Topic: Hi

I posted this under New member but after browsing around a little I thought this was a more appropriate spot for it.

My first post. I am male, 65 1/2 years old and and semi retired.  I have been  pick strum strumming for several years. I reached a certain point and never got much better. I found this site (and a few others)  and with the added off time my desire to do better has caught fire again. I have the basics of Travis picking pretty well worked out but when I try to do it in public I get all fumble fingered. (Fumbelfingers was my first choice for my forum name but it was already used.)I play 10 times better at home. What do I need to do to relax? I play at Church so no alcohol! HE HE!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Re: Hi

I can tell you with great confidence that the no alcohol thing at church is not entirely true.  Not that I am necessarily willing to explain how I know that to be the case or anything.  Let's just say that gig bags can hold more than sheet music.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Welcome deadstring....I understand what you are talking about...when im at home....it doesnt matter to me how many people are there....could be 1 or 100 and it doesnt bother me...reason being...im home..your not...if you dont like it leave...hehe......but...when i play anywhere else i feel like i need to hold myself to a little higher standard of playing...which in reality is bs and i know it...cause ive never played for money...if i charged someone then thats when i should be trying to perfect my playing.....but where better to feel more at ease playing than church?i mean after all...theres alot of talk about forgiveness there...so if you screw up...im sure you will be forgiven...
PS:play from your heart and youll never miss a lick...
Good Luck to ya...

Some good thoughts from riddler.  To better understand the difference between home and another venue you need to understand a little bit about how ANXIETY effects YOU.  Best suggestion I can give is to be aware of your breathing and slow it down, this will help you
focus and will counteract the physical symptoms of anxiety which are effecting your playing.
Cheers from the land down under!

I really think you are on to something with the anxiety thing. This is not a large congregation were talking about (maybe 45) and I have known most of them for years. They don't expect perfection but yet my hands get ice cold and sweat at the same time. This is not the case every time. Sometimes I am very satisfied with my effort but last Sunday I was trying "He's Alive" and totally blew it. I just stopped, apologized and did Supper Time instead. They understood but it gets discouraging. Thanks for your replies.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

hi Deadstring,

Do not be disheartened by losing it mid song. I remember when I was a lad and television was then always screened live, Vicki Carr was singing a very moving song (It Must Be Him, I think) and did just that. She lost it, stopped, apologised and then had to start again. So if a seasoned and renown artiste can do it do not feel down if you do.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi Deadstring smile
Welcome to Chordie. Being a person that deals with Anxiety on a bigtime level I can relate to your experiences.Anxiety if left unchecked will take hold and not let go.Kudos to you sir for carrying on after stopping.If it was me I would have walked off the stage with anxiety winning another round.
You have recognized the symptoms so now you have to battle them so you can perform like you want to.
Great advise from Lapslide guy.Breathing and focus is key.
"Easy to say but tough to do"
If you really want it you can have it.

Hope this helps
Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hey Deadstring..I have the same problem from time to time, as I play in church also.What I've found is that most of the time no one knows that you've messed up but you..so just pick up at the next chord and keep on strumming, plus keep the sheet music in front of you even if you think you got the song down helps when you play

You folks are great! Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement!

Well what a weekend! I spent most of it practicing songs I found on here, old songs that I thought were to hard for me to learn. I actually surprised myself on some of them.Little Red Riding Hood for example.

Friday night we had a hayride and  weeny roast at the Church. They wanted to sing around the campfire so I took the Yamaha and did about 30 minutes for and with them.

Then today they wanted to hear one (we have a guitar at the Church) so I did "Where could I go"? It's not hard at all but at least I was confident enough  to add some runs and modify my strumming pattern. My hands still got clammy but I never felt out of control. Thanks for the tips folks. I don't want to become a blabber mouth on here but I am exited. Have a good week!

Hayride....weeny roast.....campfire......guitar......
Now it just dont get any better than that.... smile

hi deadstring

i've been playing in public for 30 + years, [in pubs and clubs, i drink orange squash as i'm driving home], i never get nervous unless i'm playing with someone i'm not sure i can rely on.
as for fluffing your guitar parts we all do it, and the more you worry about it the more you'll do it.

as for playing in church; it's not that the congregation wont forgive you, it's the fact that they'll all be gossiping about you till they find someone else to gossip about...so why worry, be flavour of the month and enjoy the notoriety... 15 minutes of fame and all that! cool

phill tongue

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

hi deadstring

i've been playing in public for 30 + years, [in pubs and clubs, i drink orange squash as i'm driving home], i never get nervous unless i'm playing with someone i'm not sure i can rely on.
as for fluffing your guitar parts we all do it, and the more you worry about it the more you'll do it.

as for playing in church; it's not that the congregation wont forgive you, it's the fact that they'll all be gossiping about you till they find someone else to gossip about...so why worry, be flavour of the month and enjoy the notoriety... 15 minutes of fame and all that! cool

phill tongue

I figure if I ever find a perfect Church it would be unperfect if I joined it.

Deadstring I know just what u mean on the audience performance factor.  You get over it by playing in front of people.  It never goes away entirely becaue it's driven by your desire to entertain.   Two things helped me.  My practice room has a huge window facing the street so I get accidental audience at home.  I play with an open mic group of the same gang so we become musicians and audience at these gatherings.  Pick a simple few songs to know so well you don't rely on sheet music.  Landslide, and Knockin on Heaven's Door for example and play them every time you practice so they can be your opening song.   Lastly, don't forget the audience doesn't want perfection, they want to connect with you and in their mind they are up there with you.