Topic: advice on computer recording

hi guys i am trying to record stuff using my webcam microphone and i get a terrible hiss all through the recording, any you guys give me some pointers on how to sort this or recommend software and hardware to use? thanks.

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel García Marquez

Re: advice on computer recording

Hi weedjie - I am not a technical expert, and I am glad there are people who really enjoy this stuff.  From my limited experience here is what I understand.

Webcams typically have condenser microphones.  That means they pick up sounds from all around.  Typically, condenser mics have limited sensitivity regarding range of tones they hear well.

Mics typically used for music recording are cardioid - they are more directional in nature (they hear what is right in front of them) and are more sensitive to a broader range of tones.

Webcams are nifty tools, but you are probably expecting more from the device than it can deliver.

There is a nice USB microphone called 'Snowball' from a company called Blue.  Plugs right into your computer and yields very good results (about $100 US).  No need for additional gear.  The Snowball has 3 settings; cardioid, limited (for very loud sound sources), and condenser.  I have one and am pleased with the results.  The room I record in is very 'live' - would like to eventually dampen down the ambient sound by padding the walls and floor.

For software, there is a free, open-source application called 'Audacity' which allows recording of multiple tracks, mixing, tweaking, etc.  Audacity can be downloaded for free (just google it up).  I have an iMac and use Apple's Garageband - it is a very versatile program and I have only begun to scratch the surface of its full potential.

There are people who can spend hours discussing the finer points of the art and science of recording.  Pretty much everything I know is contained in the paragraphs above.  Hope it is helpful - - - maybe somebody with more depth of knowledge will jump in here and we can all learn something.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Re: advice on computer recording

thanks james ill check this out , i had a suspicion that the mic was picking up some sort of noise from other electrical devices, such as speakers or computer fan , mobile phones etc.

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel García Marquez