Topic: New to Chordie and new to music

Hi everyone,

As the title suggests i'm new to Chordie and to music in general which is totally shameful as i'm 41 years old.

Allow me to tell you a little about myself.
I'm a 41 year old man from the cold and wet North East of England.

I am a Lawyer working for a large firm of Solicitors here in the North east. I'm married to a truly beautiful woman with an equally gorgeous daughter. Life is pretty good i guess but there has always been something missing, music, any type of music as long as it evokes some kind of feeling inside.

For as long as i can remember i have wanted to play an instrument. I did not know what intrument just as long as it made music. However, to my shame i done nothing about it until very recently. My older brother who has always played the guitar encouraged me to try and learn this beautiful sounding instrument (for some anyway).

I have been taking lessons from my brother for the past 3 months and have discovered in me what i have been looking for all my life, a way of making music. Its getting better but slowly.

Anyway enough of my ramblings. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and learning from you all too.

What i have read on here really inspires me, learning its not just me with sore fingers and a rubbish strumming pattern.

Regards
Bri

Re: New to Chordie and new to music

Ah well done Bri,
I didn't pick up a guitar until I was 40, 2 yrs ago. It's never too late. I am a complete addict now, and miss it when I don't get 'round to playing a few tunes everyday.
I'm sure you will get along just great here, a really great bunch of people.
Good luck!
Les

aka ......   Boxer Petal....<3

Count me in the group of 40 somethings discovering or rediscovering the joys of making music. Seems to be quite a few of us out here. Welcome to chordie and have fun!

Jeff

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thanks Boxer,

Its nice to have such a quick reply.

I'm in the process of learning the finger picking thing..what a nightmare.

Also i find it very hard to produse clear sounds due to my fingers touching the other strings.

Does htis just come with practice?

Bri

Bri, Welcome from N. California. Try this site as well  http://www.musicmoose.org Great FREE lessons. I'm 54 but picked a banjo four years ago and a mando last year. We never arrive we just keep riding the train[ing]. Your fingers will overcome.You never know when you'll need a good lawyer.  Best Regards...marcalan

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

Welcome  to the journey. I'm another 40 yr old. Loving it!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Oh yeh practise pain practise pain practise....joy...keep going!

aka ......   Boxer Petal....<3

Hello Bri,

And welcome to Cordie. I am one of the older members here being 60 years young and I have been playing since was 11 but I have to admit I am still learning.

I must say that your arrival here is quite timely, as a Lawyer perhaps you can give the definative answer to copyright on the songs that some of us post on here. The question raised recently on: http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5475

I am sorry to throw this at you on your introduction to the site but you do have knowledge that most of us do not. Rest assured that we will all return the favour by giving what help and advice we can with your queries.

Thank you,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hello wordsworth & welcome to chordie and the chordie forum!
Lots of helpful information and entertaining individuals at this site.  I stumbled onto it a couple of years ago and became an avid user.  It has helped me to learn more about making music.  I have also made some marvelous friends.

I don't play guitar - I play autoharp (and bassoon).  Used to play bass until a hand injury made that too hard.  I love to sing and get great pleasure from learning new songs.  I started writing songs a couple of years ago - an endlessly challenging and rewarding creative process.

For a living, I teach Statistics at a university.  Happily married 51 year old guy with two children and too many dogs.  Live in a small town where we have many friends and life is good.

I was lucky to start learning about music as a kid.  Still don't know it all and am still learning every day.  I have a MySpace Music page where I share recordings of my songs:
  http://www.myspace.com/r200james

It's great that you have somebody to help you start learning guitar technique - don't get discouraged, keep practicing, and have fun with it!

Oh, and what exactly is the difference between a solicitor and a barrister?
Is one like the rhythm guitarist and the other like the lead player? 
James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Welcome!
Got my first guitar for my my 40th Birthday, 6 years ago,  my addiction is very serious--for instance I gutted a bathroom in my house about 6 months ago...it's still gutted due to finances, but I have found the cash for two new guitars! 
My wife jumped into the mix 2 years ago with a bass, and I'm giving her an acoustic for christmas.
Good to have you.
Frank.

In answering both questions i will first address the one about copyright if i may.

I tried to follow the link given but for some reason it did not work. However, in general if a person only uses the music for his/her own pleasure there are no problems.

If a person is intending to use the music on a professional basis copyright laws apply unless the artist in question has been dead for 30 years or more.

The difference between a Solicitor and a Barrister is simple. A Solicitor gathers all the legal information i.e. statements and other paper work puts together the legal argumment and the Barrister presents this to the court in their own persuasive way.

I hope this answers thses questions

Bri,

Fellow 41 year old here. I've been playing professionally for 24 years. Mostly small, local, gigs but somehow, someway the bills almost always manage to get paid. Your quest to learn at your age is admirable but not uncommon. I teach a few guitar lessons on the side and a great percentage of my students are over 40. It is never too late for one to learn and one can  never become too good to improve. That's the beautiful thing about music, it's a constant evolution of progress and creation. If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to ask. As you see from the responses you've received  there are many good people here on Chordie willing and eager to share their knowledge.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Thanks Southpaw.

Yeah people are really friendly. I'm sure i will have loads of questions in the future.

Have a nice xmas everyone.

Bri

Hi Bri
Welcome to the world of chordie where a nice bunch of guitar fans assemble.
I think the older more mature guitar player is well represented here so you will be in good company.:)
Questions will without exception get an answer so fire away.

Ark

Hi Bri and welcome ( as if you needed more of a welcome than ye already got)

Well I am now feeling like a youngster ( probably because I am,lol) at 37.

Never too late to learn as others here have proven.

enjoy learning and enjoy playing, once you dont enjoy it, give up!! ,lol

Picking songs out of chordie will help you a lot, especially with the chord charts for chords you do not know.
Just remember, take your time and dont try too much at once like I have a habit of doing.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

HI all,

I'm from Italy and 44

I went acoustic in 1981 but i've played only 2 weaks/year, so you can count me among the beginners.

I'm very pleased to find chordie and meet you all here.

Hi Duilio
Welcome to Chordie hope you stick around a while.
Ark

hi Duilio
welcome

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi Bri and Duilio,
You have come to the right place.  If was not for these neat people here, I would've have probably gave up.  I was a guitar player many years ago and halted because of a busy life and then only picked up the guitar a couple of years ago and was starting to stagnate until I found this site.  Everything is here to keep you motivated.  So keep playing and keep at Chordie.  Give it heaps.  ENJOY.
Look forward to hearing from you.

"If You Always Do What You've Always Done - You'll Always Get What You've Always Got !"

Welcome to Chordie, wordsworth and Duilio, enjoy your time here. I started playing guitar at 18 years of age and still goin at 62. I kind of taught myself how to play well strum chords at least. lol

I love singing too, it gives me an outlet to, well, express myself I think and it if it feels good - do it.

So keep on keeping on wordsworth it can be very rewarding in the end, if their is an end big_smile

My life is brilliant... Of this I'm sure.