Topic: What did I get myself into?

Since Christmas I've really been battling my anxiety/lack of confidence in myself. One of the things I did was to start attending a song circle held once a month. I would play one song and that would be it for the day as I would be so wound up from being out in public I would quickly retreat to the safety of home. That's not a bad thing cause in my heart I really want to beat this disorder (one day at a time they say). My problem is the person that was hosting the circle is the director for the Home County Folk Festival. Over the coarse of the 4 months I played when it was my time to play and on the last day she asked me to play 3 of my songs at the Home County Festival. I crapped my drawers and told her I would think about it. I explained my issues and she said no sweat...but please think about it. Two weeks ago I decided that I had to give it a shot so she set me up with a Mandy player that really liked my songs and wanted to work with me. I'll only have two practices with him as he is busy. We will be playing July 17. Home County draws 150,000+  people for the 3 days and I'm really getting bad vibes about this. I know it is in my head but I need all the help I can get on this.

Should I bring a barf bucket and stash it in my truck? lol I'm booking a weeks holiday before so I can relieve the pressure I get from work.
Any help/advise on this would help me out immensely as I'm sweating just typing this.

Cheers smile

Kenny
PS Here is the link to this years addition of Home County.

http://www.homecounty.ca/

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Re: What did I get myself into?

Heya Kenny,

Thanks for the heads up I will be in the front row to heckle you........:) Just kiddin

This is a great opportunity , I could only dream of. Try to stay positve, you were asked cause your stuff is good ! Try to be very well prepared so you can do the songs without thinkin about them too much and you will be fine.

I wish you the Best, give it your all Kenny you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Sure it will be scary, Kenny, but once you get through that one, everything will seem easier.  I get a little scared at first, but usually once I am through the first song, I am raring to go after that.  You will feel better about yourself after you do this.  Go man.  We are with you.  TYhe best of luck to you.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hey Wayne Good to hear from you. smile
Thank you for the positive feedback, that means a lot to me. Being prepared is not one of my stronger suits as me in front of people is something I have always avoided. It's the going blank on stage that scares the bejesus out of me.
I wish you were in the front row...that would make it easier. smile

Cheers

Hi Pete smile
I hear you about getting through the first one...just gotta get through the first one. lol I just decided to go to the London Music Club tomorrow night as they have their long running open mic and I have to get my feet wet before Home County. I hope I'll feel better about myself after tomorrow night. God I hate singing into a mic...Oiyyy

Can't go wrong with Chordie members in my corner. smile

Cheers

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

I agree with the others and say go for it Ken, the person in charge must think your stuff is good enough and that you can handle it. I've been playing in church every week and some other places for years and I still feel that way. Practice up your stuff so you have it down and go out there and giter done.

Bob

Hey, Buddddddy. Been a while since we done any typing, together. I know it ain't easy but you gotta get past them nerves. Just remember that I, just like all the other great musicans, had to start somewhere. We all get a little nervious and have to deal with the anxiety that builds up but that's only a part of life. You have an opporunity that most of us will never get so make the best of it. Take a deep breath, relax and let it flow. And if you don't go through with this I'ma gonna find me a way to get up there to Canada and give you a good ole Louisiana Booty Wuppin'. I betch'a I could even get me some help to come wid me.

Let me know how this turns out.

Nela

Hi kap good too see you are back,have not heard from you in some time,guys above have said basic things I would. I get anxiety attacks also ,doctor told me too carry a small bag with me and breath into it. It Works!! Paper or plastic, I use sandwich plastic bags.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Kenny - All I can say is you've got the skills - show em what you got. Break a leg!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Just tell your self the mandolin is drowning me out anyway so if i make a mistake no one will hear it! Seriously though I think you should give it whirl. If you let the nerves stop you now you may never shake them. Good wishes to ya.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Hi Kenny,

Not only do us occasional performers get nerves, so do the famous and regular performers. Not only is it normal, the increased adrenaline helps us be sharp and perform at our best. I usually find that once I get started the nerves disappear and the buzz after I have finished more than makes up for the butterflies and all trips to the loo before going on stage.

Remember that if the folks at the song circle liked your stuff then a bigger audience simple means there are more there to show their appreciation.

Break a leg.

Roger

PS Don't try and sing to everyone, pick out one person and sing to her.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

hey Kenny!  I used to have serious anxiety issues when in crowded places (and still have a twinge of clausterphobia).  I was taught how to breathe into my hands in the event a paper bag wasn't available and above all else to continue going to the places where I was uncomfortable and learn how to deal with it.  To this day I sleep on the side of the bed near the door, must sit in the isle seat in an auditorium, etc... but I can handle crowds without a panic attack, and know when to walk out of one seemly calm without going over the edge.  Being nervous in crowds tends to make one start to appear nervous in public in general.  The good news is, on stage it'll just be you and a couple other folks... the crowd will be far enough away that they won't all be bumping into you!  smile  Yes, they'll be watching... but only because they WANT to see and hear how awesome you are.  Take some controlled deep slow breaths before heading out there and do as everyone here has said and I have faith that you'll make it though and do an awesome job!  I like Roger's idea especially of picking just one person to sing to... or perhaps just one THING (some post or light or something off in the distance to focus on and just let them all think you're looking at the audience).  Good luck!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Kenny, Lots of good input here. I've used all these techniques. Try to follow as many as you can they will get you thru. Remember we've all been there. I like the deep controlled breathing before you head out . It will really relax you and get your head together just before you start. Also (This one has pulled me thru a few times)as Roger said, find that one person who digs your stuff and play just for them. Remember they asked you to be there ,they want to hear your songs. We're all behind you. Have fun and good luck.

Joe

Kenny, we worked together once (if you remember?) and I have no doubt in my mind that you can carry this off with no sweat at all. The demons are in your mind, and once you get through that most difficult part, which is walking onto that stage and playing the first verse, you'll settle back and love it. You will come off the stage (if the audience let you off!) and you'll want to get back on and do it again, even if it means playing the same three songs!

Performing to an appriciative audience is more addictive than heroin. It happens to me all the time...I wish!

Dont fret it my friend, just enjoy the experience

Phill

PS, not too many sherbets before you hit the boards!

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Thanks All for the positive feedback, helpful tips and humor. smile

I've been running through the 3 songs I will be doing at open mic tonight all day with the advise given and getting. I didn't get much work done lol Thankfully it is licensed so I can have a few light wobbly pops before I go on and a bunch more when I get home.
I do believe I can do this thanks to your support and the threat of Louisiana Booty Wuppin from Nela.

Thanks Again All, I'll keep you informed how it goes.

Kenny smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

hey agian kap,I have read several bio's on rock n roll stars, they all suffer this malady too some extent,my last one was on the rolling stones and ron woods and keith richards get sick alot!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Knock 'em dead Ken... just close your eyes and let it rip.....

I'm so happy you"re giving it a go> Your stuff is top notch and you owe it to yourself. I'm rooting for you. BTW, I am also way too afraid so maybe you'll inspire me too.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Thanks Dino and Geo smile
I did manage to face my fears and head to the open mic for a taste of what I'm gonna face...I shook so bad I thought I was gonna fall off the stage lol I think that playing for the first time and hearing my voice/guitar come out of the monitor screwed me up the most, but none the less I did it and as I thought, the crowd was appreciative and polite as I received a nice applause (probably cause they seen how scared I was). I only had to start over twice smile
Any how I now have a mic, stand and a small peavy amp that I will be doing lots of practice with. smile

Geo...if I can do it I gotta believe you can too.

Cheers

Ken

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Good job, K.

Nela

practicing into a mic is an EXCELLENT idea!  If I had a few extra bucks, I'd go buy myself a mic and try that.  I bet it will help a LOT!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Way to go!!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

I've been seriously considering getting me a mic and using my present stereo system for an amp, but just never quite get around to it. I need to get off my butt. Way to go ken.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Good work kap,that took alot of courage you should be patting yourself on the back if no one else is.

Hey Kenny
Serious respect for standing up and facing your fears my friend.
No way was that easy..
Well done
ark

Thanks Again for all the Chordie support.  It sure did make it easier. smile
I have a post in the equipment section about a mic I was turned onto. I know it seems like a cheap mic (that cheap and there must be a problem with it) I've compared the specs to the Shure 58.....it's all greek to me.
Do the specs indicate that it is a decent mic?
I'm guessing that it's a good mic but I better not drop it or spill a bear on it.
If it is a good mic anyone near a Princess Auto should check it out.

Cheers smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)