Topic: Thank You Toney (Southpaw41L)

This afternoon, for the first time in my life, I got up and played in front of strangers. Our friend Toney was playing a gig not far from home and invited me to bring my guitar. I was hoping to play some easy rhythm back-up to his awesome playing and singing, but there was limited space for a second player. So instead, he invited me up to play a few tunes between sets.

Nervous doesn't begin to describe my feelings. Even though the crowd was small, I had never sung into a microphone in my life and rarely ever even plug in my guitar. The bar stool wasn't right, the guitar wasn't comfortable and my leg wouldn't stop shaking. The first tune was a disaster, but I played 4 or 5 songs and got more comfortable with each one. The crowd was very supportive and Toney was the most gracious host (as usual).

All I can say is the ice has been broken and next time will be that much better. I know I've got things to work on, the first being getting more comfortable in front of a mike. I really appreciate having the opportunity - Thanks Toney!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

2 (edited by bensonp 2011-11-07 00:10:26)

Re: Thank You Toney (Southpaw41L)

Most excellent, topdown.  My first time in front of a mic was at my daughhters wedding about three years ago.  She asked me to do it a couple of months before and I worried constantly about it.  It turned out wonderful and I am a better person for it.  Sometimes we have to be pushed.  Now ain't that a good thing to have behind you.  I hope you have many more chances in the future.
Now we hope to see some YouTube videos. smile

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

good for you topdown,I played in a small band in high school but never alone,even that was scary.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Congratulations Topdown for making good on an opportunity offered by a fine and gracious gentleman like Toney.
You hung in there after a shaky start and made good things happen.
I am honored to have met both of you guys. Toney sees your potential Tops, and is willing to help all he can. You have the courage to take the ball and run with it.
I'm proud of both of you.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Well done Jeff. The first time is always the most frightening and particularly to go solo, had it been a duet with Toney it would have been far easier, but not so rewarding.

So get a mic, plug in at home and keep the neighbours awake while you get used to it. smile

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

YAY!  I'm sure you did great Jeff!  I'm surprised that it was your first time though.  I did see a youtube vid from a small chordie get together and you play quite well.  I know what you mean about nerves, and it does get easier with time.  I agree with Roger, somehow I think getting used to singing into a mic may just make all the difference in the world.  Good for you, and cudos to Toney for "tricking" you into it!  That's what good friends are for!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Jeff,

I am proud of you, now you need to get some confidence and rock the house. Toney is a great guy and I'm sure you made his day smile

Buy a mic and plug in to an amp and practice with it and you will be on your way.

Later Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Way to go! First time is the hardest. smile

I just love happy endings! Way to go!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Right on Tops! Glad to see this new experience turn out well. A day not to be forgotten! BTW-what songs did you croon
  your audience with?       Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Thanks everyone - I just hope I wasn't so horrible that I get another opportunity (after some additional practice for sure). Funny - I have no problems belting out a tune in my living room or in front of friends - the mike and amp make it a totally different experience.

I've got to thank many of my chordie friends for giving me the guts to do it. Besides Toney, Guitarpix, Zurf and TubaT have all personally shown me the way - that is in addition to watching all of the youtube and soundclick posts from various members.

One thing I am sure of is, the next time I will be better!

papaguitar - I just did some easy Prine and Cash tunes - the one that messed me up was the D6 chord in Hello In There - I've played the song a thousand times and haven't missed the chord in a long while, but yesterday I couldn't find it for the life of me.

maybe if you posted some songs on youtube,we could give you our input.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

^ dino - I've attempted a few vids - lack of recording equipment and a general disgust of hearing myself prevents me from posting. I'm a 47 year old man playing for my own enjoyment  -the fact that I got up in front of strangers for the first time in my life is good enough for me - no need to record it and have it floating around cyberspace for critique or ridicule is necessary.

Maybe one day when I have the time and equipment, I'll throw something up -In my previous attempts, I'd stop after one minor mistake. I don't have the time for that.

Come on down for a jam and hear me live on the back porch - I'll take all the input you can give and give you all the food and  libations you can stand!

You're very welcome Jeff !

Chordians, don't let Jeff=topdown fool ya' ! He's humble and he can flat out play and sing. As many of you know, it's not easy to get up in front of a group of people and bare ones' soul. Jeff did exactly that and did a damn fine job !

Lookin' foward to the next time Jeffro !

Give everything but up.

topdown wrote:

- lack of recording equipment and a general disgust of hearing myself prevents me from posting.

Jeff, because we normally hear ourselves talk and sing internally and not solely with our ears, a recording then sounds like a stranger and it does take some getting used to. Rest assured if you sounded awful Toney is honest enough to tell you, so don't be so down on yourself.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Well done Jeff, sounds like you really enjoyed it! Toney is obviously a gentleman of the first order, too. I hope to get to Florida one day, and will try to go and see Toney play. Would really like to meet up with you as well, if possible!
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

So today, 2 weeks after my virgin performance, I once again had the opportunity to play a few tunes during one of Toney's gigs. Toney's voice wasn't up to par today and it seemed there were many musicians in the pub willing to lend a hand. This was both good - because it was more like an open mike setting, and bad - because playing in front of other musicians just added to the nerves.

Anyway, since my first attempt, and along the advice given here, I have purchased a microphone (Shure SM58) as well as a mixer (the Behringer that jerome posted as such a bargain from Amazon). I only received the equipment earlier this week, but have made an effort the past few days to get more comfortable playing standing up and singing into a mic. Even the little bit of practice was very worthwhile.

Although there is still a lot of work to be done, my level of confidence and therfore playing was 10X better than the first attempt - not saying it was good, but it was a whole lot better. I chose some songs I thought I was more comfortable playing and singing and just watching the audience nod their heads in beat gave me added confidence. Goes to prove that musicians are awesome people - I felt the applause was heartfelt as they were all beginners once. Hey - If I can continue to improve at this rate, in a few years I may not be bad to listen to.

Lesson learned - I've got to got to practice these songs so I know them inside out backwards and blindfolded. It is so much easier playing at home than it is playing in front of people. If I flub at home, I usually have no trouble playing through it, and I've got to learn to do the same in front of a mic - most folks wouldn't even  notice a missed chord if you can sing through it, but stop singing (like I did) and your dead.

The best part of the afternoon was after my short set, an 87 your old man asked to borrow my guitar and did a few "old country" songs. I was glad to oblige and the smile on my face lasted through all 3 or 4 of his tunes. May I be so fortunate to still be singing and playing when I am his age.

Thanks again Toney - You ARE the MAN!

Good for you Jeff!!!

Yes, continuing on and not stopping is one key to playing in front of people.  I learned that the hard way as well... you stop when you flub because it's what you're used to and just that second you realize everyone ELSE is still singing "along".  AHH!  They were so wrapped up they wouldn't have really noticed the flub or cared. 

So, when's the next performance???  wink

Way to go Jeff.
   Continue on your journey of musical bliss. There's nothing like the high you get from knowing you can entertain people. Enjoy every minute of your new found love. Don't worry to much about the mistakes, it happens to most everyone sometime. Cover them when you can and make a joke out of it if you can't. If you make a joke of a mistake most people will see the human side of your performace and still accept you as a real person. It works for me  and I've ben playing out for years. Best of luck.

Joe

Topdown, when I first started recording for YouTube a short while ago, I found myself starting over every time I made a mistake, but have since learned to just brush over the mistakes and keep going.  Yes, it bothers me when I leave a mistake in there, but doing a recording over and over just makes it harder to do each time.  So, while my recordings are far from great, I still enjoy doing them, although that little red recording light is worse than any audience.  People get the idea how I play and sing, even though there are some mistakes in them.  I'm recording for myself and my friends and family, not to become the next great recording star.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Sorry I missed you, Tops. You have the best attitude about performing and that will serve you well. Hope to see a vid of you some time soon.
You bought a great microphone. I bought my first SM-58 after I saw the Rolling Stones singing through them on a concert tour. They take a beating and sound great.

toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

^ thanks toots - the mike was bought on your recommendation on another thread. Come on down anytime, sure to have a blast!

Oh... and Jeff... it couldn't have been as bad as my husband's try around the campfire during the July River Jam.  Trust me and everyone that was there... he must have stopped 10 times in his song to straighten himself out, saying a word that's not fit for Chordie, then continuing on.  I still laugh just thinking about it (and yes, I'm pretty sure I have it recorded as well).  I can't wait to hear one of your recordings!!!

Heya Tops,

Get good and practiced up I hope to come down and play with you sometime in the next few months.

Good Job, keep workin with your  mic they are great practice tools and take some gettin used to............

Later, Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

wlbaye wrote:

Heya Tops,

Get good and practiced up I hope to come down and play with you sometime in the next few months.

Now Wayne - that sounds like a great plan. As soon as you can pick a date, lets set it up. I'd bet a few other chordians could use a trip to sunny Florida in mid winter and would like to join you if they have enough time to plan. TubaT?/ Chris??