Topic: The Capo

I sing at the baritone level and am wondering when I should capo my guitar.

Re: The Capo

I believe that would be at the 7th fret.

Not to be a smart alec, but when you feel like it. 

You've got a couple options, change the key by playing different chords until you find a key that you can sing in properly or play the chords as written and capo to a fret that fits your singing range.  Each has pros and cons. 

I sing in a baritone range as well and just mess with the chord changie thing until I get a song to "D".  I can usually sing in "D" reasonably well.    Then again, I don't own a capo.  If I had a capo, I'd try both ways to see what I liked.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

once you learn all basic chords  abcdefg  you do not need a capo. the capo is for changing the tone of the music not the key people use the capo as a cheat, because they can not play the chords in the key ,way to much. push yourself to learn the chords and you will be happier with yourself i use a capo to change the tone not the chords
good luck
happy pickin'
randy

always pickin someting

While I respect rstauffe's opinion, mine varies a little.  If it works, use it.  He's right about the capo changing the tone, but that's surely not the only usefulness of the little wonder. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Any song in the key of "Bb" is a killer for me. By using a capo on the 1st fret (it now becomes my index finger for a barre or nut) I can play an open A chord, an open D chord and an open E chord to the song. Now even though I am now playing simple open chords I am still playing in the key of Bb. To play a song in the Key of Bb without a capo and using only barre chords you would have to make an A shaped barre chord, a D shaped barre chord and a E shaped barre chord. My old fingers just ain't built that away. 'Nuff said.

Nela

Playing guitar should be fun. No matter what level you are at. There is nothing better (for me) than learning a favourite song and then hearing it coming from my fingers. I'll admit to still being uncomfortable with a couple of chords and if I can make it easier to have fun by simlpy using a capo then I'll not hesitate. Same for changing key. Some may think it's cheating but while I'm still working on perfecting some chords then in order to have fun, rock out or sing-a-long then I'll capo when I feel like it.

Of course all this doesn't mean I'll not keep practicing the uncomfortable chords. Of course I will. But in the mean time it's nice to end a hard session with a bit of fun. Or it's fantastic to have a sing song with your friends and family. Capo please!

Cheers

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I use a capo, not because i need to but because i like the open chord sound and  some moving voice lines you play in the 1st posistion sound really nice on the upper frets

"Growing old is not for sissies"

9 (edited by geoaguiar 2008-01-11 21:59:27)

Russell_Harding wrote:

I use a capo, not because i need to but because i like the open chord sound and  some moving voice lines you play in the 1st posistion sound really nice on the upper frets

Exactly dead on Russell. Sometimes it's the "best sounding way" I can play most any chord reasonably well with practice...sometimes a capo just "seems' like the best way to go. I've always disliked people calling it cheating. It it feels good, sounds good and it's fun then it's all good. Please do NOT apply this theory to other aspects of life.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

rstauffe wrote:

once you learn all basic chords  abcdefg  you do not need a capo. the capo is for changing the tone of the music not the key people use the capo as a cheat, because they can not play the chords in the key ,way to much. push yourself to learn the chords and you will be happier with yourself i use a capo to change the tone not the chords
good luck
happy pickin'
randy

This is the most ridiculous reply to a question I have read on chordie.
You have a lot to learn about humans.
We are all different with different ways of talking,thinking and living and  and and  and wait for it…………………..playing the guitar, as well as other instruments. So for you to reply like that is very wrong indeed and I hope no one listens to you.

Cheating you say if you use a capo? So eric clapton cheats? David gilmour? Pete townshend? I have even seen angus young playing an acoustic with a capo on. Are all these guitarists not professional enough for you?
As has already been said the capo is used for various reasons as well as maybe your point of view on it.
So before you get help up onto that big pedestal that you managed to climb up and look down upon the mere cheats of society and tell them whats what instead of just giving a helping hand on your own advice, think first. I am sure your parents must have taught you how to do that?

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

upyerkilt wrote:
rstauffe wrote:

good luck
happy pickin'
randy

We are all different with different ways of talking,thinking and living and  and and  and wait for it…………………..playing the guitar, as well as other instruments. So for you to reply like that is very wrong indeed and I hope no one listens to you.

Cheating you say if you use a capo? So eric clapton cheats? David gilmour? Pete townshend? I have even seen angus young playing an acoustic with a capo on. Are all these guitarists not professional enough for you?
As has already been said the capo is used for various reasons as well as maybe your point of view on it.
So before you get help up onto that big pedestal that you managed to climb up and look down upon the mere cheats of society and tell them whats what instead of just giving a helping hand on your own advice, think first. I am sure your parents must have taught you how to do that?

Ken

Dead ON!!!!!!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I like zurf's answer "when you feel like it" it sums it up very well

rstauffe wrote:

good luck
happy pickin'
randy

Randy,
    I hate to pile on in the slam fest but this is a pretty empty statement. I used to have a similar "I don't need no stinkin' capo" attitude towards guitar too. Guess what happened? I grew up and became smarter. I realized that one's life as a guitarist can be much easier with a capo. When you start playing 4 hour gigs 5 or more nights a week a capo can be a great little helper. The use of a capo not only saves ones fingers and joints but adds a nice texture variation to ones musical presenatations as well. Join the capo gang, you know you want to..............

Give everything but up.

I use a capo quite often and was thinking of buying one of those G7th Performance ones as shown here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G7TH-PERFORMANCE- … dZViewItem

Has anyone any opinions on these?

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I bet they work good Al, but for that price they bleeding well better lol
£20 for a capo? I thought my "KYSER" capo I got for a tenner was good enough. it works fine on my 6 string guitars and my 12 string.

I tihnk on ebay ye can get a kyser for £12 -13 inc. p&p

but if they are really good I might consider one of these sometime

Ken

A cappo absolutely changes the key of the instrument.  It's what it's for.

Do some people use it as an excuse not to barre?  Yes.  Is there a need for it?  Yes.

If I'm playing bluegrass in F, I'm putting the cappo on.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Shoot, if I'm playing bluegras in F, I'm pulling out my bass! 

You know, I actually have capoed my bass.  It was pretty cool.  The lead guitarist has some chord charts he pulled out 15 minutes before the start of the gig.  We all thought the song was cool and wanted to give it a go.  Unfortunately, the chords were all written for capo on 3.  I'm not good enough with transposing on the fly to put together a line raw and play well enough for being on stage.  So we decided to capo the bass and give it a go backstage.  Worked like a charm.  I play a fretless, so I used a tuner to get the capo in just the right spot, but it worked just dandy.   We had the rhythm guitarist do a little stage banter while I diddled with the tuner and the capo and when I 'accidentally' bumped a note while she was speaking, we started. 

- Zurf

sorry i did not mean to offend any one !!!! my point was to pratice and learn the chords absolutly fantastic musicians use capo's for various reasons but try to learn the chords  your feet are safe i was not stepping on toes
randy

always pickin someting

I know all  the basic chords, but I'm not that good at transposing on the spot, so I use a capo for that and when you're for instance playing E on 7 and 9 and you leave the bottom string and top two open, but you play F or something. things like that.

To reach out with your hands/ See the world through your eyes/ To live with the love of the savior/ To feel with your heart/ And think with your mind/I'd give my last breath for your glory!!!

rstauffe wrote:

sorry i did not mean to offend any one !!!! my point was to pratice and learn the chords absolutly fantastic musicians use capo's for various reasons but try to learn the chords  your feet are safe i was not stepping on toes
randy

thanks for that Randy
And appologies from myself if I seemed a bit cheeky in my reply.

Sometimes we get the odd person coming in and thinking their way is gospel, nothing else will do etc, your post seemed to have looked like that, sorry.

but yeah, learning more and more chords is good and very usefull thing to do.
But stil....:lol: give me that capo lol

Ken

geoaguiar wrote:
upyerkilt wrote:
rstauffe wrote:

good luck
happy pickin'
randy

Ken

Strong reply pal but in essence quite accurate.
Dead ON!!!!!!!!

Zurf wrote:

You know, I actually have capoed my bass.  It was pretty cool.

- Zurf

I dunno how slapping a C-clamp and a 2x4 on my bass' neck is cool.   big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

i checked out the performance capo i cant see blowing that much on a capo mine works fine

A capo is a great tool that everyone should have...It doesn't replace the ability to transpose or to know more chords but often makes things much easier...for example a lot of the gospel music that I play is written in flats and when following the piano player I'll use a capo to find an easier chord pattern to work with than to play in flats. I also use a capo on the higher frets of a guitar for rythym to get a mandolin type sound.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

jerome.oneil wrote:
Zurf wrote:

You know, I actually have capoed my bass.  It was pretty cool.

- Zurf

I dunno how slapping a C-clamp and a 2x4 on my bass' neck is cool.   big_smile

Well I admit it looked a little funny.  big_smile

Nah.  We used a plain old spring loaded capo out of the lead guitarists kit bag.  We were about to ditch the song when he said, "Well too bad you can't capo a bass."  "You can't?", I asked.   I don't know much, and not knowing that it can't be done we figured to give it a try.  It worked out just fine.