Topic: c/g?

I got some tabs this last weekend for Landslide that I've been working on lately. I got to looking at the chords though and it calls for a C/G. The paper I printed off had a chart of all the chords used, so I followed it. On the chart it shows C/G played like this - x32013. Is this correct?

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Re: c/g?

Hi auxi - I believe C/G is typically fingered like a normal C chord with a G root note. 332010

http://www.justinguitar.com/images/BCv2_images/191-C_G-chord-v2.gif

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/index. … m=&v=0

Justin's lesson on slash chords

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-191-E … -chord.php

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thanks TD. I've read other threads on slash chords, and so I thought they're chart was wrong. I wonder if I'm supposed to played it how they said, or how the chord is supposed to be played...

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

#1 rule - If it sounds good, it is good! smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Haha! Yeah, well, I don't really have a 'musical' ear. Wish I could tell which way sounds best. Guess I'll just follow the notes they said. Hate to bother you again, but are C/G and CaddG the same thing?

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

6 (edited by Astronomikal 2011-02-10 03:22:52)

auxi wrote:

are C/G and CaddG the same thing?

Maybe, but  I've always seen "add" followed by number (as in "Gadd2").  I don't think I've ever seen "add" followed by a letter.

In the case of my Gadd2 example, you play a normal G but leave the A string (the "2" of G) open, so you are in effect adding a 2 (an A) to the G:  300003.

However in the case of CaddG, G is already part of the C chord (hence the open 3rd string), so to me, CaddG doesn't make much sense.

Late addition:
I did a Yahoo search and it so happens that someone asked the question:  "How do you play the CaddG chord on guitar?  I can't find it."

The answer given was:  "Probably because there's no such thing.  The C major chord is made up of the C, E, and G notes already. Adding another G is superfluous, from the standpoint of naming the chord."

Anyway, I hope this helps.

'Nomikal

PS:  Another thing - your original chord tab you asked about was x32013.  This is simply another type of C chord, but has an extra "G" in it on the high end (first string, 3rd fret).  So I'm thinking that "CaddG" may be a cool way to differentiate that particular C chord from x32010.  In short, maybe CaddG = C but add another G on high.  Topdown is correct in that x32013 is definitely not C/G.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Thanks for the great answer, Astro. I had Googled x32013, and I read on Tabwikki that it was a CaddG chord, that may not be correct though (and there may not be any such thing). Thanks again for the help.

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

You're welcome.

I've thought about it some more.  "CaddG" may not be an 'official' way to name a chord (I don't know if it is or not), but it is reasonable to assume that players would want some way to denote the difference between x32010 and x32013.  Both are technically C major chords, but the latter has an extra G added. 

So in that regard, CaddG makes some sense if you take it to mean "C, but add an EXTRA G".

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

A simple rule on slash chords is that the letter to the left of the slash is the chord and the letter to the right of the slash is the lowest note or tone in the chord. smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks Russell. Good to know.

Astronomikal wrote:

You're welcome.

I've thought about it some more.  "CaddG" may not be an 'official' way to name a chord (I don't know if it is or not), but it is reasonable to assume that players would want some way to denote the difference between x32010 and x32013.  Both are technically C major chords, but the latter has an extra G added. 

So in that regard, CaddG makes some sense if you take it to mean "C, but add an EXTRA G".

I bet you're right. That does make sense.

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Russell_Harding wrote:

A simple rule on slash chords is that the letter to the left of the slash is the chord and the letter to the right of the slash is the lowest note or tone in the chord. smile

This is the answer.  A "slash chord" is really just a way to notate an inversion of a major chord.  The chord fingering for "CaddG" is simply adding the 5th on top of the chord, rather than inverting it on the bottom.

C inversion = G C E

CaddG = C E G ...... G

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Thanks Jerome, and everyone else. Great help!

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue