Topic: where did all the GOOD music go?

bands used to be awesome like metallica theyre like the best band ever best solos best songs best shows best everything and now all rock bands jsut plain suck its like all they care about is being gay and sounding like Nickelback (offensive parody of band name removed) its like theyre purposefully trying to sound like crap and ppl seem to like it I dont get it is there at least ONE rock/metal band out there with some cool guitar solos and i s still heavy?????!

Edited by alvee33 to remove offensive word

Re: where did all the GOOD music go?

It's purely a generation thing.  Most people don't like the music of a different era as well as the music they grew up with.  I don't care for Metallica.  I was too old when they came out.  Now Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zep.  Those were great bands.  For me, probably not for you.  We all tolerate or just plain hate the music of a later time in our lives.  Kinda crazy, huh?  I love old country, but don't care much for the newer country.

bensonp Freud

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I agree, music is nowhere near the quality that it used to be.  However it is not purely a generation gap.  Im 16 and my favorite bands are from the `60`s and 70`s.  People today gravitate towards the popular music of the day.  Look at the Beatles, by far the greatest band of all time.  They were a pop group especially at first.  They had a following unlike anything the world had ever seen.  They were not well liked by the parents though.  Its simply the mass population gravitating towards the most popular music.  The generation gap is a major influence but not the only one.

Metallica hasn't had a decent album since 1989.   You want awesome and heavy and complex, like Metallica used to be?

Meshuggah.   They've been doing it for 20 years, and haven't dropped a beat.

You'll never go back.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I completely agree with Benson , it's a generational thing, personally I wouldn't walk across the street to see metallica for free with a back stage pass, but if it were Led Zepplin, I'd wait in line in the parking lot for tickets"which I have done in my younger days. I know I'll catch a lot of flack for this, but They don't make rock and roll anymore, they have only genric forms of it, heavy metal, pop rock, glam rock, I could go on but unlike Billy Joel It's not rock and roll to me. I'm sorry I don't mean to rile anyone up, but they just don't have bands like The Stones in thier heyday or Zepplin anymore, in my honest opinion, rock and roll did die, my apology's to Neal Young

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Though I can't play it on guitar I love the jazz of the 20 - 50's Ella, Duke, Cole etc.

We sorta hit on this topic in another thread recently. Music is far from what it used to be and far from good now days. The 50' & 60's started it off and it was awesome. 70's fizzled, but still hung on. The 80's was a musical revolution that turned the music world upside down. The 90's fizzled, but again hung on. I think that is when music died. Since then nothing has been very original or good. There have been small revolutions but nothing sticks. The whole Britney Spears, cookie cutter tween queen thing is an example.

But in defense of good music, you have too look for it. Good music is not popular music anymore. Since the birth of Youtube and such, bands don't need big label record deals anymore. So good music is out there, it's just hiding. Wish I could find some tho.

I too think it's a generation thing. My favorite music is from the 80's. Although I was a little too young to attend concerts, 80's music was still very popular into that 90's. So I cut my teeth on it then. My thoughts are that we are in a rut. Sometime we will be hit with a new revolution that will turn music around. We just gotta wait for it.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

There's good music out there. It just isn't Top 40 any more.   Smaller venue acts are where the talent lies.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

It didn't go anywhere. Honestly, you're probably listening to the radio and thinking "this is crap", you're not looking anywhere else. Music hasn't suddenly declined within the past 30-40 years, you're just not looking in the right places.

I pretty much agree with bensop,I was a teen in the sixties and at that time there was a ton of bands and players,this was fused with drugs etc. the compititon was strong and alot of songwriters musicans etc came out of the sixties,seventies and some of the eighties. The people now do not seem to want too work at it so hard. There are some good singers and groups out there now. I would really like to see some super groups ,and players come out of this generation.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

To be honest the last of th newer bands I really like was "Collective Soul" wht happened to them I don't know.

Our local rock station seems to play the same songs over and over. I tune into A M radio good time oldies hits from the 50's, 60's, and 70's and have been for 30 + years. So the good music is on AM radio.

badeye    cool

one caper after another

I say it is generational. OP worships metallica. I think they are a bunch of overated,self absorbed ..... nevermind all that. I wonder how the lead singer orders breakfast? "I'd like ah.... glass of orange ah.. juice ahh..."    Spinal Tap ruined it all for me. Being a Zappa fan didn't help.

Aaron Wilburn always makes me grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr1zsgC7a4U

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Being a senior in high school, I have to deal with people who listen to my ipod and say "What the hell is this? Who are these people?"

It's hard to find others who like what I like, and the artists aren't even that obscure! (well, some are.)

I can't read music but I think about this. You have "A" "B" "C" "D" "E" "F"G" and your back to "A".Throw in some Flats and some Sharps and that's all you have to work with.
   With all the different genres of music and different languages, sooner or later you run out of combinations to come up with new songs.
     Just a thought.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Deadstring is dead right. Every possible permutation of our twelve tone scale has been written again and again.
There are no "new" melodies left to write.
All we can do is come up with a fresh scenario and interesting lyrics and instrumentation.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

18 (edited by Buzzwagon 2010-10-26 22:08:04)

tubatooter1940 wrote:

Deadstring is dead right. Every possible permutation of our twelve tone scale has been written again and again.
There are no "new" melodies left to write.
All we can do is come up with a fresh scenario and interesting lyrics and instrumentation.

Really? You think so? I suspect we've barely scratched the surface.

If you were to only take those 12 notes with no note repeated there are 8,916,100,448,256 possible permutations of those 12 notes, (calculation is 12 to the power of 12). That's just using each note once leaving none out, use each note twice in a 24 note sequence and its 12 to the power of 24!!!!! You do the math. Now, while I can't prove it and I have no idea how to calculate it, I suspect that there may be an infinite number of ways to arrange those 12 notes as theoretically a song doesn't have to end! Any mathemeticians available? That's of course assuming that we only use the notes available in standard notation and stay within a single octave and don't use any of the stuff used in Asian or Arabic music that has notes that fall in to the gaps between our tones!

As for whether the music produced these days is good or bad, I think there's plenty of rubbish but there's also plenty of good stuff too. Some of this is down to the fact that there's more accessible music about. Before the advent of the internet bands had to convince a record company to back them and that took talent and commitment. These days you chuck a few tracks onto Myspace and you have access to most of the planet and we have to work our way through the dirge to get to the good stuff. Like many earlier posters I'm a child of the 60's and I was weaned on Led, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Hendrix etc but there's plenty of newer stuff I like and I've found that as I've got older my musical tastes have broadened and now I'll listen to anything from rock, blues, jazz, classical, pop, country, I'll even admit to a liking for opera!
I certainly don't believe your tastes should be limited by generation and I don't believe that bands have got worse, however they may have moved a particular genre on. A good example of this is Muse who while many believe to be Queen resurrected, have move the genre on. Matt Bellamy is an exceptionally talented musician whichever way you dice it and I love they they've fused Chopin into the last album.

Saying that I do believe that whoever invented rap should be tried for crimes against humanity.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

I agree about the rap bit. Absolutely hate rap and hip hop.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

My music tastes vary to differeing styles of rock. I have found that most enjoy the music that they enjoyed while in high school or the few years after. I don't do that. While I do like bands such as Rush, Triumph, Floyd, etc... they are merely an extension of my music tastes. I do enjoy Metallica, Megadeth, Alice in Chains (My favorite band all time and I have my guitar tuned half-step down to play them), Pearl Jam and some of the newer stuff. Do not like the Beatles nor do I like the Stones. It's just me.

What do I judge my music by? How good does it sound? Does it sound like the musicians are putting in an effort or did they just go through the motions? Does the guitarist show some talent or is he just playing the power chords and a few simple licks?

I like Soundgarden because Cornell's voice is a work of art and Morello makes his guitar interpret just how HE wants it to sound. used to not like SRV but as I got older I realized the dude can play thus I like him now.

Hell, I liked that Enya song from about 89-90 because the sound of her voice.

One thing I don't like now is the pop music with the voice synths. I feel it hides the lack of talent in many singers. Just like Synth-Pop of the 80's hid lack of talent of many musicians IMO.

If it sounds good I will listen and enjoy. If it's rap I will turn the station.

Just saying...

Sallie Ford and the Sound Outside.
Try this:

http://www.sallieford.com/

I think we just miss the "supergroups" because there's clearly good music around, but the bands don't have the staying power or mass appeal they used to.  Perhaps Supertramp, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Stones, etc had different competition than today's bands.  Internet means you don't have to have the radio on to immerse yourself in popular music.  And also seems to mean music listeners don't have to brag about what they listen to.  Seems individual taste in music has never been more popular. 
I agree with the comment about voice synth, and just like Disco came and went you can see lots of music fads between the current flashes of brilliance.     Let's just hope the next fad's an improvement.

Good music is still out there, you just gotta look harder for it. Most of what is being pushed by the record companies is pretty faces with no true musical  talent.

I agree about good music being existent, just not popular. People should make music because they want to create, not because they want to BE famous, but unfortunately thats not the result of our entertainment focused society. Music is art, not JUST entertainment, but often you find bands who are good entertainment, but not true artists. Its all a matter of taste, of course. Music means different things to different people, and different people respond to different sounds in different ways. I try not to be too close minded about music. Try listening to some different bands and do your best to let yourself respond to it in an objective way. You might not ever find a band just like metallica but you might find something else that you like!
The big question is do you mind screaming? Bands like As I Lay Dying have a lot of classic metal vibes in their music you just have to handle the vocals. You should check out a band called "Unearth", I think they MIGHT be along the lines of what you're looking for. Hope you find something, music hunting can be so frustrating!

All you need is love

beth4452 wrote:

The big question is do you mind screaming? Bands like As I Lay Dying have a lot of classic metal vibes in their music you just have to handle the vocals. You should check out a band called "Unearth", I think they MIGHT be along the lines of what you're looking for. Hope you find something, music hunting can be so frustrating!

Don't know about that. As I lay dying has really growling vocals and other metalcore bands seem to have the same. It kinda annoys me because I can't understand what they're saying til I've looked up the lyrics. So metalcore is really my thing. I prefer hard rock and heavy metal, but not TOO heavy. I reckon the metal bands from the 80's are better.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool