Topic: THE MOST "PRENTIOUS" PERFORMERS

Here I can talk again about JIM MORISSON, probably one of the most pretentious performers of all time.
I saw a lot of pretentious bands being back-stage doc at a big rock festival. But the worst people are the "entourage" thinking they are more important than the performer(s)
I WILL ADD SOME OTHERS, and of course I look forward to the discussions.
- OASIS the GALLAGHER BROTHERS are more famous for their fights and disgusting critics on other bands.
- PINK FLOYD (I WILL STEP ON THOUSANDS OF TOES), one of my all time favorite bands, are in fact pretentious, especially under the DICTATORSHIP of ROGER WATERS. What bothers me a lot is DID THEY EVER BRING A SINGLE ON THE MARKET? No, you needed to buy one complete album to have the 2 songs you like.
- BRITNEY SPEARS = NO COMMENT. I just wander HOW LONG IT TAKES to put make-up on her face. SHE IS A PATHETIC FIGURE AS IS
- MICHAEL JACKSON. A pathetic mental case who had the luck to have QUINCY JONES who is the man behind "thriller"
- BONO from U2 he has a kind of attitude that he is the new MESSIAH.
- THOM YORKE Radiohead.
- BOB DYLAN has written and influenced many bands nd songs, but he is weird, he acted like a king when I saw him walking to stage. He had 10 meters space to walk, but the 3 of us (me, a television celebrity and the editor of a very big magasine were pushed THEY REALLY PUSHED US to stand 1 meter from our original place, to give his majesty DYLAN 11 meters, he couldn't barely walk and was supported by 2 bodyguards who dragged him on stage, but the performance: AMAZING.
- the most disgusting woman I saw is AMY WINEHOUSE, a mean drogued star. Star is even too good.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: THE MOST "PRENTIOUS" PERFORMERS

hi doc, sorry i only got as far as your pink floyd bit, they [to my knowledge] have brought out two singles [maby more] 1. see emily play and 2. another brick in the wall.

i'm going back now to read the rest of your post

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

3 (edited by geoaguiar 2008-08-05 18:05:22)

Oh boy Doc, negative Pink Floyd comments are going to get you into hot water...I'm going to skip right over that and address the rest (talking negatively about Pink Floyd or the Beatles is akin to heresy in my book!!!!)
These are all IMO:
Oasis - harmless a$%$%holes
Britney - White trash and harmless. more stupid than pretentious
Michael Jackson-way too messed up to be pretentious...there's something seriously wrong with him and being pretentious would be 20 steps up from   
                        where he's at!!
Bono-I couldn't agree more. Shut up and enjoy the ride. I'm sorry you're not that good. I'd love to save the whales (or whatever his cause du jour is)
        but I'm just trying to feed my family. Give all your personal money to the causes you care deeply for then I'll be impressed until then, drop
        the Ghandi routine
Dylan-maybe but what a writer.
Amy Winehouse-too much of a train wreck to be pretentious...probably doesn't know what it means anyhow.

Can we add Sting to that list?????

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Haven't met many stars, but the ones I've met were nice.  When I used to be into sports cars, Paul Newman was still driving.  Even though it was his team, and he was a huge celebrity, I didn't see that he asked for any special security at his station at the track or ask for any special favors.  As far as he was concerned, he was just another driver.  I liked seeing that.  He took what he got and was happy to have it.  He didn't socialize with the track crew and volunteers, but plenty of the drivers didn't.  They were busy with their cars, going over strategy with their crew chiefs, or making sure that they were properly rested for the race.  All understandable reasons not to socialize.

President Bush's (the first one) favorite restaurant was a restaurant that used to be in my neighborhood.  At first, he'd call ahead to make sure there was a table for him, but he took a table like anyone else.  He just didn't wait in line.  Eventually, the owners put up a screen around his favorite table to give him privacy and left it there all the time so folks wouldn't know whether the President was dining there or not.  Still, that was the owner's idea not the President's.  I suspect the Secret Service put him up to it.  You wouldn't believe the place if I showed it to you.  It's a little hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant in a run-down strip mall.  It's between a laundromat and a thrift store, but the restaurant is fantastic.   It's also "Ahnold's" favorite DC area restaurant from what I hear.  There are pictures of he and Ms. Shriver there anyway. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Gotta add Steve Perry formerly of Journey to mix of pretentious snobs.

The king of the class though, after recently hearing ex-Eagle Don Felder(former partner & lead guitarist who wrote the music for Hotel California) in a live interview, has to be Don Henley and Glen Frye. Henley and Frye booted Felder out of the band simply because they wanted a larger slice of the monetary pie. Felder described the demonic duo of Henly and Frye as pure evil.(in a business relationship) I tend to agree with Felder here. Has anyone ever seen an interview with Henley and/or Frye? Henley particularly looks and sounds as if a wildebeest just broke wind directly into his nostrils.

Give everything but up.

I've seen interviews with Henley and you're dead on....He does a lot of charity work for Walden Woods in Massachusetts. I've read a lot in print as well. He is, as you say, the head of the class. I can't believe I forgot to mention him. As far as Steve Perry goes do you have to have a career in order to be pretentious? Great career move going solo and all. They found a look and sound alike and continued on (albeit in mediocrity) and he just disappeared.

Elvis Costello

Morrison,  Sting,  Bono, Perry, Henley and Frye are all fine examples of pretentious twits, but they do possess some genuine musical skill.   
To realy excell in pretentiousness you must be a Rapper.  Puff Daddy, Jay Z, and Kanye West  put the rest to shame,  Not only do they exceed the others in ego, self promotion and shameless grandstanding, but they possess absolutly no talent that I can see.

I may shake the walls of Chordie, but on hearing how they behaved at a recent Scottish festival I would like to suggest the 'Pistols. John Lydon et al.....apparently demanded china cups for their tea and refused to walk 20 yards from the backstage area to the stage and demanded land rovers be brought in to transport them.

That's pretention of the highest order. Not very punk either. Idiots!!

As for Bono and the Gallaghers.....I wouldn't say they're especially pretentious although I can see why some don't like them. I guess it depends on your perspective as to when someone crosses from "Showman" to pretentious halfwit.

Speaking of which.....step forward Jonny Borrell of Razorlight. What an idiot that guy is!!!

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

mixter102 wrote:

Morrison,  Sting,  Bono, Perry, Henley and Frye are all fine examples of pretentious twits, but they do possess some genuine musical skill.   
To realy excell in pretentiousness you must be a Rapper.  Puff Daddy, Jay Z, and Kanye West  put the rest to shame,  Not only do they exceed the others in ego, self promotion and shameless grandstanding, but they possess absolutly no talent that I can see.

Excellent point...especially that Kanye West. He needs a good solid beating. Why is it that these people think fame/celebrity gives the gift of intelligence? You were a poor idiot then now your a moron with money?

Elvis Costello

Ooh, Chris Martin - Coldplay...he's another one!

P.S I actually like Jay-Z and Kanye West.....think they're two of the more talented members of the RAP fraternity and bring a slightly different slant to rap music. Again, maybe just my opinion, but that's what's fun about music.....

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

I LOVE PINK FLOYD (X100), but at the end ROGER WATERS BECAME TOO .......
And yes I never liked MORISSEY too or THE SMITHS. An overrated artist.
About the rappers: ALL THEY DO IS READING A PIECE OF PAPER WITH MAMBO JAMBO written on it, in a language to be ASHAMED, using SAMPLES from BRILLIANT artists.
Not to mention the "SORRY FOR THE WORD" penis contest, who drives the best and biggest PIMP CAR, WHO HAS THE MOST GOLDEN CHAINS. I was by coincidence in Chicago's most dangerous area, following the direction ROUTE 66, and in need of gas oil, but they were really friendly there, I needed to fill up my car. What I saw there (my rear window was broken because I opened the roof of a convertible while my ex-girlfriend put my crouches on that place) is unimaginable here in Belgium, were the women, all calling someone with there cell phones and not talking but shouting the most profane words you can imagine. Porsche, Mercedes and that's an attitude I dislike. So rappers NO.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

bud_wiser wrote:

P.S I actually like Jay-Z and Kanye West.....think they're two of the more talented members of the RAP fraternity and bring a slightly different slant to rap music. Again, maybe just my opinion, but that's what's fun about music.....

Bud,
For me and Kanye it's not the music (although I'm not a fan), it's the "listen to my views on politics" crap. I'm not sure what makes Kanye think what he feels or thinks is somehow pertinent to anyone else. Keep rapping and spending your easily come by dough.

Don't know much about Chris Martin but I'm sure I could grow to dislike him! I'm getting old and cranky!!

Elvis Costello

geoaguiar wrote:
bud_wiser wrote:

Bud,
For me and Kanye it's not the music (although I'm not a fan), it's the "listen to my views on politics" crap. I'm not sure what makes Kanye think what he feels or thinks is somehow pertinent to anyone else. Keep rapping and spending your easily come by dough.

Don't know much about Chris Martin but I'm sure I could grow to dislike him! I'm getting old and cranky!!

I don't agree with him politically but the fact that he is an idiot politically does not constitute a reason for him to not speak his mind. I Love America!! I agree that alot of these rappers talk very loudly. Unfortunately, they are so self consumed that when they say something that makes sense clear thinking people don't want to hear what they have to say. The lesson????? It's a CLASSIC!!!
"The world doesn't revolve around YOU!!!!!!!" 8-) Thanks dad!

"I want my 2 Dollars!!!!!"

geoaguiar wrote:
bud_wiser wrote:

Bud,

I am going out on a limb with this and i mean no offense...but if you dont want to hear somebody political views dont listen to it. Dont know what this rappers views are (i dont watch TV and i only listen to the hippy radio stations) but i have seen and been bothered by people saying this in the past. I am a folk music person, I play mostly old-time. But one of my favorite bands is Rage Against the Machine...I dont agree with all that the band has to say but i listen to it with an open mind.

Sorry about the rant and I didnt mean to offend anybody.

More on topic.
It seems, in my opinion, the bands with the least talent and creativity have the worst behavior. like they are making up for something.

-A-

Mandolin>guitar

No offense taken. I too love Rage Aganst the Machine and you're right I do not like Zack de la Rocha's lyrics much...but what a band.
I guess I should restate my gripe with Kanye and others. You are absolutely correct in saying he has a right to say what he wants and if I don't agree (also my right) I don't have to listen. I don't buy his albums and I don't watch his videos. If he's being interviewed I also opt not to watch that. So normally I wouldn't be exposed to him as his genre of music is not my preference. So normally it would be "all good". But of course since he's popular he'll occasionally show up at normal events that are not necessarily Rap related. In these forums he feels the need to shout out his opinions about things that are unrelated and that frankly he's not qualified to judge on. This is my problem with these folks. You have the right to speak your political mind (even if you have no idea what you're talking about) but fundraisers, telethons and award shows should not be the forum. I think it's pretentious to think that the general public cares or respects your point of view.
That is my long winded point. I hope this is less harsh and more clear

Elvis Costello

I know what you mean.
We had a tornado up here in New Hampshire (figure that one out) a few weeks ago. One person was
killed. The local news station interviewed this rich-old-prick that lived a little ways away, his lake front camp was destroyed. He took the opportunity to go off about how the "Democrats are ruining this that and the other"
...hey man you neighbor died, in a freak tornado, and thats all you can say...

This ties right in to the thread. I make a motion to have all people take a test, if they don't know when to keep their mouth shut we should sew it shut for them. Who is with me? smile
Stupid things just make famous people more famous.

But thats just my two copper disks, what do I know.
-A-

Mandolin>guitar

Self promotion as a performer is no vice, it's a business necessity.

But otherwise, yeah.  Twits.

I'm still listening, though...  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]