26 (edited by marcalan 2009-02-07 14:43:02)

Re: "Banjo advice"

I dont know if it makes sense saying this but switching rolls , for me anyway, is a matter of following the melody over the hump[switch]..I have a book by tony trescheka [sp?] that teaches songs that have switch -ups in them..hope that helps..marc

much of what i do is clawhammer or sometimes called frailing i prefer clawhammer which is another can of worms..you can see steve martin doing this style in some of his  youtube vids..

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

I've tried both Scruggs style and clawhammer  over the past 3 years or so.  Scruggs style was first but I found that in a "campfire" setting trying to pick up songs being played real-time that clawhammer is most suitable for me.  After playing clawhammer for about two years now I find that clawhammer is much more than just the bump-ditty strum that you start out with.  I picked up the banjo at age 58 and regret that I lived so long without knowing what fun playing an instrument can be.  I now practice every day religously (sp?) and jam with others at least once a week and lately more like two or three.  I guess my biggest epiphny so far was when I saw Eddie Adcock live, in a small venue, and realized the the efficiency that playing up the neck gives a banjo (or guitar for that matter) player.  It seems now that almost every day I hear another song or two I likd and want to learn.

I recently got a banjo also and there was no question in my mind to learn the right hand picking similar to Scruggs. The problem I have encountered is keeping a melodic pick and finding the melody line in the song while I do it, it is quite difficult. A wise person once told me you can master any instrument in short order, just takes practice, practice and more practice.

I iwll confess, however, that as a quitar player I prefer to finger pick a song rather than flat pick it, so I am used to getting my figures moving in a rhythmic pattern.

I too was surprised at the volume of a five string banjo but I recently played it at a gig when others were playing there electrified guitars and it got lost so I just bought a mic for it. I will be amping my banjo at my next gig- look out.