Topic: Bridge pins

I recently purchased an Art & Lutherie cedar guitar.  I changed the strings and several of the end pins crumbled apart at the bottom of the pin (cheap plastic).  They're holding up OK, but I started thinking about replacing them.  Does anyone have experience with either ebony or brass pins?  I'm thinking of going with brass pins with a mother of pearl inlay.  Do they add any tone to the guitar, or do they just look cool?

Thanks in advance for the advice, folks.

2 (edited by Stratplayer 2008-10-16 01:43:50)

Re: Bridge pins

I've never used them but I did some research on different pins. Brass and other pins will change the tone and over all sound of the guitar. I read that brass is the best with the most notable sound and tone change. I guess it would be best to buy them at a store that you could return them if you don't like the tone change.

Brass pins will give you a different tone...whether it's better or not is up to the ear. I didn't really like them (too bright) so I went back to the cheap plastic ones. Personal preference

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I've done a good bit of experimenting with bridge pins. I won't go all into details but will say that brass will give you the most change but ,like others have said, It's very bright! I tried a set on several of my acoustics and they didn't do it for me on any of them. I'd be particularly worried about coupling them with the wild cherry back and sides of your Art & Lutherie ( great guitar ,by the way, a friend has one) Wild cherry is a fairly bright sounding tone wood even if it is mellowed some by the cedar top... In my opinion, You hit it dead on with the ebony pins! That's what I'd go with to add a little more depth and punch to the tone. Just my .02 though... What I like you may not... It all depends on what your wanting to change about the tone of the guitar. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

5 (edited by NELA 2008-10-16 13:27:32)

Changing the pins on your guitar will have NO effect without changing the nut and bridge, as well. If your existing pins are plastic, chances are the bridge and nut are of the same materials. Without changing them they will dampen any sound improvements made by the new pins.
There are several different types of materials that can be used from bone, ivory or synthetic available. Replacing the bridge and nut will take some expert fitting and might be best left to the experts. If you are going to undertake this activity I would recommend you let a professional do the work and completely set-up the guitar for your playing style at the same time.

Nela

6 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-10-16 22:34:50)

NELA wrote:

Changing the pins on your guitar will have NO effect without changing the nut and bridge, as well. If your existing pins are plastic, chances are the bridge and nut are of the same materials. Without changing them they will dampen any sound improvements made by the new pins.
There are several different types of materials that can be used from bone, ivory or synthetic available. Replacing the bridge and nut will take some expert fitting and might be best left to the experts. If you are going to undertake this activity I would recommend you let a professional do the work and completely set-up the guitar for your playing style at the same time.

Nela

I'll agree that the "Saddle" and nut have more of an effect on tone but changing pins even without changing the others will still change the tone of the guitar. The saddle may transfer most of the vibration from the strings to the top but it doesn't just stop there... The pins transfer that vibration to the bridge plate as well and softer or different pin materials will absorb or displace that vibration differently. The amount of difference by changing just bridge pins depends on a whole list of factors but the main one is the break angle of the strings over the saddle. The less the break angle the more diffrence you will hear by changing just bridge pins. Not all people have the ear to actually hear the difference but it is there.(not saying that you don't have the ear wink just admitting that sometimes it can be a very subtle change) Put in a set of brass pins without changing the saddle or nut and you will still hear a big tonal change, as they do offer the most change... As a side note though, All Art & Lutherie guitars come with Tusq nuts and saddles. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

7 (edited by greyeagle_1920 2008-10-17 02:18:07)

Thanks for all the input, especially Guitarpix.  Since the sound that I've got with the guitar right now is pretty bright & jangly, I think I may go with the ebony pins and see how that works out.  I've been able to find ebony at a few places locally, but the brass pins seem to be harder to find right now.

And for the future, I'll look into changing the bridge & nut to the same material.  However, since I just bought this guitar, I want to keep my additional expense to a minimum for a while!