Topic: the funeral classics

10 classic songs, used on a funeral. Of course the list is longer and depends of the country.
AMAZING GRACE: What's the story behind this song? When I watch a movie, and there is a funeral, you will hear this song in 90% of the funerals. Where are the roots of this song: Scotland-Ireland?
1) My heart will go on                Celine Dion
2) Candle in the Wind                 Elton John
3) The Wind Beneath My Wings   Bette Middler     
4) Search For The Hero              M-People
5) My Way                                Frank Sinatra
6) You'll Never Walk Alone         Rogers & Hammerstein
7) Please release me                 Englebert Humperdinck
8) Memory                                Elaine Page
9) Strangers in the Night            Frank Sinatra
10) Bright Eyes                          Art Garfunkel
Some other songs 
- Only the Good Die Young - Billy Joel
- Con Te Partiro (Time to Say Goodbye) - Andrea Bocelli
- Let it Be                            The Beatles
- Bowin' in the Wind + Forever Young - Bob Dylan
- Funeral for a Friend - Elton John (this is a song you "chordians" can come to play when I'm gone)
- I'm Your Angel - R. Kelly (with Celine Dion)

A VERY BEAUTIFUL ONE IS: "Wish you were here" by Pink Floyd.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: the funeral classics

Nice question, I WISH IT WAS TRUE

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Always look on the bright side...........Monty Python.........easy to play too.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

The ultimate funeral song; Hows 'bout the old Jazz Funeral march, "When The Saints Go Marching In."  Also go on and add John Prines' "Please Don't Bury Me" to the list as well. My Grandmother has stated that she wants me to play this tune at her funeral when she kicks the big bucket. Hopefully I'll have many more years before I have to do this.

Give everything but up.

You're scaring me

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

"Oh Danny Boy" is a very popular song at wakes.
(Around here, a wake is the evening before the funeral.  Friends and family gather to socialize and reminisce.  Traditionally some of the attendees will also 'sit vigil' through the night with the coffin)

Personally, this is one of the songs I want sung at my wake:  "My Last Refrain"  by Me!
Here it here:
http://www.myspace.com/r200james
(It is the 3rd one down on the list of 6 songs currently posted)

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

PEACE IN THE VALLEY - Elvis Presley

My wife knows I want Please Don't Bury Me by John Prine played at my funeral !

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.g … 15117.html

Doc - Amazing Grace from Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Grace

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I have never been to a funeral that didn't play 'go rest high on that mountain' by vince gill....

All You Need is Love smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

alvee i did'nt wamt to say it but its kinda scaring me too.

Yeah. 1st the doc asks about things to write on headstones now it's what to play at funerals. Am I the only one who's noticed this?

Doc?

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Already thanks to all my beloved (everyone) chordians.
Charlotte, remarkable, it is on the list too, also the song John Prines' "Please Don't Bury Me", like Southpaw wrote, together with "When The Saints Go Marching In." Actually, I saw it with my own eyes, sitting very lazy somewhere in New Orleans on a balcony. One hour later I had the honour to   see Hillary Clinton (1992, September) followed by a lot of "jazz bands", I was witness of the BIG ELECTION SHOW. THAT: you won't find in Europe. The funeral, Afro-American with the closest family dancing, it is really strange. I don't know nothing about this culture, but I start to understand more and more thanks to you all. ELECTION TIME, throwing with mud, trying to look if a candidate has smoked a joint, this is probably the most difficult thing to understand. Especially the elections, and the Florida connection, where G.W's brother should give a big, big statue to his brother. I don't have a clue (maybe a little) how the elections are in the USA. There is a council who votes, and the winner takes it all, about that council or the "donations".
go rest high on that mountain' by vince gill is unknown to me.
AMAZING GRACE, is this song on a lot of funerals, or when a police officer dies, I don't know, except when watching a movie. I once had all papers AND a place to start as MD in South-Africa, with to opportunity to start where ever I wanted later, because it is part of the British Commonwealth. In between 2 trips, I met that nurse, killing me by being EGOCENTRIC, she even hated my daughter, afrauid that I would neglect her.
So to answer on your posts, I am more self assured, more "black" humour, Chordie, DVD, and my days are passing very fast. I JUST HAVE TO LISTEN TO MY BODY, but sometimes there is no possibility to listen.

Well,
I have a request for my own funeral that is written down and in safe hands.
I want   Freebird  to be played and also  Everybody hurts

And if possible I want the words up on a big screen for everyone to sing along.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

amazing grace is probably the most well known hymn of all time, I guess thats why a lot of people have it at funerals. 'Go rest high' is a country song which was extremely popular during the nineties (in america anyway), the music can be bought at christian bookstores in convenient packaging because its so commonly used in funerals.... 'roun here anyhow...

'go rest high
on that mountain
son you're work on earth is done
Go to heaven a shoutin'
Look for the father and the son'

Russell_Harding wrote:

this is reminding me of the movie M.A.S.H. where the dentist "painless" thinks he is a fairy and takes a black pill and gets laid. why all the intrests in the grim realities of the final "reward"? come on for crying out loud if i was all that interested in post mortums i would spemd more time reading the obituaries.at the count of three everyone wake up !1....2....3............................................................................................................................................................................................................is this kansas ?

If you're not happy with the topic at hand, participate in a forum discussion that better suits your likes. There are many other areas to participate in Death is dark but it is real. It's a part of the spiritual and actual universe. I see no problem entertaining people's funeral wishes. It's interesting( to me at least) to see what people want to have played at their final gig.

Give everything but up.

I have thought of this.  I would like my funeral to pass along to the attendees, presumably friends in mourning rather than enemies celebrating, some songs that sum up the way I feel about things.

"Hard Working Pilgrim" - a bluegrass standard, but I don't know who first performed it or wrote it
"Holding up the Ladder" - another bluegrass standard for which I also lack knowledge
"Right on Time" by Randy Travis (I'm not sure who wrote it, Randy Travis performed the version I heard)
"Peace in the Valley" - by everybody from Elvis to Johnny Cash to Randy Travis to ... - anyway it's a possibility

A friend wrote a good song called "Remember the Nail" that's a good one.  It may not be appropriate to a funeral, but is surely appropriate to an evangelistic event.  I would like my funeral to be an evangelistic event. 

Out of left field:
"And When I Die" by Blood, Sweat, and Tears - I'm sure it'll tick off some folks, but it's a realistic look at life and it's end "I'd swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no Hell."  I know there's a heaven, but the irony isn't lost on me.

I am willing to wait for a long time to see whether my decisions change. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Out of left field:
"And When I Die" by Blood, Sweat, and Tears -

- Zurf

Good one Zurf - Added to my list.

Here's a one hit wonder that seems appropriate

Spirit In The Sky - Norman Greenbaum

Funerals here on the Emerald our Like big parties.

We have the old fashioned tradition of waking the dead. Some of these where the  Best Gatherings i ever attended.  Some people here love funerals so much so we have named them
"Scut The Coffin" I was at one some time ago and as the coffin slowely moved away they played "Smoke Gets in your Eyes" the elderly deceased party piece . I personally was nearly scraped off the floor laughing. God i nearly busted my gut that day.
Some Churches refuse to allow music other then hymns.
My oldest brother wants a New Orleans type funeral. with all the brass and stuff.
My young Sisters funeral Mass was full of Jim croce, Joan Baez, bette Midler.

I also attended a funeral recently. While waiting for the hearse to arrive, i was talking to the grave digger.  I was asking him was he ever short one when stock takng? lol   He pointed out a beautiful New big headstone recently installed.  On the front it says.
I have no problem dying, i just dont want to be there! when it happens!  Now i wouldnt mind sharing my journey with the owner of that grave!. lol

These are just 2 of my chosen pieces for my  Funeral Mass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLdGUfJsC0

Iris Dement. When My Morning comes around.

Slán { well not just yet }

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

peace in the valley is a hymn, several country artists have performed it, but you could easily find it in a hymnal somewhere. I've always liked that song. Not sure about the two bluegrass songs, but alot of songs in that genre are traditional spirituals...
One I would like at my funeral 'Mansion Over the Hilltop', kind of bouncy and upbeat for a funeral but the words seem appropriate.
'...and like the prophet my pillow a stone, and though I find here no permanent dwelling I know He'll give me a mansion my own...'

In Hard Working Pilgrim, it's a song about a fellow who passes on and is in front of the Lord basically saying, I'm sure I've messed up from time to time, but I've been a true believer and a hard working pilgrim all the way. 

"Don't know how to preach a sermon
'nary a way to make a start
But I'm a God-fearing Christian
Trying best to do my part."   
Going from memory, probably messed it up some, but that's the way with Bluegrass.  Get close and folks'll let it slide.

In Holding up the Ladder, he's talking about a ladder to heaven held up by angels.  He climbs it all his life, and when he reaches the top he's dead but the angels are rejoicing at having another believer come home.  It sums up the idea of being a Christian as a journey rather than a single event or a defining title. 

I like the idea of both of those songs.  Unfortunately for this being a guitar site, the versions I know of both of those songs are a capella harmonized versions.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Geeze – How did we miss it?

Tears in Heaven – Eric Clapton - should be one of the tops on the list.

Now I’ll get a little personal (which is hard for me). I think the reason I rarely bring it up, and even feel guilty when it is mentioned is because it is so sad, and I don’t like to be a buzz kill. Anyway, here goes.

A few years ago I lost a son, Chris after a 6 year fight with childhood cancer. When first diagnosed (at age 10), the docs gave him only a year to live. So in many respects, there were a lot of positives that came in his last six years of life. He fell in love with a girl and with music (he was a drummer) which were 2 things I never thought he would experience.

Chris was a huge Metallica fan. It just so happened as he was fighting his last battle, Metallica was touring and played a show near us. One of the medical staff had connections (knew somebody who knew somebody…) and although we received back stage passes and had nurses that volunteered to travel with Chris, he was just to sick to go to the show.

The guys from Metallica went out of their way for Chris. Phoned him in his hospital room, sent a runner from the show with an autographed set list, Lars (who Chris idolized), sent a set of sticks. But the biggest thing was a dedication to Chris (which they sent a CD copy of), with James saying “This is for Chris† just before breaking into “Nothing Else Matters†. That song brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it (and I’m fighting a few back here just typing this).

topdown,
   My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry for your loss. Being a father of 2, I just couldn't imagine how I could go on if something were to happen to one of them. I admire you. Even though Chris was dealt a bad hand with his illness I'm sure you made everyday of his life a blast. That was some very touching stuff with Metallica. I have a whole new respect for them.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Thanks for sharing Topdown.  I'm sure it was hard.

- Zurf

Topdown - I'm sure everyone reading that post would join in sending their condolences.  If they could spell it!  In the midst of life...

Cheers

I'm the son of rage and love

Hello Topdown
You have earned the right to your sadness and tears, so let them flow and rage if need be for you.
The reason i came to Chordie was because my young baby Sister died. Yoingest of 11 in family.

An absolute heartache to all. The missing doesn't go. The physical missing is even worse.
God Almighty  i dont know how id cope if i lost one of my sons.

Death is a concept that refers to endings. Endings need boundaries. Your dimensionless self
has no Bounderies. You are and will be always with your Son.

My heart crys  for and with yours in this time and space Topdown,

Dia Linn { God To You}

My positive thoughts to you and your Family.

Slán

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks everybody for the kind words and thoughts. I think reading some of the songs here where people pour out there emotions in verse probably allowed me to open up a little.

I’m a glass half full kinda guy, and really try to find the positives in any situation. While Chris’ illness and subsequent passing were certainly the cause of many trying times, there were also an awful lot of positives that came out of it. He touched so many in his life, and I think was responsible for positive changes in many, many people. I know that I changed drastically almost immediately after his original diagnosis. I used to be so career oriented, worked many long hours. But after Chris got sick, I realigned my priorities. Family and friends are much more important that the mighty dollar and I do try to make the best of every day.

Chris was a trooper. He fought the good fight, chemo, radiation, bone marrow transplant – treatments whose side effects I wouldn’t wish on anybody. But he did it all with a smile on his face and could make you laugh through it all. Like I said, in many ways we felt blessed because he gave us 5 years we weren’t expecting. He realized this himself and enjoyed his time that much more. He was at peace with his Lord at the end and had no fear.

Thanks again everybody, and if reading these messages causes just one person to think, give your kid a hug, and enjoy your days here just a little more that will add to Chris’ legacy. Please don’t feel sorry for me, have a smile for Chris.