1 (edited by tonynulty 2010-02-02 20:15:50)

Topic: Advice for new players

I have just been going through various forums, and the amount of new people trying to play guitar is interesting, what I have noticed is:- they try to run before they can walk, this is probably because they are so keen to be able to play guitar.
They get music or song sheets with chords on them, this is all fine if you are familiar with the chords.
Some lines in songs may expect you to change chords 5 times, some only 2, but to be able to change chords so quickly takes years of practice, also to adapt strumming patterns to these chords is very difficult.

I have been playing guitar for 15 to 20 yrs, and my advice to new players is, instead of going straight into song sheets, learn a group of chords that will harmonise with each other say:- C then Am then F then G7, learn this group in that order, keep practicing untill you can change the chords in that order very quickly, when you can do that practice the strumming pattern, adapt different beats, for each chord. pick the middle 4 strings 5th, 4th,3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th in that order on each chord.

Once you have masterd this you will have acheaved somthing, and this group of chords fits into loads of songs.

Try in the picking order I said, and play Wise men say, only fools rush in,by Elvis.

you will be pleased with yourself,  Hope this is helpfull to all you new players, young & old, best of luck.

Re: Advice for new players

Probably 50% of those new learners quit because they feel they are getting nowhere fast.  That seems like pretty sage advice tony.  It does take time and you need to maintain interest to get past the beginners stage.  Practicing a lot and coming here often, helps keep that interest going, in my opinion.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I agree. When I 1st begin playing after a 40+ year layoff I spent a whole year doing nothing but practicing chords and chord changes. I would take a basic 3 chord progression and I would strum, change chords & strum, change chords & strum - over and over - until I could make the changes. As I learned the chords and how to change between them I would add minors & "7" chords. Only when I was able to  change chords with comfort and reasonable speed did I try to play songs. There are thousands and thousands of songs you can play by only knowing 3 chords. Now with just a little over 5 years of playing I am able to take a song I hear, (some songs). write them out. sit down with my guitar and work out the chords. My wife (she is the one singing) and I have MANY songs we play and are able to play twice a month with a group. We get our turn at the "mic" and get to do 4 or 2 songs each time we get together. I took my time, never tried to push things, read everything I gould find, asked for help and took advice anytime I could get it and practiced at least 2 hours each night. I even practice strum patterns while I'm driving and listening to songs. Just this week I have learned 3 new songs and can play them along with the CD, chord for chord. I will be 59 years old this summer so it's never too late.

Nela

Good advice. And nothings more fun than strumming a good chord progression. It doesn't feel like practice to me.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I knew I wasn't just going to be able to pick the guitar and practice consistently every day without a little help or motivation. So I signed up for a high school beginner guitar class. I learned exactly what every one here has suggested we had a sheet where we played several 1 4 5 patterns of chords where the forth was the dominate seventh chord, we also had chord progressions and picking patterns. I don't like learning a lot of songs, but I still practice and a year later from that class I'm about to graduate high school and I'm taking the intermediate class 
: D->-<

no audience required.

I give that same advice over and over and over.  "Forget about songs for a bit.  Learn these three chords well, and you'll know a thousand songs as a result."

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hi to all i know its an old thread but it was related so i posted in this one,  i am new to this forum looks quite interesting, i have just started learning some notes, i wanted some suggestions so that i can learn in far better way or fast.

Spam link removed by moderator

Learn these five chords, and learn them well. 

C A G E D

Learn them in the open position, and then learn them all over the neck.

Learn them in groups of threes and twos.  (you'll understand why when you figure out B and F)

C G

A D E

G C D

E A

D G A

Everything else you do, from the rest of the chords to lead lines, will derive from that. 

When you can bang around on any of the group of three, you'll know a thousand different songs.  I'm serious about that.  smile

Thanks a lot jerome i will definitely keep that in mind and keep you updated regarding my progress, thanks again...

Spam link removed by moderator

I was really new and old age and one of my dream is to learn and play praise and worship songs to God and thanks for those advice, i try to practice those chords, thanks a lot bro.

Best I can add is once you have learned the above advice find someone who is a better player to jam with. Jamming has helped me. I'm still no good but it has helped.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Haha, I was just talking about this on another thread... Anyway, I see what your saying. Though, for some reason I can't grasp it. I always jump into things too fast. Hit the ground running I guess. LOL. I also always put the puzzle together wrong, undid it, and then followed the instructions... I'll never learn I guess. smile   Good advice.

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

I would agree learning to play guitar should start from the basic. Learning the chords, shifting from 1 chord to another. You should also learn by way of listening (play by ear). Once you develop these you can now start learning new songs. There are also free software like audacity

TheOnlyTaylor wrote:

I knew I wasn't just going to be able to pick the guitar and practice consistently every day without a little help or motivation. So I signed up for a high school beginner guitar class. I learned exactly what every one here has suggested we had a sheet where we played several 1 4 5 patterns of chords where the forth was the dominate seventh chord, we also had chord progressions and picking patterns. I don't like learning a lot of songs, but I still practice and a year later from that class I'm about to graduate high school and I'm taking the intermediate class 
: D->-<

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH FINDING A BETTER GUITARIST TO JAM WITH!  The fastest I ever learned was with a set of guys who had a basement jam band.  They were great! They showed me how to play a part and we went for it. all of them supportive.  Sometimes you meet ppl who just want to impress you and secretly make you feel stupid for not being as good as them.  or ppl who dont want to slow down for you. (yea personal view here)  For me anyway, It has been hard to find a set to gell with.  When you do.  enjoy the he!! out of it!

I mentioned this in another post, but between the advice here and YOUTUBE, it should help with some of the monotony of just lessons and pratice pratice.  I was taht way,I get bored easy.  I found some good teachers from you tube.  I mention these guys only cause they have really kept me going when I was about to let it lay low for a while.  Ill give you urls for their clips.

http://www.youtube.com/user/papastache102

Pappa is cool!

http://www.youtube.com/user/martyzsongs     

Marty is cool too. He and Bret kinda work together from time to time

http://www.youtube.com/user/youcanlearnguitar 

http://www.youtube.com/user/FullDistortionDotCom

http://www.youtube.com/user/activemelody

and of course jamplay,, but you got to pay for that.  but they have some great free samples also

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I've been playing guitar since i was 15 yrs old and i learned a lot from school, forums and even from friends too.
And it was good! But when my friend introduced some software it made a lot easier when learning some fast and tricky riffs. I'm in to Jazz

I think I sense the aroma of some awaiting spam.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

I like eggs with my Spam Russ.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

There appears to be a trend with this thread, doesn't there?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Then lemme break the trend... If you are a beginner you need emotional rewards. And songs give you these. Sooo: yes practice chords, but look for songs to play with them. I propably never would have gotten the very fast Am - G change without Oasis looking back over my shoulder in Anger...

Cheers, Tom

I persist because I am stubborn.

My motto: Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Russell_Harding wrote:

I already edited that one removing the link to the website, in the hope that our first poster was legitimate.

I'm not convinced.  smile

I agree Jerome, he is a spammer.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I ,went for years trying to play songs & couldn't find the right chords. I took a few leasons a few years ago  & the thing that helped the most was learning the 1 4 5 sequence. I'm 75 ,so you can teach an old dog new tricks

Well! My advice for new players is that they should work hard. And get their aim. Their aim should just that they have win their match.  Their hard work can win them. There training is depending on them

Also learn those chords in as many voicings as possible

So Red Delicious