Topic: DIFFERENCE SIXTIES VERSUS SEVENTIES

I did write a similar topic, or better  a QUESTION.
- WHY are we still so "hooked" on music from the sixties. (IF YOU TAKE 1968, it seems now in 2008 as if it was yesterday: IMAGINE THIS 1968 + 40 years = 2008 and compare 1968 - 40 years = 1928!!!!!!!) If you look at this years, IT'S UNBELIEVABLE.)

- When did the sixties really end? WOODSTOCK? or after the dead of Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morisson, Janis Joplin? I don't know.
- What I know is: hippie culture, better A WHOLE LIFE STYLE, starting in the USA, were followed by similar cultures in Europe, always 3-5 years later.
- 1968 was this the "highlight"of the sixties, protest, world wide riots and great music. BUT what was the attitude of the conservative US citizens versus these "long-heard"youngsters. They claimed that they were anti capitalists, and today: most of the same anti materialistic groups became very rich.
- SO WHAT IS LEFT OF THIS MOVEMENT, WHERE AND WHY DID IT START and WHEN & WHY DID IT STOP? A lot of people think that the sixties were over, after the ALTAMONT Rolling Stones concert, where somebody was killed by the Hell's Angels. (DO THEY STILL EXIST?).
WHAT MADE THE SIXTIES  SO SPECIAL?
In 1973 I went to a concert of T-Rex, Marc Bolan on high heels, lipstick, weird clothes. Even the STONES didn't escape: GLAM ROCK= trying to add female stuff. Wasn't it strange even very funny to see Mick Jagger almost dressed like a woman?

ABOUT MUSIC, AGAIN: Why are a lot of people addicted to music from the Sixties.
Why do we remember more the attitude of 7ties bands than their music?

PUNK: A so called European phenomenon, starting with the SEX PISTOLS, is not correct. The SP manager Malcolm Mc Laren saw a concert of the New York Dolls, and back in the UK he manufactured and created an unknown style. I still remember me a lot of young people with "strange" hair, all the colours of the rainbow.
WHERE DID IT START, WHERE DID IT END.
I can still smell the "PATCHOULI". I had long hair, a beard and when studying I had to cut my hair. WHAT ARE YOUR EXPERIENCES, IMPRESSIONS about a "standing stone" era?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: DIFFERENCE SIXTIES VERSUS SEVENTIES

Well, my favorite music style is what I call "Sissified 70's Folk/Pop".  Check out my songbook in the other thread and you'll see what I mean.  Lots of Country in there too. 

There were basically two or three musical trends in the 70's.  First, there was the 60's stuff that went even more 60's-ish and became psychodelic.  Jefferson Airplane is one example.  Then there's the stuff I like - the sissified folk/pop, America, James Taylor, CSNY, and so forth.  Primarily signified by acoustic guitars and moving but simple "in the box" bass lines.  Then there's the rock that didn't QUITE die in the Sixties with all the bubble gum crap.  Neil Young and Iron Horse (the very first grunge band twenty years ahead of its time), Jimi Hendrix (also sort of psychodelic), Boston, The Who.  Electric bands with drums and basses and keyboards and explosions and long, long hair. 

By the end of the 70's, Disco killed everything that is right and good with music.  Music went and hid in a hole in the ground for twenty years and finally in the mid-90's some bands started playing rock again.  Yeah, I'm blowing off the hair bands and the stadium rockers and the punk bands of the 80's.  Counting Crows, Black Crowes, Sheryl  Crow.  Basically crow-based bands took over, and it was good to have a radio again. 

The folk/pop crowed started listening to Country in the interim and it moved from Freddy Fender in the 70's to Kenny Chesney in the 90's.  Now it's basically a grown up version of the folk/pop trend.  Some more folksy and some for poppy.  My radio is usually tuned to Country stations in my car.  It seems otherwise the options are garbage rock or rock I've been hearing for thirty years and not sure I liked 30 years ago.  It seems the good rock music these days is all done by indie artists.   Thank God and the internet for CD Baby and YouTube!!

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

The difference is as simple as pot vs cocaine.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

the 60's and 70's are the Golden age of rock because thats when it grew from being just simple Dance music, to an Art form.   Bands started adding different instruments, rhythms, etc.   This is when most of the genres of rock emerged,  Folk Rock, Country Rock, Acid Rock, Heavy metal, Jazz fusion,  Progressive rock,  Punk rock, and even Rap.

I just finished reading Eric Clapton's autobiography and the thing that stood out to me was the incredible music movement that took place in England in the 60's. Yea, we've all heard and know of the "British Invasion", but reading in his book about the concentration of truly remarkable talent - what a time to be alive in London! All of these fantastic "Supergroups" apparently springing up over night and all concentrated in a single location. I could just imagine seeing  The Yardbirds, The Stones, The Who, The Kinks, The Beatles and on and on - playing in CLUBS - sometimes together, on the same night! I don't think the world has ever seen such an assemblage of talent nor will it ever again. Absolutely incredible.

Now did the Rock movement start in America - I like to think so. Certainly Buddy Holley, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, were pioneers. But for some reason the Brits picked up on this and moved it to a whole other level. I was born in 1964 so I missed much of this "movement", but even growing up, my Mom was a huge music fan, so I must have been influenced even as a child.

So many of these musicians / bands broke down doors, created their own sounds unique to them and had never been even attempted before. Would Metallica be here without Black Sabbath? SRV without Clapton & Hendrix?  In many ways artists after this period were copies. You can make a case for disco being new (throw up), and even punk / new wave / grunge / alternative - whatever you want to call 'em - but in many ways on many songs at least, you still hear a "new" band and say - that kinda sounds like (pick a '60s or '70's band). I guess the bottom line is ground can only be broken once, after that you're just turning loose dirt. Now I appreciate new artists that have their own sound, so don't get me wrong - It's just seems like back then they all had it.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I grew up in the sixtys and remember well the British envasion! Lots of incredible talent with minimal equipment by today's standards. I've noticed that lots of the college aged folks here are really grooving to Led Zepplin, Early Clapton, and Beatles...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

jaygordon75 wrote:

I grew up in the sixtys and remember well the British envasion! Lots of incredible talent with minimal equipment by today's standards. I've noticed that lots of the college aged folks here are really grooving to Led Zepplin, Early Clapton, and Beatles...

I agree jay - I have a 16 year old son - as a youngster he went through a pop (rap really) stage when he was 10 or 12 that made me sick. Now he is all about the old classics, Zepplin, Sabbath, Aerosmith, etc. I think maybe the game Guitar Hero has had a big influence. Most of the songs on those games are old rock. I am very grateful!

Topdown, I just saw that you have a 16 years old son, who loves these groups or songs.
It's amazing how many youngsters love songs end 6ties and early 7ties. Something different, my daughter, 20 years now, she (and this sounds unbelievable) adored, and could sing along with "Knocking on heavens door and November Rain" with almost a similar voice or intonation. She doesn't remember it, but it was so funny.
Some songs stand as rock. Remember (Bob Dylan too) the Animals having a huge hit with the House of The Rising Son (About this song, if you listen to the lyrics, some phrases are changed depending of the performers), and the version of FRIJID PINK= WHO WERE THEY???
RAM JAM: Black Betty. How many people know that this is a cover version?
It seems to be a very old song. Lead Belly is credited as the author, though the earliest recordings are not by him. Some sources claim it is one of Lead Belly's many adaptations of earlier folk material; in this case an 18th century marching cadence about a flint-lock rifle.
I know the Lead Belly version, found it on an unbelievable CD box: 100 years music (Sony), he is not playing that song but he sings, tapping with his feet as rhythm.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Fridgid Pink? I had the 8 track. WoW

An interesting line on Frijid Pink from wiki:

They were so popular in Detroit at the time that the fledgling Led Zeppelin (who at the time was just getting started from the remnants of the New Yardbirds) opened up for them. =0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frijid_Pink