Topic: Guitar Strings

40 years ago there were just two types of guitar strings. There was only one guage but there were wire wound strings for acoustic and tape wound ones for electric guitars. This meant that from bottom E to high E the strings were smooth.

The tape wound were easier on the fingers and sliding up and down the fretboard was quieter.

Can anyone tell me why the tape wound strings disappeared?

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Re: Guitar Strings

I believe they are still availabe, but as 'flat wound' strings. They seem to be mostly popular with jazz players. The drawback to flat wound is an increase in neck tention. You can get most of the benifits without the neck strain by using 'half roun strings', they are traditional round strings that have been flattened on the outer surface.

I've tried them on my accustics but not yet on my electric. Wasn't very impressed.

I used Flat Wound's for years, no slide noise. I have tried to find the same quality but I cant. Gretch Flat Wounds were the best available and they were available in different diameters. The Half rounds are good, but I really liked the sound of the older flat wounds. They did tend to go dead and need replacing frequently, but the sound was like no other. I don't agree with the post about them requiring more tension. The Tension required is more related to the string Diameter. Today I still use Half Rounds on my Bass, but I use Blue Steel Cryogenic .010-.046 on most of my Electric Guitars because of the excellent sustain & durability and Usually Martins of slightly heavier weight on my Acoustics because they just Sound Better. Flat Wounds are still available, but they don't feel like or sound like the old Gretch "Velvet Touch" strings. As far as Jazz Players using them, it's possibly true, but I have seen Rock & Country players using flat wounds too, esp. among rhythm players.

I meekly bow towards Jerseydevil....I stand (or in this case, sit ) corrected.

I was told that flatwounds had a lot more neck tension, so never accually tested them for myself.

Ooops.