Topic: Well...... I tried it.

I've got a Seymour Duncan Woody pickup on my guitar and using a dynamic mic for my voice (Samson Q6), both put through the two channel amp, and then a USB mic (Samson CO1U or some such) in front of the amp to record the output.  It worked ...  OK.  Not great.  I like not having to sing loudly and being able to mix, but it sounds a bit like I'm doing the recording in a sewer.  Next attempt (who knows when) will be to record through my sound board with USB output to the computer.  I'll see whether my acoustic amp will double as a monitor, or maybe the sound board has headphone output.  It's all an experiment.  Wish me luck.

Maybe some day I'll get this well enough to take care of the couple of collaboration projects I have from Geoaguiar.  I think he's only waited a year or so.  I owe that man a beer (or treat of his choice) should we ever meet just for his patience.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Well...... I tried it.

Wishing you luck...and I will buy that beer. I go to DC for work now and again. We'll work out a meeting place.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

A tleasy you are trying something, Zurf.  I have been thinking about getting a nice video camera and putting some of my stuff on YouTube, but alas, it's still in the thinking stage.  so good luck to you. and good for you for trying.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

geoaguiar wrote:

Wishing you luck...and I will buy that beer. I go to DC for work now and again. We'll work out a meeting place.

Make a point of it, PLEASE!

Pete - I don't think I'm going to Youtube it unless and until I get myself to a point where I've done some open mics.  That's why I'm practicing in my "studio" with a mic, pickup, and amp.  Also, I find it's a whole, whole, whole lot easier to control my voice in process when I can hear myself.  I'm going to start recommending using a mic and monitor when people ask about improving their singing. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

So I pulled out the box to take a look at the instruction manual, which is a disc and not a book.  I'm far too lazy to try and read a manual from a CD, so I just started plugging stuff in and after some adjusting to get rid of heinous feedback, it actually works.  I'll need a USB cable to plug it in, so I'll be off to Target.  Also, I'm going to need a better pickup than the Woody, but it'll work for now until the tax return comes in.

Hey there Zurf,  You might not need another pickup brother...  you might need just a smidge of amplification on that Seymour.  I use a small ART preamp for such things and it seems to work pretty well, about $30 via Musician's Friend.  Not too much for the sound card, but drives the signal up without burning up the sound card (has a built in output limiter for that).

Congrats on the experimentation though, hope it all works out fine!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Zurf wrote:
geoaguiar wrote:

Make a point of it, PLEASE!

Pete - I don't think I'm going to Youtube it unless and until I get myself to a point where I've done some open mics.  That's why I'm practicing in my "studio" with a mic, pickup, and amp.  Also, I find it's a whole, whole, whole lot easier to control my voice in process when I can hear myself.  I'm going to start recommending using a mic and monitor when people ask about improving their singing. 

- Zurf

Good idea, Zurf.
I learned to sing on stage using a microphone. I learned to listen to the sound coming out of the speakers and to make changes to THAT sound which is a more accurate representation of what you sound like than what you normally hear.
Open mic concerts teach us to focus outside of our selves and direct our communication outward towards the audience. Do simple songs that you know well at first. As you sing, never forget to aim your sound at the far end of the room. Your voice will automatically project and your sound will focus out to the crowd like it should.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

8 (edited by Zurf 2011-04-20 01:48:59)

Well I've been having some fun recording a few songs I do a lot.  Mekidsmom put up a Jim Croce song on Facebook that was great.  So I saw her Jim Croce and raised her an Elton John.  I need to get some headphones with a 1/4" jack to monitor the recording.  However, I'm just doing so much better with Toots's recommendation of singing to the back of the room.  My room is small, and I'm the only one in it usually, and so I sing to my autoharp and my filing cabinet and such, but they seem to appreciate it and it has definitely made a difference in projecting.  It's a whole lot easier than running through the checklist of all the voice lessony things (open your throat, lock your abdomen, push with your diaphragm, drop your jaw, blah, blah, blah). 

Anyway.  It's been fun.

^ Where's the link?

http://www.richbitchitch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/wheres-the-beef.jpg

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I sent my stuff via e-mail.  You've got Mekidsmom's facebook contact already, haven't you?

Yeah... he sent it PRIVATE via email... so only I can hear it!  ha ha ha ha!  I'm cool.  I get the first listen!  Jeff, I guess you just have to post some Croce stuff to get him to let you listen!  tongue

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

12 (edited by Zurf 2011-04-21 14:53:58)

I e-mailed to Jeff (even with the personal intros - which I suppose I could have edited out but would have had to figure out how and that sounds almost like work). 

But given that I saw Amy's Jim Croce and raised her an Elton John, now Jeff has to see my Croce and John and decide whether he's going to raise the hand again.

- Zurf

Interesting thread for someone struggling with understanding what it means to "play the guitar".

Zurf--

I amy be a little late in this reply,,, but as to useing your woody pick up (--man that just dont sound right!)  I have found that putting a compressor sustainer in the line b4  the computer or the mixer  helps to push the signal and of course smooths it out.

Beamer.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)