Topic: cubase le4

Okay - bought a digitech processor awhile back and got free cubase le4 software. Really
   didn't want to go the computer route of recording and have been looking into the all in-
   one outfits that you can burn your cd's on the spot. Well after dropping my HP on the
   floor and 200 bucks later I caved to use what I have. Loaded cubase and have been
   watching tutorials on youtube. Have no interface so I'm going into my 16 channel Tascam
   m164fx with a mic, and back out to the mic input on the hp as directed by the tutorial.

However-I do not get the option of audio when trying to record. Once I click on the "new
   project" audio should be an option according to the tutorial. Anyone familiar with cubase
   le4? Thanks, Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Re: cubase le4

Hi papaguitar
I don't use Cubase but with the software I use I have to set the record mode to "inline" which then records from an outside inline source instead of the "mic" which is the default setting. This is a computer setting on the sound card. Just a thought.
ark

Hey Ark, Thanks for quick return. While pondering over this it seems I failed to mention
  my mixer is not usb so the only route available is out the mixer via rca connections to
  the mic input on the hp. Is your set-up usb? Man this stuff is way over my head! This is
  the main reason to get a all in one setup-but I will fight thru this!! You mentioned using
  a soundcard. Here maybe lies the problem. I was hoping that the recording(practice)
  could be done without one? Guess I need to go back over the tutorials some more and
  more....lol.        Thanks again, Mike

Heya Papa,

I struggled trying to use a mixer into my soundcard mic input and then using Audacity. I had so much noise in my recordings , I spent more time removing noise than anything. I struggled and tried several interfaces and returned several. I tried a Presonus Audiobox Usb interface and I was able to figure it out fairly easy and I have been happy with it. It only has two inputs but it works for me , for guitar and vocal. This little box sells for $ 149.00 with software and is a good buy.

I tried a unit packaged with Cubase and I just couldn't figure it out and got discouraged and returned it. I think an interface would help you out. Good luck , i know the feeling , kind of helpless with all the new gadjets out there smile

Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Hi papaguitar
My set up is similar to yours in fact I use an old 4 track Tascam as interface and use rca jack to connect to the PC. Most PC's have an inline rca socket usually on the back of the PC It's a bit old fashioned as usb and firewire connections are the norm now.  If your using a laptop then you probably won't have the socket.
Using the mic input will cause problems as this is not really suitable for recording via the Tascam with noise bleeding through etc.
IMHO the best and easiest free recording software to use is "Audacity" though like all software it take a while to get use to but will return good results with some practice.
ark

something I noticed today is most desktops in addition to having a mic input also have line(blue input) in and if you want to record from a Y chord out of  your stereo recorder  you need to plug it into the blue input not the pink(microphone) to get a stereo recording and change the input on your software selection (audacity) recording to line in not microphone to record stereo smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi all, Thanks for all the input. Greatly appreciated! First-my hp is a laptop, and Ark
I checked for an rca input but none. Funny I also have a Tascam portastudio 414
with no where near cd quality.

I hate to hear you had so much trouble Wayne but at least I don't feel alone.lol
From more youtube vids it seems I have an ASIO driver installed from cubase
and it is suppose to act as an interface between the software and soundcard.
Went to several stores but unable to locate a soundcard to fit but am headed to
the big city today and will find one.

Yes Russell my gf's desktop has what you are talking about, however I also found
  out there is a device called a analog digital converter box that you can plug in
  rca to it and out of it with usb to your computer. Have to sit down now my head
  is spinnin!lol      Thanks, Mike

Hey all, been working on this recording project and have found out some things
     aren't as they seem. Went to Best Buy(store with lots of audio etc.) and asked
     to get a "sound card" and explained what I needed it for. Came out with a
     "sound blaster x-fi". Okay-I get home, start reading up on it but am confused
     once again,(OH?) and decide to watch some more youtube vids. Come across
     this guy talking about his sound card. It looks like an interface to me but he
     refers it as a sound card. Went to Wiki and low and behold there is paragraph
     explaining that the term "sound card" is misleadingly used to describe both.

So as Wayne suggested earlier I go online and order an inexpensive interface
    just to find out I orderd the wrong one and have to exchange it. Behringer
    makes 4 or 5 that look alike but have different apps. Someday....lol

papaguitar wrote:

Hi all, Thanks for all the input. Greatly appreciated! First-my hp is a laptop, and Ark
I checked for an rca input but none. Funny I also have a Tascam portastudio 414
with no where near cd quality.

Hi papaguitar
I basically use the Tascam as a cheap interface somewhere to plug in a guitar/mic /keyboard then to the PC via the inline out on the Tascam not for recording.
The recording is done by the software on the PC in my case "Magix music maker" this produces a CD quality audio when the final mix is done.
An expensive interface is only one part of the mixing process and perhaps somewhat over rated.
A soundcard usually fixes inside a desktop PC on the motherboard and is not really an interface as such it just allows sound to played on the PC
The more expensive have more inputs of different kinds inline usb firewire etc also various outputs for surround sound an alike but if the PC you already have has a soundcard then a inline plug input is all you need.
If you are using a laptop to record then there is no decent input jack to record only the mic which is not really suitable.
ark