Topic: Is chordie in danger?

This message is on the front page of Chordie should we be worried that Chordie is in danger of being closed down.

2008-06-26: Are your songs on Chordie?
IMPORTANT: The owner of Chordie wants to get in touch with artists who have their songs indexed on Chordie. Especially artists who think it is great that amateur musicians learn to play guitar by playing their songs.
Unfortunately, I can't give you detailed information about the background for this request. However, I can tell you that this is vital to the survival of Chordie, and that it might lead to a lot of media attention. Please contact

The use of the words  " Vital to the Survival of Chordie" has got me worried is copywrite rearing it's ugly head here......
Ark

Re: Is chordie in danger?

I cannot speak for Per but I think if any of our Members are fortunate enough to know any of the artists whose work is indexed on Chordie they should endevour to persuade that artist to look at Chordie and if the said artist is encouraged by what they see to ask them to offer Per the support he has requested.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I was wondering the same thing when I saw the latest bulletin on the home page.
Finding that the Coldplay songs had been removed from the site and the new disclaimer at the top of songs only makes me more concerned.
It would appear to me that Coldplay's management (hopefully they're the only ones!) have taken issue with thier material being posted here, perhaps misguidedly thinking that a publicly and freely available listing of their chords and tabs will make people less likely to purchase their songbooks.
For me at least, it is exactly the opposite!
While I do have a very large number of songs spread accross several songbooks, I can tell you unequivocally, that I would never have purchased all of those songs in a songbook or sheet format. Most of them are saved based on a casual and momentary interest and the majority of the songs in my books have been edited by me to sound more like what I think the song should play like making the original post a non-issue.
I *can* say that I have actually bought more books and specifically single artist books rather than multiple artist compilations *because* of my time on Chordie.
Quite often there will be a song that I am *really*  interested in playing and I can't find a really good version of it here. The time spent searching through all of the member's interpretations often drives me to by the original publication just so I can get it right, hence the  Beatles, Pink Floyd, Eagles, Yes, John Denver, Patsy Kline, etc, etc, etc, books sitting on my bookshelf alongside my Chordie printouts.
I liken finding a song on Chordie to hearing a song on the radio.
If I really like the song, I will buy the CD.
One great thing about Chordie is that I often find songs that I had really liked some years ago, but forgotten about. Chordie reminds me what a great song it was and the end result is often that I go out and find the song in a songbook which I pay for and the artist receives royalties that they wouldn't have if Chordie hadn't reminded me of the song in the forst place!
All Praise to Chordie and Poop to Coldplay for being so avaricious and short-sighted.

tunedeaf wrote:

All Praise to Chordie and Poop to Coldplay for being so avaricious and short-sighted.

I'd think it was more likely to be their record company that removed the songs.

I can still get coldplay songs.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

6 (edited by Tibernius 2008-07-01 18:32:01)

Hold on a minute...if you mean this disclaimer:

The song below is NOT stored on the Chordie server. The original song is hosted at ???? Chordie works as a search engine and provides on-the-fly formating. Chordie does not index songs against artists/composers will, but it is impossible for an automated search engine to manually validate every song. If you want to remove this song from Chordie please click here.

Then it's on all of the songs, and it's always been like that.

It's not the record company's per say, It's the publishing company's. They see the record company's getting their way through the court system, so their going to follow right along.
It's probably just a matter of time before they try to get a ban on recording equipment being
sold to the public for fear someone will make some money, and they won't get what they
consider their "cut". That's how greedy they are!! Big corporations are ruining the world,
and that's a fact!!! I hate seeing these big corporations screwing everyone they can.
                                                                                                                   getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

getfiddle wrote:

Big corporations are ruining the world,
and that's a fact!!! I hate seeing these big corporations screwing everyone they can.
                                                                                                                   getfiddle

very true!! and not only with big corporations, even health services demand money before you get help in most countries.
money is the root of all evil as well as politicians and greedy human beings. I may be a human but I hate the human race most of the time, we are bacteria on this planet screwing each other one way or another, either through money or power or copyrights!!

ken

getfiddle wrote:

It's not the record company's per say, It's the publishing company's. They see the record company's getting their way through the court system, so their going to follow right along.

I am with you on this one, I also feel it is the publishing company that will be behind any action rather than the record company.

However, like Ken, I found Coldplay songs still on Chordie.

As Chordie is a search engine for songs already on the 'net if songs do go missing (and I sincerely hope they do not) it is more likely that it is the site holding the songs has lost them and Chordie can no longer access them.

Roger

I love chordie!!!
I think chordie is the best music related site I've found on the internet. And I've been to quite a
few. I like the idea that I can share my homegrown music with other musicians, and I also enjoy
reading and putting my interpretation to other peoples music when I play them. There's alot of talent on here. Who ever came up with the idea for this website, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!
                                                                                        getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

Just an update....It is entirely possible that in the last couple of years, I have never noticed the disclaimer that Tibernius quoted (it *is* the one I was referring to), but I *did* have a couple of Coldplay songs I found in user songbooks return this message....
"I have received a letter from someone claiming that this song violates their copyright. Until these issues are solved, I have chosen to block this song from being shown on Chordie."
Today, I've been going through my own songbooks and saving/printing the songs I have saved/modified just in case something bad happens and I got the same message for the copies of Layla I had stored.
A search for Layla returns tons of results, but the few I actually tried to view also came back with the above message.
Based on people's responses to my earlier post re: Coldplay, I found that many of their songs still come up, but while Yellow returned lot's of listings, all the ones I tried to view also gave the same message
Perhaps it's more a case of individual songs being de-listed rather that entire artist catalogues.
Either way, I'll be saving/printing my songbooks over the next couple of days just in case more songs return the same result.

Here's a few links for those interested in the fight against the MPA who is the prime culprit in shutting down tab sites. I signed up and donated to MuSATO months ago and encourage all interested in keeping free tabs available on the web to do the same. Excerpt from beavertabs:

Recently there has been an intimidation campaign by the MPA (Music Publishers' Association) which has scared most guitar websites with tablature into either shutting down entirely or removing their tablature sections. The website owners have been accused of copyright infringment and have been threatened with legal action. It's a very sad situation for all of us - the online musician community. The MPA is working hard to deprive its customers of the effective, inspiring and sometimes indispensable resources they use to improve their guitar skills! There is no way to dispute the fact that free online tablature resources have fostered an explosion in the popularity of guitar-playing worldwide. Without those resources, there would absolutely be fewer guitarists which would mean a smaller market for the MPA-made products!

http://www.beavertabs.com/app/tabs?action=full_message

http://www.guitarzone.com/musato/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablature#Legal_issues

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Im only learning but it is clear to me that anyone who can really play can "find" chords to fit song that they have heard. Im starting to be able to but i think its a shame that the likes of Clapton(apparently) are frightened of my raw tallent LOL or is it just the unfortunate case of human greed stopping information being shared. I mean really does he need my five bucks or should i just buy him a news set of strings. Free information for all i say

Hi Balingup and welcome to Chordie,

I think that you will find it is not the likes of Eric Clapton or any other artist that is afraid of us playing their songs. It is generally the publishers that hold the copyright for the lyrics that are trying to wave the big stick.

It is obviously not possible to find out but I wonder how many extra records are sold because a song has been heard performed by an amateur or semi-pro musician and the listener then want to hear the original. I think that most artists would be pleased if others are covering their songs.

I may be wrong but that is my point of view.

Roger

Thanks Roger , Obviously you're right but im sick of capitolist #@$$%%^ stealing money from us honest folk  .Lawers or big companys are continually thinking that information should or can be owned and we as the consumer should pay a price to be  informed. Bless the cyberworld for it is from here all information shall come freely -I hope! And beliieve me Im no expert it took me 7.5 mins to tye this . My 16 yr old would do it in 1.33333 and text his girlfriend whilst eating dinner at the same time  cheers

This Is why I haven't bought any Metallica cd's or tab books! Their the ones who started all this, way back when. Rich people are the biggest whiners on the planet. Nothings more important to them than money and power. I think I'll just write my own music from now on! Piss on them. I'll still copyrite them, but I'll post them on the web for people to learn if they want to. I guess they don't want bar bands to promote their music!!! Their not very intelligent, this might open the door for us non-pro song writers to promote are music! maybe thats not a bad thing.
                                                                                                          getfiddle

Power to getfiddle i say with lots of really complicated sus chords and 9nths !!!! Question?? How do i get  a ninth when theres only 7 notes or are there two that are secret for people who can really play??

getfiddle,
I understand why you mention metallica but the reason they started court measures against the old napster was because less people bought their records/cds, which meant they were getting less royalties and I can understand that. Napster was allowing folk to steal the music and share it with other thieves.
But Chordie does not steal anything that would make the artists money.
This is, like Roger said a copyright issue that probably most of the bands do not have power over.

I would think that artists would not mind their songs and lyrics being advertised here, all advertisement is good, even bad advertisement is good!

I bet the record companies dont mind folk in chordie talking about the latest album from metallica or Neil Diamond etc, it is good for them, it makes them money. Word of mouth is the strongest tool in advertising and they know it so they would not complain about us mentioning a bands name. It is when it comes to them seeing another opportunity to make even more money than they do that they will persue it.

It stinks, but thats life.

Ken

Yeah, and why would a person want to copyrite material that someone else is going to have total
control over. Thats doesn't make sense. What good does it do any artist to have a contract with a corp. that in the end is going to have more control over your material than the artist them selfs.
If you ask me their the biggest thieves!!  I've read plenty of interviews with artist who have said them selfs that they were ripped off by record companies. And as far as Metallica goes, I see where their coming from on recorded material, but tab? Half of the tab on the web is not correct anyway. I can't tell you how many tabs I've had to correct in order to play the song right!!! I'm sorry but big corporations are the SCUM of the earth. The majority of them do more ripping
off than they do good. And no one, I MEAN NO ONE can say they have payed for everything they have downloaded off the internet! Anyone who says they have is a liar. TVlinks.com got shut down for hosting other websites that had movies on them, they did not have any movies on their website
at all. Isn't that the same thing chordie is doing? Giving access to other websites that people take tab off of? Don't get me wrong, I love chordie! But you cannot say it's any different. 
                                                                                                                   getfiddle

I agree that Chordie does a lot to promote the songs of Bands ect. for instance i can put a song in my song book, usely one in an akward Key; then i can spend time Transposing it to a key tha suits me and then print it out for my use, i always write that the song is for study only.
If I change the keyy of a song, i am hardly likely to try aand pass it of as my own and make a CD, I would have my Ass sued off in Court. But sites like Chordie do not cost the big boys money, they are just so consumed with the thought of money they think everyone is stealing of them; when it is the other way about.

Luck to all !!!!!

I just ordered a DVD to get the fine details of an Eagles song to get some more details for potential future performance use.  I started looking here.  Eagles made money. No threat.

I agree with most of the above statements. Most of the beatles song  are going away,I belive Micheal Jackson owns the song rights too them. He has been on the verge of bankruptcy for some time now.I do rember something similer Happened to  a site called olga, they posted guitar tabs,chords etc,they got shut down. But someone snached up all the songs and created a mirror site,but I have not seen it in along time. I hope the publishers will see that we get encouraged too buy artists cds,I have because of this site.        dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I can't believe it
http://www.weshow.com/top10/en/

ziggy00 wrote:

I can't believe it

What is the relevance to this post and Chordie?

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:
ziggy00 wrote:

I can't believe it

What is the relevance to this post and Chordie?

the 10 best ways to waste 10 seconds perhaps?

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello