vernacular) myspace pages and listened to some of the tunes. Interesting to say the least – a statistician song writing autoharp / bassoon player – how obscure is that?! And the tunes on Russell’s page are almost as diverse as Southpaw’s songbook. Everything from Bach to Zappa – that’s about the range of styles I enjoy also – good is good, no matter the genre. Southpaw – I used to live in the Ft. Myers area, love the gulf coast!

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome and I look forward to partaking in the forums. Maybe someday I will be good enough to actually offer something instead of just soaking up all of the knowledge!

So you still playing your girls guitar, or are you starting to develop a wish-list?

Oh, and we drive similar cars!  Mine is a candy apple red.........Kia.  Really turns heads, but you know that.

Welcome aboard!

Frank.

Thanks for the welcome Frank.

It's an "entry level" Yamaha and serving it's purpose for the time being. I'll probably be in the market for a new one after the first of the year.

I'm keeping my eye on Craig's List and would love to find a classic "name" somewhere around  $1K. I haven't done much research yet, but my line of thinking is kind of like my car -  Why not enjoy something that may actually appreciate in value? I guess I kind of like old classic things and could see myself building a bit of a collection.

SouthPaw41L - You're about the only person I know who voluntarily left the New River Valley in Virginia.  Most of the folks I know who graduated Tech or Radford spend most of the rest of their lives trying to find their way back there.  I bet you don't miss the job market though.  With that much desire to stay, it wasn't unusual to have a Ph.D. bagging your groceries.  In that you were a gigging musician there, did you play with "Steady Rollin' Bob Margolin" at all?  He's from that neck of the woods.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

10 (edited by SouthPaw41L 2007-12-14 22:17:45)

Zurf wrote:

SouthPaw41L - You're about the only person I know who voluntarily left the New River Valley in Virginia.  Most of the folks I know who graduated Tech or Radford spend most of the rest of their lives trying to find their way back there.  I bet you don't miss the job market though.  With that much desire to stay, it wasn't unusual to have a Ph.D. bagging your groceries.  In that you were a gigging musician there, did you play with "Steady Rollin' Bob Margolin" at all?  He's from that neck of the woods.

- Zurf

Zurf,

My decision to leave the NRV was 100% financial. My family and I try to get up there about twice a year to visit my family. Most of my kin live there minus one sister who lives in Nashville. We really enjoy visiting with her too! My family and I dream of moving back to the NRV within the next 5 years. My wife is almost finished with her EED(Org.Leadership) and upon completion she hopes to become a professor/advisor/administrator at Va.Tech or Radford. It'll be tough leaving FL simply because of the amount of work I get down here playing music and the $ is surprisingly good. Maybe we can do what 75% of the people down here do and have dual residences?!?!

I did play with "Steady Rollin' Bob Margolin"!!! South Main Cafe in Blacksburg was our common venue. Bob is one of the coolest people on the face of the earth. He's still pumping out fantastic stuff and his live shows are better than ever. Are you familiar with "The Yams From Outer Space"? If you are I've got some intersting stuff to tell you about them. My band "DejaVoodoo" played such venues as; Lucky's downtown Radford, Hokie House and Buddy's in Blacksburg and a few others that I can't recall the names of? It was a while back ('87-'91) My band also played gigs with such bands as "Electric Woodshed", "The Kind", "The Locomotives", and Greg Albert's "Freak Show." Ah....the good ole days!

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Give everything but up.

11 (edited by jasonoakes 2007-12-16 18:57:19)

just after joining chordie..love the site..if any one knows any songs by jose gonzales cud u please send them on.. tanks any one up 4 a chat....