Topic: pick

hi i recently bought a epiphone SG that came with a amp and every thing else but the one thing i think it didnt come with is picks so... a) do i need a pick to play?
                                                     B) does it matter what kind i use

dont light yourself on fire... it kinda hurts.

Re: pick

the pick you use really depends on what you're playing. If you're playing rock/metal I highly reccomend fender heavys... they just rock.

Using a pick gives your guitar a more defined sound, plus, it can make picking solos a lot easier, than if you were to just use your figners. Fenders usually run pretty cheap, worth the few extra dollars.

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

k thanks im going to be playing hard rock / alternative rock

because some one at my school said use a lighter pick.

don't get a lighter pick, they are flimsy, and really won't bring out the tone of your SG. Heavy picks allow you to "dig in" to get the heavy rock sound you're probably looking for.

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

I also go with heavys but find one with a sharp edge so you can do pickslides. (youll need pickslides for metal and hard rock.)

6 (edited by bootleger 2007-06-15 02:14:21)

My preference are Jim dunlop 0.73 gauge nylon picks because they are stiff enough for lead work and flexible enough for rythm strumming. (electric,) I use JD .060 gauge nylon for acoustic struming either pick (or plectrum) do not break because their nylon.

Bootlegger.

i like using lighter and softer picks as i love playing aquastic chord variations. Is it the proper way i am going in

krishanu
from Calcutta, India

i live only to discover beauty. all else is a form of waiting

would anyone help me to know about the strategies to play bass with a pick or with fingers

i live only to discover beauty. all else is a form of waiting

Can't really say if this is true for everyone, I found that for me that as I became more experienced I began to prefer thicker picks. I find that a thicker pick gives one more control. Perhaps it's just a matter of personal preference too

what a long strange trip it's been

k thanks people il get a heavyr pick cause im going to play hard music

I just use my fingernail, because I play Mainly Blues.
cool danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr