Re: Your favorite vacation/holiday spot

All you worldly people.....mercy!  I live in Southern California, in a community called San Bernardino.  If you remember the song Get Your Kicks On Route 66, SB is the last named city in the song, but it is by no means the end of the road.  I'd like to vacation by driving Route 66 on its' latest known alignment, paralelling I 40, the freeway that replaced it, from one end to the other.  I have done this only in parts, and most not lately, as most was traveled when I was a teen, before 1962.
Also, California has some of the best scenery along the coast, and specifically, the northern coast, where the redwoods are.  Inland is even better.

CW Boomer said it!
Working to become a Brain Surgeon or a Rocket Scientist, I forget which...

CW Boomer,
I really liked that trucker song you wrote way back in the day..........

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Am  staying put, well nearly! ilive  near the most beautiful scenery in England, North east coastline up Bamburgh way holy island we have Hadrains Wall, Northumbland, Scotland , and parts of Yorshire too... Nahhh i`l stay at home thanks

Micky

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

I spent a week down your way this summer, Micky. Very nice it was too. Stayed in a lovely village called Warkworth. Aahhh the memories.....

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

micky the mooch wrote:

Am  staying put, well nearly! ilive  near the most beautiful scenery in England, North east coastline up Bamburgh way holy island we have Hadrains Wall, Northumbland, Scotland , and parts of Yorshire too... Nahhh i`l stay at home thanks

Micky

N.B
Scotland is not part of England, but it i very close to North of England lol
You also have the lake district which is a fantastic place!

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

ye yer reet Scotland isnt part of England, but i never said it was lol .. and its still alovely place to visit

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

I like to go back to where I learned my first guitar chord, the Black Hills of South Dakota. I don't like the hokey tourist stuff (Wall Drug, Bear Country, Deadwood, Mt. Rushmore is cool but there's only so many times you can go see it...same with Crazy Horse). I spent two summers out there, getting paid to ride horse through the Hills, when I was in college so I know all the cool places that are off the beaten path like the "Hippie Hole" in Spearfish Canyon. There are some awesome hills to hike up that have views that make the hike well worth the effort. I also know some pretty sweet fly fishing spots...mmm...rainbow trout. Anyways, I go back there whenever I can.

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Paw - Thank ya, thank ya ver' much, yer a wunnerful audience.  Keep the rubber side down, Good Buddy!

CW Boomer said it!
Working to become a Brain Surgeon or a Rocket Scientist, I forget which...

Well I haven't traveled much but the best place i have been is to the Blue Ridge Mnts in Tennessee. The peace and tranquil mountain scenery makes being part of this world a little better with each visit. One day i hope to get over to Montana and up to the Pennsylvania countryside and over to Ireland/Scotland because i understand these places to be very picturesque with beautiful scenery and wildlife.

Don't feel bad dfoskey... I have't traveled much either.  Up and down the East coast of the US... and a trip to Nassau Bahamas once.  My favorite of where I've been... the Adirondack Mountains ... very beautiful, much like the drive into the Poconos!  I'll skip the tourist traps along the way and head for a nice quiet horseback trail ride while I'm there!  Racing along the edge of a mountain cliff with nothing but nature around and lakes below... ahhhhhh... pure heaven!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

dfoskey - I was born and raised in those Pennsylvania hills.  You're right about them being lovely, but take your own money because there's none to earn there.  That's why I'm here.  I'm being recruited for a job in the hills of Tennessee right now.  I'll listen to their pitch and see what they have to offer, but it would have to be a pretty darned good opportunity to pull me away from the good position I've got now.  I really like it where I'm at.  It's a good, honest company with fair pay.  I've been around enough to know that that's a situation that's hard to beat. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

dfoskey wrote:

and over to Ireland/Scotland

Now that's interesting. This makes it look like Ireland is somehow synonymous with Scotland. It's always interesting to be able to see how other nations view your own country. It would seem that Scotland and Ireland are viewed as the same place and not as two seperate countries, both passionate about protecting their national identity. It looks like we have a lot of work still to do.

Please don't take this as a personal attack or a nationalistic rant; as I say, it's just interesting. And if you ever make it over the Atlantic give me a wave from the plane and I'll come and pick you up from the airport wink I'd be happy to show you around.

alvee33 wrote:
dfoskey wrote:

Now that's interesting. This makes it look like Ireland is somehow synonymous with Scotland. It's always interesting to be able to see how other nations view your own country. It would seem that Scotland and Ireland are viewed as the same place and not as two seperate countries, both passionate about protecting their national identity. It looks like we have a lot of work still to do.

Please don't take this as a personal attack or a nationalistic rant; as I say, it's just interesting. And if you ever make it over the Atlantic give me a wave from the plane and I'll come and pick you up from the airport wink I'd be happy to show you around.

LOL!!  Alvee you would have to have pretty good eyesight to see me from the plane. When i put Ireland and Scotland together like that i was just trying to point out my only two intrests in the countries across the Atlantic. If i ever do make it over there i'll be sure to look you up. smile

lol

I have a great view of most planes coming in and out of the airport, depending on which way the wind is blowing. I've often thought of painting some sort of huge message on my roof.

Please don't take this as a personal attack or a nationalistic rant; as I say, it's just interesting.

Alvee... if it makes you feel any better... when we talk about the nationalities in our blood lines (as tho we were dogs with different breeds running thru us... funny Americans... we're all just a melting pot of mutts really) we do separate the Scottish from the Irish!   LOL!  I always considered them separate, but when I hear "UK" I get all confused and wish I had paid more attention in history class.

On a funny note that goes along with that... apparently my Great Great Grandfather came over from Ireland... and I found out recently that my Grandfather was actually the first one born on American soil.  Great Great Grandpa actually migrated into Canada not  the US.  So my husband likes to bust my chops and say that I'm not Irish at all, I'm just Canadian (and Scottish and German and Greek)!  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

41 (edited by ozymandias 2009-12-08 20:42:09)

We enjoy going to Florida in December for a little break from Maine winter.  Plus, I got to meet Southpaw at his gig in an outdoor pub about a half mile from where we'll be staying.  Florida is good for a break, but, I prefer Mountains for my real respites.  We live near the White Mountains of NH/Maine and have had some nice vacations in the Rockie Mountain Area of Montana.  Carla and I spent a second honeymoon near Glacier National Park a few years ago.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

mekidsmom wrote:

Alvee... if it makes you feel any better... when we talk about the nationalities in our blood lines (as tho we were dogs with different breeds running thru us... funny Americans... we're all just a melting pot of mutts really) we do separate the Scottish from the Irish!   LOL!  I always considered them separate, but when I hear "UK" I get all confused and wish I had paid more attention in history class.

On a funny note that goes along with that... apparently my Great Great Grandfather came over from Ireland... and I found out recently that my Grandfather was actually the first one born on American soil.  Great Great Grandpa actually migrated into Canada not  the US.  So my husband likes to bust my chops and say that I'm not Irish at all, I'm just Canadian (and Scottish and German and Greek)!  wink

Like I said it wasn't meant as a rant and i do appreciate the huge mix of populations in places like Canada, USA, Australia that makes them interesting. As I shout about national identity and the need to see Scotland and Ireland as very seperate I am also very aware that I have a big mix of both nationalities in my veins. I'll shut up now.

Today my mind is beside the New River, while my imaginary body rests in my imaginary hammock and I watch imaginary smallmouth bass crash the surface of the warm summer flow to catch damselflies who rest on reeds too close to the deep water.  Would someone please bring me an imaginary beer?   

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Why not just kick back with a real beer and imagine all the nice things you can.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Depending on my mood.

Sunshine coast of British Columbia for the SCUBA diving.

Anywhere on the Mediterranean, but the Provence area in France, and Norther Italy in particular, for the food.

I've been to Ireland a lot, so it's less a vacation spot than my burgeoning home away from home, but I'll go to see GAA Hurling anytime.  Best sport ever invented.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

alvee33 wrote:
dfoskey wrote:

Remember that in the states, the Scotts and the Irish tended to settle in the same mountainous areas in the Appalachians, so there was a whole lot of inter-marriage.    So we 'Muricans tend to blend their descendent's into "Scotts/Irish."

We know the difference in the two nations, though.  The Irish have much better whiskey.  :D

mad You go too far!

They don't even spell it right!

tongue

alvee33 wrote:

mad You go too far!

They don't even spell it right!

tongue

Uisce beatha.  "Water of life."  What could be a more right name for whiskey?

Absolutely. My Dad has a way of accepting any single malt with a smile and declaring it to be his VERY favourite. It's amazing just how many favourites we've been through. A drink made for sharing. Summer night; fire roaring; whisky flowing; stories to tell and songs to sing. Anywhere in the world.

jerome.oneil wrote:
alvee33 wrote:
dfoskey wrote:

The Irish have much better whiskey.  big_smile

Now you've gone too far.  The best whiskey is from Tennessee. 

- Zurf