You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-04 19:52:41

admin
Moderator.

Help on editing Bob Dylan

I am planning a new feature/add-on to Chordie, and needs some help in completing one artist. I have chosen Bob Dylan to show off this feature.

To join the team, you have to log in and press "Improve this artist" on the Bob Dylan page. Do not change what albums are displayed.

What I need help with is adding the remaining songs (add urls from Chordie or elsewhere on the Internet), and lastly edit all songs so the chopro is perfect.

Quite a bit of work, but I know there are a lot of Dylan-fans out there..smile

#2 2008-10-05 00:14:30

topdown
Margarator

Re: Help on editing Bob Dylan

Although I am not signing up for this task (not very familiar with chopro and don't have the transposition skills), here is a wonderful resource for Dylan songs that should be helpful for the new editor:

http://dylanchords.info/

Songs are listed both alphabetically and by Album.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

#3 2008-10-05 01:25:54

KAP54
Honoured Member
Website

Great idea smile I'd like to help but my computer savvy and typing speed would only slow the project down.
Great link you posted topdown smile Got it Bookmarked.
Thanks to both
Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F

#4 2008-10-05 01:50:59

bensonp
Honoured Member

topdown wrote:

Although I am not signing up for this task (not very familiar with chopro and don't have the transposition skills), here is a wonderful resource for Dylan songs that should be helpful for the new editor:

http://dylanchords.info/

Songs are listed both alphabetically and by Album.

I was going to suggest the same site.  Alright.

You can see all my video covers on http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

#5 2008-10-05 18:02:31

admin
Moderator.

Chopro is fairly easy. Here is a quick course:
Lesson 1 - All chords go in brackets. Like this [C7]. No point in putting them above the text...
Lesson 2 - There are a few other commands. Do not mind the top tags for artist and songname - you cant change them. The most important tag is {soc} and {eoc}. It means "start of chorus" and "end of chorus". The other is for writing comments in the text. You do it this way: {c: comment text goes here}.

In lesson 3 you would have learned that there is a few other commands and that you can view them by clicking "show help". However you will most likely never need this.

The real job when editing songs is to place chords originally above the line, into the text in brackets. You really do not need any musical skills or technical skills for doing this, but it does take some time. Another job is to delete unnecessary info/headers, and separate comments from lyrics.

The beauty of it is that chopro is an "intelligent" format. When chords are separated this way, Chordie can automatically transpose, make chord grids etc.

And... I agree dylanchords.info is one of the best sites on the Internet. Brilliant quality on the transcriptions. However the songs are not in chopro-format (ie cant be transposed and with lyrics and comments intermingled), so there is some manual editing here. The Chordie automatic formater did fail on this site, and I did not want to present this high quality work in a less than perfect way. So it is today no longer indexed automatically. However it is great if people add songs manually from this site.

Board footer