Re: Cheap crappy guitar?

Kid next door came over and announced, " I have a guitar." I told him to go get it. He returned with a Wal-Mart special First Act cardboard p.o.s. guitar shaped object. I restrung it for him with some of my less-rusted backup strings, tuned it up and sent him home to play it for mom and dad.
His parents later told me he broke it over his sister's head. A fitting end for a tool that could never satisfy. A proper guitar might have killed the poor girl.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

tubatooter1940 wrote:

Kid next door came over and announced, " I have a guitar." I told him to go get it. He returned with a Wal-Mart special First Act cardboard p.o.s. guitar shaped object. I restrung it for him with some of my less-rusted backup strings, tuned it up and sent him home to play it for mom and dad.
His parents later told me he broke it over his sister's head. A fitting end for a tool that could never satisfy. A proper guitar might have killed the poor girl.
toots

lol  A good end to a bad guitar in my opinion!  Wal-Mart has no right selling guitars!  I have to admit, my son has one... as once upon a time (quite a few years ago) I didn't know better.  Good thing I've got 2 so he has a cheap yet decent one to play now (plus his electric).  I think that nasty old thing might make good kindling for a bon fire this weekend.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

tubatooter1940 wrote:

toots

For anybody who's looking for a cheap walmart guitar. Please, just go to a store like Guitar Center or something like that and you will find plenty of good starter acoustic guitars for not much more then you pay for the Walmart version.

For anybody who's looking for a cheap walmart guitar. Please, just go to a store like Guitar Center or something like that and you will find plenty of good starter acoustic guitars for not much more then you pay for the Walmart version.

Plus, the strings on a guitar from GC won't be an inch off the fret board, as on my son's junky first act from wal-mart... I don't know HOW he managed to ever play anything on that.  It's kind of like going from a computer keyboard to a typewriter.  Not much sense in it!

I was looking for a small, cheap guitar for my sister who was moving to Italy to join an order of missionary nuns. I looked in all our local pawn shops for a used guitar but all they had was junk. One pawn shop had a 3/4 sized new guitar pretty cheap. It was a Kent guitar. Never heard of one before or since. The thing sounded O.K., held a tune well and was fairly easy to play. Sometimes even a cheap guitar has it come together into a usable instrument.
She used that guitar for twenty years and donated it to the nuns when she retired. The old Kent is still going strong last I heard.

Hi, longboarder.  I've got a Marlin Jasmine that I bought new about 30 years ago. I'ts absolutley mint and has been resting in it's hard case for most of that time. The guitar looks beautiful in deep red with a curly maple type grain showing through and finished with ivory trim. The neck is very slim and fast and is so easy to play. This guitar must be very rare.

I have two cheap guitars. My Squier '51 and my Yamaha acoustic.
One that I've invested time and lots of money into and made an extremely smooth and great player which I take everywhere with me.
The other I have spent a total of 35 dollars on (Minus strings) and it never fails to make me smile.

Cheap guitars are not bad guitars at all.
They just make the people that buy highline custom-shop guitars feel buyers remorse...thats why the snobs are always hating.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

tubatooter1940 wrote:

toots

Hey man, my first electric guitar was one of those First Act me-480's they sell in wal-mart!
The wife got it for me for my 30th birthday....still have it too!

lol,
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman101 wrote:

I have two cheap guitars. My Squier '51 and my Yamaha acoustic.
One that I've invested time and lots of money into and made an extremely smooth and great player which I take everywhere with me.
The other I have spent a total of 35 dollars on (Minus strings) and it never fails to make me smile.

Cheap guitars are not bad guitars at all.
They just make the people that buy highline custom-shop guitars feel buyers remorse...thats why the snobs are always hating.

=]
Dm

I also have a mid-70's acoustic Yamaha FG 350W- a cheap guitar but I treasure it. It was set up well by a fine luthier (God rest his soul), and it sounds and plays so fine. I am playing it on my gig since my amplified Gibson was too loud for the room. I use Earnie Ball medium light gauge strings on it and it booms out louder than I sing.
Since you mentioned Squier guitars by Fender, I bought a Fender Squier Jazz bass guitar off of fleabay including a gig bag, strap, and practice amp for $200. The guitar needs setting up but it sounds great. I really like the neck and it looks new. My buddy lent me a Crate bass amp, so when I get it set up I'm gonna rock this town.
toots

I have several inexpensive guitars and one that falls into the cheap crappy category. Its a squier by fender accoustic and also the biggest piece of junk, trying to be passed off as a real guitar, that I have ever played. I spent over a year of my life trying to learn on that thing and I am just waiting for the right time to smash it on something. When that day comes I promise it will be a good day. Hey toots, do you think the kid next door to you would be willing to break another guitar over his sisters head? big_smile

Ihave three cheap guitars,A fender mexican strat,a yamaha acoustic fg401,and a espana 335 copy. I paid less then $450.00 for all three. They are all good guitarsand play well. I do have one that is expensive a gibson but it was given to me. out of all of these I have my hands on the yamaha 80 percent of the time.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I have three guitars that I play on a regular basis. .. I have an Applause AA-31 (Nice Rich sounding lower range), an Ibanez Road Star II (It was basically thrown at me!!), and an Ibanez A/E.  I got the bug about 10 years ago, and for what I do, (Playing at home, or with a couple of friends) these three relative cheap guitars keep me pretty happy!!!

Hi there lmcpherson!  10 years with the bug and only three guitars???  big_smile  ha ha!  I see you've been a member for a bit, just wanted to give you an official... Welcome to the forums!
Amy

I'm currently playing one of those Takamine 12-strings from Korea (not one of the "nice" Japanese ones) and have had nothing but compliments on the sound.  I love it, but there are some guitars from my past that I really miss:
a 60's era Danelectro I got for $79.00 in the late 70's.  Nothing sounds like Kashmir on that guitar...
a 68 Gibson SG that I paid $300 for back in the 80's - it fell victim to a too-dry basement, headstock broke off completely.  New SGs don't play right. I think they changed the neck profile or something.  That guitar made me feel like I could play anything.
a 74 Telecaster that we hot-rodded to sound like a Sherman Tank. Practically unplayable, but OMFG what a noise.