Topic: MUSIC, SCHOOL, UNIVERSITY

I love movies, having a giant surround system (a gift from me to me, when they told me to stop working because too disabled). There was a time, when you started as medical doctor, you could take over an existing office, with a lot of patients, allowing you to start immediately and having patients. If you are a pharmacist and you decide to stop, you get easy 700.000 to 750.000$, as a doctor now: NOTHING.
But this topic is about what I see on TV:
1) a scholarship for a university. WHO GETS A SCHOLARSHIP? and what about basket ball players, getting a scholarship for world famous Universities like Harvard?

2) MUSIC: is a musical education, like learning to read music, free, or do they teach you music on school, college, like they teach math? or English? or is it a choice?

I know that they have in Oxford (UK) a POP MUSIC university.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: MUSIC, SCHOOL, UNIVERSITY

You can major in music in college, a friend of mine's been taking I think 3 years now. They teach music theory, reading sheet music, some musical history I think. Its mostly geared towards a classical style, but music theory can help anybody.
  While in High-school you can take band, but I found it very unhelpfu because everywhere I've ever taken it didn't take music very seriously, and you learned almost nothing. I had one good band instructor one year, he taught about timing and half beats, but he quit the next year and band became study hall.....
There are music schools too, some even for specific styles, as far as scholarships go I'm not sure how you would get one for a music major. I know there's a program (something 'for the arts') thats geared towards helping students get art and music schooling....

All You Need is Love smile

I think I mentioned in my Ali Bain and Phil Cunningham review of their concert in November that three Scottish girls from Elgin are the first in the word to get a degree in " folk music".
I am not too sure where in Scotland the university or college is where they got it though.

Also other colleges in the UK do Music degrees.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

My former boss had a bachelors degree in music theory and a master's in piano from Julliard.  That got her exactly nothing in the job market, so she also earned doctorates in education and statistics.   I have another friend who holds a degree in jazz bass.  I was offered scholarships to Peabody Conservatory and Shenandoah Conservatory, but chose to go the business route rather than the musical route.  Higher education and scholarships are definitely available in music. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

UYK, Rebel and Zurf, do you know what I wanted to become? My father was a MD like me, but died suddenly in 1974, proud because I studied the same.
If I should have a chance to start it all over, I should start studying to become a lawyer.
- I should go to music school, being 12 years, learning to read music, and as instrument guitar or piano.
- Once studying at the University, I should continue to improve my skills. After these studies, you have an option, and work 3 years with or for a lawyer, which allows you to defend people in court, or you start working a juridical adviser. Time to study=5 years (8, if you want to defend people in court). My 5 years are finished, my music skills are better by the day, and I can read and play the most complicated songs. I should go to the UK, to follow modern music, and once having my paper, going to the USA to obtain a bachelor or a master's degree.
I think that this combination has a lot to offer, like plagiarism, working in a major RECORD company, and able to play guitar, piano very good.
Problem: you are 18 when you start, and you will be 30 when you finish.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]