Topic: Blatant Advertising

Greetings Chordians,

The title is blatant advertising, but before this thing gets promptly trash-binned, be aware that I am advertising the new Recording section in Chordie which may have been overlooked in passing.

For those of you who have been following the Audacity and Idea threads here in the Chat Corner, you might have noticed.

One of the newer topics over in the Recording section is "Challenge", and although I had considered putting this in the "Songwriting " section, thought better of it.  Anyway Russell has tossed down the gauntlet for all you lyricists and arrangers out there to assist him in taking one of his little melodies and turning it into a song worthy of recording.  Basically there is a melody line as a rough guideline from which to build, and not much else.... 

Imagination and creativity is needed, and for those of you who would like to take a stab at it, all are welcome to participate!

Thank You Moderator for your patience and feel free to edit/incinerate this at your discretion.

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Re: Blatant Advertising

Hi Doug,

Russ's idea is a very interesting one and I hope it will encourage more Chordians to 'have a go' at recording. With very little in the way of equipment and using a free programme like Audacity it is possible to lay down several tracks to create a fuller sound and a decent recording. Mind you a little warning, when the recording bug strikes you will want to get ever better equipment to do the job, but boy is it fun.

I shall certainly enter something although putting words to music is not my way of working, with very few exceptions, I always put the music to words.  I have started working on the arrangement and I do have an idea for lyics which might work. I noticed a phrase uttered by a  fellow Chordian which has given me an not only the  idea for the song theme but also a little something to add that I have not tried before. (Hope it works).

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hello Roger,

Not being a lyricist myself, although I can find my way around the English language (and stumble through a couple others), I have taken it upon myself to disqualify myself from this particular "challenge", on the grounds that I heard the original tune in it's entirety prior to Russell's introduction.

Possession of insight of what his vision for this piece was, might lead me towards that end, and tilt an otherwise level playing field.
I currently have a jazz instrumental that is in need of tweaking that I should devote a bit of effort into before it goes stale. So for the moment.... however if you find yourself in need of a backup acoustic or technical assist, give a shout.

Take Care; Doug

Bok bok bagaukkkk doug everyone has heard it because its right there to download a cllick away! and the idea is not to write what I did but to take these chord patterns and utilize them much the same as a potter, everyone has the clay but how they mold it is up to them so your not off the hook lol 

Doug_Smith wrote:

Hello Roger,

Not being a lyricist myself, although I can find my way around the English language (and stumble through a couple others), I have taken it upon myself to disqualify myself from this particular "challenge", on the grounds that I heard the original tune in it's entirety prior to Russell's introduction.

Possession of insight of what his vision for this piece was, might lead me towards that end, and tilt an otherwise level playing field.
I currently have a jazz instrumental that is in need of tweaking that I should devote a bit of effort into before it goes stale. So for the moment.... however if you find yourself in need of a backup acoustic or technical assist, give a shout.

Take Care; Doug

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi Doug,

All Russ has given us is the groundwork, the basics, for us to play with and come up with song. So I say you can undisqualify yourself and you have the chance to take part in this first time event of Chordie.

I have completed my entry and submitted it to Russell and I can assure you that, although I too have heard his version of this several times, my song is absolutely nothing like Russ's video. Don't forget that although we have been given 5 chord sequences to use there is no restriction in what order to use them or how long the duration of each chord is.

Go on - give it a go.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thank You Roger for those words of encouragement, and Russell... I don't think I ever mentioned my living/working on a chicken ranch while in college.... did I?

Ah, fond memories of rounding up the pullets for banding season.... the smell of burnt feathers at thinning time!

Seriously though, I have been a "session musician" for so long now, I 'm not sure I have the "skills" to write.  But I will post my pleadings on the recording section under challenge,  perhaps in a new sub-topic like "whining".

Thanks and Take Care;  Doug

lol I may initiate a special topic just for that reason lol

Doug_Smith wrote:

Thank You Roger for those words of encouragement, and Russell... I don't think I ever mentioned my living/working on a chicken ranch while in college.... did I?

Ah, fond memories of rounding up the pullets for banding season.... the smell of burnt feathers at thinning time!

Seriously though, I have been a "session musician" for so long now, I 'm not sure I have the "skills" to write.  But I will post my pleadings on the recording section under challenge,  perhaps in a new sub-topic like "whining".

Thanks and Take Care;  Doug

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I am glad that this new topic exists, and as written it WILL HELP US TO PLACE OUR BRAIN-LOADED songs into a real song.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Salutations to you Gitaardocphil,

I am pleased that you found us and appreciate your kind comments.  Usually I try to read your posts as they are truly thought provoking and get the most interesting responses.

Thanks and you Take Care;  Doug