Topic: Slide guitar question

When Im playing with a slide am I actually pressing down or just lightly putting it over the string?

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Re: Slide guitar question

hi selso, just lightly on the strings i do believe. i try slide too lots of fun.

badeye    cool

one caper after another

yes and keep in mind to posistion the slide on the fret not in the center between the frets when moving up or down to another chord and use the E string as a guide the same as normal chording and there are some nice sounds by barring only three strings like in a barre C Chord smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks guys. Anymore slide tips?

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

you could try moving the slide up or down to the fret it sounds cool and moving it back and forth over a fret fast gives it a blues feel like bending the note and pick out individual notes on the frets to create or play an existing melody it works for me also try different tunings major minior even maj 7th have fun with it smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

6 (edited by Yitbird 2010-12-27 12:35:24)

A real trick to slide but one you already use most of the time when chording or lead work is muting unused strings. So depending on what finger you put the slide on the other fingers can be used to mute. So try different fingers for the slide and for muting until you find a set up that is comfortable to you. I use a slide on my middle finger so I can mute lower strings on the kneck High E and B with my pinky front of slide and use my index finger to mute the upper top of kneck low E and A back of slide. And then some times you want all the strings too ring.  Hope this helps