Topic: Met a fellow Chordian today.

Thought others might like to hear about our hook-up.

GuitarPix packed up 3 of his guitars and made a 3 hour drive to my place today. I told him he must be crazy to travel that far to play with such a beginner, but I really appreciate his effort. Pix is truly a great guy. Although we (really he) did play for much of the afternoon, most of the time I just picked his brain and he had so much information and knowledge to share. I have only been playing for about 6 months, so I am a bit nervous playing in front of others, and today was the first time I have ever done so. I learned more about guitars, (construction, woods, brands, set-ups) this afternoon that I could learn in weeks of research. Additionally he offered several tips to help me with my barre chords (that I have been struggling with), as well as strumming tips and methods. The opportunity to just watch another guitarist and be able to question (how do you do that?, what are you doing there?), is invaluable. AND, besides him making the drive and sharing his knowledge, he also left me a set of strings and a handful of picks! Talk about generous! I definitely got the better end of this deal.

I’d like to thank GuitarPix profusely and recommend that if any others out there have the chance to meet up with fellow musicians do so. I learned a TON today, no telling how long it would have taken to gain this on my own. I only hope that someday I am able to repay this favor.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: Met a fellow Chordian today.

thats cool "hey guitarpix why dont you drive up to wisconsin its only a few hundred miles I could use some strings and picks

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hey Topdown, Just got in... Had a great time today! I appreciate your hospitality. Your a great guy and getting along really well with the guitar! Seriously man, your doing great! I'll send those links to ya by email tomorrow.  I'm checking into some of the music we talked about today right now before I forget...lol  I'm looking forward to doing it again sometime! I could tell as soon as I saw my wife when I got home how the game went...lol Can't get 'em all huh...

Russell, you buy me a plane ticket and I'll hand deliver you some strings and picks...lol

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

its a deal but first i gotta make some more"scratch"

It occurs to me that chordie should apply for membership in the United Nations.

This website has done a lot to open up friendships across national and state borders.

If music is the universal language, then chordie is the universal soundtrack!

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

One of these days we all need to have a kind of chordian convention. Like just pick a place go tent city it and hang out and play, pick each others brains and have a grand old time. Maybe sometime when the weather is not so darn cold. I know it might be tough to get the whole crew together but we could start small and have little regional get togethers. Who knows, maybe some day we could all head up Per's way.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

jets60 wrote:

One of these days we all need to have a kind of chordian convention. Like just pick a place go tent city it and hang out and play, pick each others brains and have a grand old time. Maybe sometime when the weather is not so darn cold. I know it might be tough to get the whole crew together but we could start small and have little regional get togethers. Who knows, maybe some day we could all head up Per's way.

Sounds great to me!   Sort of a Chordie Woodstock...lol A weekend of campfires and guitars...It'd be a ball for sure! Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

THIS IS AN AMAZING story.
I loved to tell to all chordians: YOU REALLY MAKE "REAL" FRIENDS HERE

And JETS60= YOU STOLE MY IDEA!!!!  yikes   lol    big_smile
JET this proves again how we are related too each other. That makes CHORDIE great, like minded, same passion
I have too many posts, but I do think I wrote this to a person too.

So EARLIER I wrote is = If there can be a convention,  if we can solve all different problems, how, where, what, when we will have one. The only point is HOW MUCH.
I suggested LAS VEGAS NV = big hotels, cheap hotels, like STRATOSPHERE or CIRCUS CIRCUS. I am busy all the time, and if my condition improves, I want to see again LAS VEGAS,  Because of my situation, I am often on the web, to see and compare hotel prices. Very great, nice and affordable hotels are, IF we arrive in juin:
- The Stratosphere hotel: World Tower - Deluxe King Smoking
Sun. 1 $49.99   
Mon. 2 $49.99   
Tue. 3 $44.99
Wed.4 $44.99
Thu. 5 $44.99
From 06/01/2008 to 06/06/2008 = $250  2 on 1 room = 125$ each in Euro = €85, 00 CAN you believe this prices? I've been 2 or 3 times there, breakfast, dinner: together maybe 30$ all included.
The airplane price, will be different.
THE BIG QUESTION IS: ARE WE ABLE TO FIND SPONSORS? Like Ed Roman, or a local Music Store? If not in Juin: September -October, as long as this "happening" doesn't take place in July & August = DOUBLE prices. Some chordians can pay this easy, others will have difficulties. If you take September, everyone who likes this can put 15$ a month away.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Vegas view.com: same period, same hotel = 8$ cheaper
Circus Circus = $250 too.
$45     Sun
$45      Mon
$45     Tue
$41     Wed
$41     Thu
Palace Station = $175 for a room = 85$ 2 in 1 room.
This is the main reason why I prefer VEGAS. When I booked a hotel on line for the first time, there where maybe 10 on line offices to book. These are still reliable, like Orbitz....
About prices: different from online agency to agency.
The flights, ALWAYS cheaper with a weekend included. Some are very expensive
Orbitz, PROBLEM: OIL:  825$ = € 555.
BRUSSELS - NEW YORK = 555$ = 373€. Sorry for all that information.
I am dreaming of a reunion or a big "jam" conference and as told, having the time, this keeps me busy.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

doc my brother owns a home in vegas i can stay for free and because i lost 60 lbs he will pay my airfare round trip so im in it has to be in summer or early fall when the weather is nice i lived in vegas for 7 yrs so i know my way around

great stuff topdown and guitarpix.

I met someone that comes into chordie a few weeks ago but they do not post  anything, only reads the things we all type and he enjoys reading it. He noticed me because I had a chordie t shirt on and told me what a great site it was, when i told him my user name he looked shocked that he met someone from a website that he goes to.

BUT, this March hopefully all going well I might get to meet my Ma, my Irish MA all of oor irish Ma, Old Doll.
Old yin, I will send ye an email later when I get round to remembering,lol. I am coming over on the 14th March until 17th. My mate is getting marrried on the 15th then flying out to australia straight after it leaving me his whole house for the rest of my stay. So hopefully meet up with ye.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hey, I lost 60 pounds a few years ago (and found thirty of it again).  Will Russell's brother pay for me to go to Vegas?  Will he cover my losses? 

Seriously, though, have a campground near a river in the mid-Atlantic and I will make an effort to be there. 

Jets-60, if you're into fishing, there are a couple of terrific fishing/camping/music weekends I can recommend to you not far from us.  Assuming your definition of "not far" includes West Virginia and Kentucky.  It's closer than Belgium or Ireland or Scotland anyway.  Tough paddle to Scotland.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I think if you folkes are serious about organizing a "Chordie-stock" serious consideration should be given to bringing it  to the Tampa, FL area. I have many venues that would be a great gathering spot for us all to share our music with each other and random tourists/local patrons. It may take a while but I think with some careful planning and tactful scheduling we could make it work. Two major obstacles, a venue for performing and a sound system, are taken care of if we opt to have this gathering in "my neck of the woods". Just some food for thought. I also have friends who are in the hotel,real eastate business and with enough advance I feel confident that we could get some very good rates on rooms. This could turn into something huge!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Yep, a meeting of the chordie nation would be fun.

On the one hand, campgrounds are cheap but getting to the location would probably mean renting a car for many out-of-towners.  There's nothing better than a campfire to encourage creativity.  Most state parks have nice campgrounds with showers and large picnic shelters.  Sound system would only be needed for electric players who couldn't bring all their gear.

On the other hand, hotels are more accessible for travelers (airport shuttles, cabs, etc.) and civilized amenities are certainly convenient.  Plus, weather would not be a concern.  More expensive - but also possibly more attractive to spouses or companions that want to make the trip.  A group rate at a hotel would be necessary.

Hotel or campground wouldn't matter to me - the opportunity to meet and play is a great idea.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

I don't remember the reactions when I posted a similar question. I suggest:
- if not in 2008  (there are enough probably a lot who want to participate, but have financial difficulties. So EVERYONE has the time to save money.
- it should be great, playing together, learn a lot, and teach something
- going public, for all the EUROPEANS taking benefit of the € versus $
- play with 3-5 people = BUSKING with a BIG HAT in front, and a 6th to count all the money.
- camping, 6 packs, BBQ. And me, talking about Vegas????!!!!
- it would be even better if this MEETING, PLAYING has a few sponsors. Like wearing T-shirts with the name of a big music store, or HEINEKEN, Coca Cola. I AM 100% convinced that this sponsorship can be a reality.
IT MUST BE GREAT, I am already dreaming.

Man this is AWESOME! Who'd a thunk a little hook-up between 2 chordians in North Carolina could possibly lead to a larger "Chordie-stock"  gathering. That would truly be remarkable.

I think it would be cool to coordinate the date and location with one of the many music festivals that are held each spring / summer. I’d lean towards folk, blues or bluegrass, but there festivals for any genre.

Festival finder link – there are hundreds of ‘em:  http://www.festivals.com/music/

Why not start off small and do things per region. I don't know how things lay out across the big pond but here in the states you could have several "MINI CHORDIE STOCKS" all in different locations. IE: Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi. Or, North Carolina, South Carolina. Georga, Florida. Or, any others. Just a thought.

NELA

NELA wrote:

Why not start off small and do things per region. I don't know how things lay out across the big pond but here in the states you could have several "MINI CHORDIE STOCKS" all in different locations. IE: Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi. Or, North Carolina, South Carolina. Georga, Florida. Or, any others. Just a thought.

NELA

glasgow,balloch,edinburgh,hamburg,london,cork,dublin,birmingham, lol

I dont think i would save money to  fly over to america for this, not that I wouldnt want to but having family and a wife that thinks I should go abroad with her would stop me.
If I were to get a passport then I would have to say goodbye to many days up in the hills of scotland as she would force me to abroad with her. lol
She has been trying for 13 years t oget me abroad and if she found out a guitar site got me abroad the nit would be bye bye piece of paper saying I am married lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

19 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-01-14 21:15:18)

Monroe Stock in Monroe NC would be great for this area! They even had Tommy Emmanuel there last year! It would provide plenty of music related entertainment and yes there's a river close by with camping and excellent fishing...lol  Actually I fish these waters quite often and they offer some of the best blue and flathead fishing in the country! I've even got some friends that own river front property close by that I'm sure I could get permision from so it wouldn't have to be a crowded public campground. It'll be coming around this spring. If anyone is close enough and wants to attend get in touch with me and we'll try to organize something. Peace!

I would LOOOOOVE a chordie-stock!!

Here's hoping some of you more organised and together guys out there get something arranged. Alas, I'm only organised and business like during office hours....outside of these I revert back to the shambles that I really am!

Great idea, and great thread!

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

I'd be glad to help plan a "mini-chordi-stock" for the MerleFest bluegrass festival held here in NC. It's April 24th - 27th. Although billed as bluegrass, there is usually a pretty good mix - Last year Elvis Costello played, and Levon Helm is on this year's line-up.

Check it out:

http://www.merlefest.org/MerleFestCMS/d … 28_btnlink

I realize it is kind of short notice to pull something off this year, but maybe there are some in the area that are interested. This is a pretty popular festival and it's kinda late to start planning, so I don't know if we could get any group discounts at this point (kinda doubt it). But if folks would respond to this thread and / or shoot me an email I would be happy to gather the names and make some phone calls.

The link above has links to area campsites and hotels (although all of the local hotels appear full already). The festival is in Wilkesboro, NC - not much there really, but it is only about 45 minute drive to Winston-Salem to the east (where I live) or Boone / Blowing Rock to the west (beautiful mountains that we really enjoy) - Honestly if I were coming from out of town this is where I would stay anyway. Enjoy the mountains, a day trip to the festival (by bus to avoid the hassles) that would be the ticket. Lots of lodging in the boone / blowing rock area. Bus Route:

http://www.partnc.org/us421.html

Again, if anyone is interested, shoot me an email or just post here with dates you would like to travel and preferred accommodations. I'll gather the names and judging by the interest, we can go from there.

Maybe the first of many "mini-chordie-stocks" - Gotta think of a better name and get some T-shirts. smile

Zurf wrote:

Hey, I lost 60 pounds a few years ago (and found thirty of it again).  Will Russell's brother pay for me to go to Vegas?  Will he cover my losses? 

Seriously, though, have a campground near a river in the mid-Atlantic and I will make an effort to be there. 

Jets-60, if you're into fishing, there are a couple of terrific fishing/camping/music weekends I can recommend to you not far from us.  Assuming your definition of "not far" includes West Virginia and Kentucky.  It's closer than Belgium or Ireland or Scotland anyway.  Tough paddle to Scotland.

- Zurf

Hey Zurf - Fishing is okay but my favorite part was the sitting and waiting and drinking a beer or two. My son is more a fisherman than I am but he's out in the dirt for awhile. I do like the feel of Canaan Valley over in WV. Nice pretty area but I like outside of Asheville as well down in western NC. I really don't know where would be best. I'm not a big Vegas guy but if a bunch of Chordian go there I guess I could be convinced.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

I'm not going to Vegas.  I'll look at the pictures people post. 

I'll e-mail you a couple events I know about where a guitar player/songwriter will be welcome.  There will be plenty of opportunity to sit and wait and drink beer if you don't fish.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude