1 (edited by mwp 2008-06-22 23:25:21)

Topic: Tuning guitar for blues

My first post and just looking at what is the done thing on chording ,playing chords if I have tuned guitar on different notes for the blues.I am not proficient but can pick some blues on standard,but when I try on the blues tuning it is obviously out,or I am .
Any hints as to what is correct way to do this.I'm using a digital tuner to change the notes either way

------------------------------------------------------------------
If the dogs could talk the walk  ,  and you didn't have to smoke outside                                                                                                                                       "Light it up while you can stand, don't dare touch it with your hands, just watch where your gonnae stand,   and don't be queezy"
-The Beagles

Re: Tuning guitar for blues

Well, I wouldn't recommend messing about with alternate tunings until you're proficient with standard tuning.   I'm not sure what a "blues" tuning equates to, but generally speaking, bottleneck, Dobro, and other slide players will tune to a completely open tuning.   That means that the guitar is tuned so that striking a completely open stroke across the neck will render a major chord.

For example, to tune to open D would be D-A-D-F♯-A-D.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

If you are not palying slide you will typcally tune in standard 440 them tune down a 1/2 step to flat tuning most all live player paly in a flat standard.

Hi mwp,I play alot of blues,jerome has pretty much led you in the right direction.          dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman