Re: where did all the GOOD music go?

Very good points made there Beth (and Welcome Back by the way!).  There is good music out there to please every taste in Genre.... it's not all "Made In America" though.  You have to go looking hard for it, and sometimes in unlikely places.  Even an old Geezer like myself appreciates the talents of bands such as Opeth.... although not as regular fare.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

jerome.oneil wrote:

There's good music out there. It just isn't Top 40 any more.   Smaller venue acts are where the talent lies.

I agree! I also like to listen to listener supported radio. there are a couple really good ones around where I live. You get a very large varitey of music and genres instead of music picked based on record companies bank accounts.

I think it's so sad that today's music makers are so besotted with rap! It's not enough that the rappers take the hooks from someone else's hard work, but singers feel the need to get some waz to rap where once upon a time you'd have a solo.
I do remember an article that said that by the year 1999 (or so) all available tunes would be used up....obviously garbage as proved above.

Today's music is all plastic, created on computers by the "producer" who adds a voice to get the human touch. but the voices are so over recorded with effects that they end up un-listenable (to me).

I have always been a heavy metal fan, and enjoy most of the names listed above, though you tend to feel that maybe most should have done the right thing and retired after 10 years? then just reformed after 2-3 years just to release a new album and do a short tour. Have Zeppelin got it right?

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

tubatooter1940 wrote:

Deadstring is dead right. Every possible permutation of our twelve tone scale has been written again and again.
There are no "new" melodies left to write.
All we can do is come up with a fresh scenario and interesting lyrics and instrumentation.

I challenge you to find one popularish song in the last 20 years that uses a 12 tone scale. smile

Baldguitardude wrote:
tubatooter1940 wrote:

Deadstring is dead right. Every possible permutation of our twelve tone scale has been written again and again.
There are no "new" melodies left to write.
All we can do is come up with a fresh scenario and interesting lyrics and instrumentation.

I challenge you to find one popularish song in the last 20 years that uses a 12 tone scale. smile

I didn't say you had to use all 12 tones in the SAME SONG. On second thought maybe you could if you modulated a song (change keys) a lot.:)

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I suspect we grow up and hit on a music or band we like and follow it until it no longer satisfies.  Then we cast around and it's like "what is all this noise?" as all we've listened to for the past months or years is what we liked and we find ourselves out of the comfort zone.  Radio and charts are all self fulfilling as the promoters promote, nobody else gets a look in so all we hear on the radio is what is being promoted therefore the record buying public are being blinkered by the promoters and the radio stations that pander to them.

The best radio station in the world is Radio 2 here in the UK - they play classic rock, soul, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's with equal gusto and enthusiasm.  They also play some current popular stuff but not necessarily what gets in the charts and I don't know of another station anywhere where you could be listening to Dana singing 'All Kinds Of Everything' followed by something like 'Holidays In The Sun' by Sex Pistols which then segues into perhaps Muse playing live in Manchester Cathedral.

Your next big thing is out there, you just need to pay a little more attention cool

I'm the son of rage and love

Butch8844 wrote:

To be honest the last of th newer bands I really like was "Collective Soul" wht happened to them I don't know.

THEY ARE OUT THERE ON THE SMALL CLUB CIRCUT  SAME WITH 7 MARY 3

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I have my "CORE" bands that I will always come back to.  With you tube I find that I will stmble on some new acts that I like.  While they may not be totally original or maybe the singer needs a bit of Coaching, I just like the way it makes me feel.

Isnt that really what it all boils down to?  HOW DOES IT MAKE YOU FEEL?  IMHO Jack Johnson is nice but I wont go home from a club and dig up anything he has done.  He just was able to hit a chord with 16 yr olds in love.
HMMM, when I was 16  and in love / lust (since really what did we know at 16) I think one of my best love songs was RHYTHM OF LOVE by the Scorpions and the song that always makes me think of the first girl to really ever twois my heart was "Little MISS DANGEROUS" By Ted.

My point, If it stirs your soul, its good for you but maybe not the other person.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Try Folk! It's much better:)

My band is Order of the Planets - look us up on Youtube or Facebook.

I have quite a few gigs I will go to this year and I am pretty sure, that most them are in one way or the other better than Metalica. Billy Bragg, Die Ärzte, Bruce Springsteen and Kettcar (a HUGE amount of bonus points to anyone who knows all four) are the next ones I think. Venues go from small club to stadium. We change. So does music.
If we keep thinking that only the music we first kissed to (or more) is "good" we can only grow old pretty fast. I don't want any of my heroes to stay stuck in what they did 20 years ago... I want to find new stuff... Franz Ferdinand and Maximo Park were bands I found by accident...

So: keep an open mind and an open ear...

CHeers,

Tom