Re: Is chordie in danger?

This copyright issue seems to threaten the very existence of Chordie! I noticed it when I tried to look at Hey Jude in my song book. This is a song published 40 years ago. I have the sheet music and the recording on several cds but Chordie gives me a quick way of accessing words and chords. I used to type songs myself. So how is copyright infringed by a song like Hey Jude?   Does this now apply to the whole LennonMcCartney songbook? By the way, the version of Hey Jude on Chordie is imperfect -lyrics not totally correct, passing chords missing, not the original key -  but it is very playable. I have enjoyed Chordie as a way to share songs and look at what other people are dong with them. It is great. We do not want to lose that facility.

Re: Is chordie in danger?

Hi HollowayJ and welcome to Chordie,

Copyright, I believe, lasts for between 50 and 70 years and it is the music publishers that think that they are losing revenue with lyrics and chords being freely avaliable on the Internet. As with other contibutors to this thread I think that this is a very shortsighted attitude.

With regard to errors on songs as a Member of Chordie you can click on the 'Improve this song' tag and edit and correct it. It will then show a note at the bottom that you have done so. There are several other threads giving a detailed explanation of how to do this.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"