Topic: Strings

I've been learning guitar since February and have had my Yamaha since about April. I practice every day in varying amounts. I know I need to replace the strings as it's lost the "sparkly" sound that first attracted me to this guitar. My question is this - as I don't know what type of strings the guitar came with, what should I get?

I don't have any idea what make or guage will suit me best, but I don't mind spending money on strings. My main priority is to achieve a really strong sparkly sound which will resonate like billy O. I have very calloused fingers and I'm strong enough to play Bar chords anywhere on the neck with the strings that are on it, but i don't know what guage they are.

Advice please?

Re: Strings

Acoustic guitar strings come in 4 catagories; Extra-light, light, medium, and heavy. Most guitars come from the factory with light guage strings.You'd probably be happy with light guage strings. Also, it would be beneficial for you as a beginner  to observe an experienced player string the guitar.

Give everything but up.

Thanks for that. I take the point about an experienced player. I have just the fellow in mind...

Your post doesnt say wether you play acoustic or electric, if acoustic, then do as the above poster said, great advice.

If its an electric guitar you have, then the most used guage is 10s. However, they may or may not be the right ones for you. It all depends on a few things, if you are looking to play as fast as possible ove the fretboard, then smaller strings may be better, down to 8 guage, if your looking to do a Stevie Ray Vaughan impression, then your looking at 12s, or 13s and a lot more callouses!

As for what make of strings to buy, I've played for 20+ years and have tried all sorts, and to be honest, most of them sound fairly similar, go for a packet from one of the large manufacturers and you normally can't go wrong. I'd suggest trying different makes for a while, to see what you like, then stick with them.

As the previous poster said, if you can, ask someone experienced to restring the guitar for you.

Hope this helps.

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText"><b>heyjoe73 wrote on Fri, 15 December 2006 19&#58;52</b></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
Your post doesnt say wether you play acoustic or electric,

If its an electric guitar you have, then the most used guage is 10s. However, they may or may not be the right ones for you. It all depends on a few things, if you are looking to play as fast as possible ove the fretboard, then smaller strings may be better, down to 8 guage,

As for what make of strings to buy, I've played for 20+ years and have tried all sorts, and to be honest, most of them sound fairly similar, I'd suggest trying different makes for a while, to see what you like, then stick with them.

As the previous poster said, if you can, ask someone experienced to restring the guitar for you.

Hope this helps.
</td></tr></table>

Heyjoe73 has some valid and useful advise, although your playing style will also affect the gauge of strings you use. If you have a heavy hand (strum really hard and fast) a set of extra lite strings are gonna break quick (# 8's). If you do alot of bends (eric claptonish style a set of light's (9's) will work better than mediums (10's). if you play metal with heavy rythyms then use the mediums (10's). If you gig or practice every night and try the heavy's (12's) your probley a sadist and like pain. String make and gauge is a preference, it may come down to what is affordable to you. (I buy strings by the ten's usually on sale at the guitar center Dr's, GHS boomers, Dean Markley or D'darrios in 9 or 10 gauge). Once you become more experienced you'll differenciate the tonal life of the brand of strings you chose. (which ones tone last the longest.

Good luck.

Bootleger

I just got Erine Ball string's.... I pretty new to gitar's, so i wonder: Is Erine Ball good strings??

Their good if you like them as previous try different brands and see which ones sound, feel better and last longer for you. Then pick your favorite and gauge size that suits your playing style.

Bootlegger.

Bootlegger guitars.