Topic: Where is the origin of the WORD "METAL"

Sounds stupid, but I don't know where that word is used.
They didn't play metal guitars I suppose. This are really "painful" questions, WE ALL KNOW THE NAME and a lot of bands play it WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT it means.
I know that it is LOUD and HARD PLAYED music but why METAL and not DIAMOND (is HARDER)

SO THINK CHORDIANS, THINK

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: Where is the origin of the WORD "METAL"

Because diamonds have value.

Sorry, metalheads.  I had to.  Don't get all up in arms, just a little cross-genre smacktalk.

I think it's because they tried to have an industrial sound and feel.  Think of big metal beams and pillars like you'd find in a bridge or joists for a skyrise building or enormous ship.  Think of rivets as big as your head, and I think you'll get the kind of "metal" feel they were going for with that name.

I've got no idea whether that's right, it's just what I always supposed they meant.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I recall when I played in what was the forrunner of metal it was callen hard rock and it gave birth to grunge and subsusquint ilk

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Here's some cool stuff I dug up pertaining to this topic;

Metal historian Ian Christe describes what the components of the term mean in "hippiespeak": "heavy" is roughly synonymous with "potent" or "profound," and "metal" designates a certain type of mood, grinding and weighted as with metal. The word "heavy" in this sense was a basic element of beatnik and later countercultural slang, and references to "heavy music"—typically slower, more amplified variations of standard pop fare—were already common by the mid-1960s. Iron Butterfly's debut album, released in early 1968, was titled Heavy. The first recorded use of heavy metal is a reference to a motorcycle in the Steppenwolf song "Born to Be Wild," also released that year :"I like smoke and lightning/Heavy metal thunder/Racin' with the wind/And the feelin' that I'm under." A late, and disputed, claim about the source of the term was made by "Chas" Chandler, former manager of the Jimi Hendrix Experience. In a 1995 interview on the PBS program Rock and Roll, he asserted that heavy metal "was a term originated in a New York Times article reviewing a Jimi Hendrix performance," in which the author likened the event to "listening to heavy metal falling from the sky." A source for Chandler's claim has never been found.

In addition to this, metal is responsible to the CORNA, or devil horns, This is the hand gesture(palms out, thumb, pointer, and pinky fingers extended, middle and ring fingers in palm) popularized by the greatest singer in the universe, Ronnie James Dio. But of course the universes biggest egomaniac, Gene Simmons of Kiss, claims to be the first to make the gesture in concert.

Long live metal!!, thank the spirits of the world that "glam rock" came and went rather fast. I am however seeing a reemergence of guys dressing up like women and singing like men in the eye liner make-up genre of EMO "music". To each their own but in 10 years most of these "Me-Too-Lou's" are gonna see pictures of themselves and say, "What in the heck was I thinking?........."

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Here's some cool stuff I dug up pertaining to this topic;

Metal historian Ian Christe ........."

Well there you go. I've learned something. There are metal historians. Who knew? What's next disco librarians?

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

good post toney!!

I always thought HEAVY METAL got it's name from the studs on the belts,jackets, boot straps with studs, metal cod pieces,  etc that rockers wear.

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Great, but Ken I associated bells and rings, like you  wrote more with punk music.
PUNK = reaction on the period right after HENDRIX was dead. WHY a lot of bands gave 20 minutes long solos and there started that new phenomenon, SHORT songs or political or senseless lyrics.

I only realised the definition of punk 10 years after (NO NOT ALVIN LEE) their huge success.
That was a period I was 21 years BUT NOT A FAN OF PUNK. On holiday in London, Rome they were all so scary, some in army uniforms with a colored  MOHAWK haircut, in all colors of the rainbow.

There is ONE kind of metal I hate: singers with a weird low "graveyard" voice. Sepultura is the first band popping up now.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]