Topic: wots the best amp for rockabilly

can someone tell me the best amp for rockabilly

2 (edited by beamer 2012-01-06 01:05:01)

Re: wots the best amp for rockabilly

VOX is a classic.  Fender Twins.

I am no expert, but I would imagin anything that can get great reverb and is all tube.  Whats your budget?

i am going to assume a low budget and give you some links to check into.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ … =used#used

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ … -combo-amp
(I have one of these. great classic tone and a great price/ its a copy of a vox btw)

It comes down to finding one you likethe sound of.  Solid state will be cheeper.  Line 6 and Berhinger  make good low cost stuff.

hope this helped.

just found this page it should answer all your basic questions.  CHEERS. 

http://www.the-jime.dk/Rockabilly_Guitar.htm#AMP

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

They are pricey and hard to find,but a tweed covered Gibson Falcon.I have an early 60s model.All tube,30 watts,great reverb and tremolo and a look that can`t be beat.I bought mine in 1984 for 85.00.I still use it.Look on ebay.You can find a newer one from the mid 60s.Have no idea if the guts are identical or not.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

hi lee, i see your from the uk so i would look at on-line shops in the uk/europe first!

thorsmanns from germany are good. i bought a vocal harmoniser from them. good service)

i found music matters are also good and prompt. (i bought a recording program from here, so i dont know if they do amps)

there are others but i cant remember their names at the moment, so just "search" an amp brand (vox etc) to find out the best price, then try one out at your local dealer (which will probably cost more but they will give you good advice) then when you've decided what suits you best, go for it.

let us know how you get on

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

like all rockabilly guitarist that I have seen I must say that a tube amp is a must and if you happen to be like me as far prefuring something simple to ajust, you cant go wrong  with a fender amp. I play out of a super reverb and cant say anything bad about it. I once owned a vox ( I believe it was an AC 30) I know ajusting the nobs properly they sound great. the problem for me was I could not get it to sound right. I know it was becuse of me , for one reason when I went to trade it in the guy at the guitar shop tested it out and it sounded great.

what a long strange trip it's been

patrickjacques wrote:

I went to trade it in the guy at the guitar shop tested it out and it sounded great.

DON'T YOU JUST HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS!  That is why you have to play with the shop amps and guitars lololol, or get them to show you what they just did.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I`ve got a roland cube 80  brilliant for rockabilly slap

great versatile amp  i`ve had it for 2 yrs still finding new settings eg swamp rock/ mersey beat/ surf/metal stack ect ect ect

The King Of Audio Torture

that's a lie Rollin Guitar amps! alllllllll the way!

Let's look into this, shall we? 

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/Bt0vtgGw … ian+Setzer

http://www.myrareguitars.com/10-classic-guitar-amps  You're looking for #7.

Second photo down, the amp is a Gretsch Executive:  http://gretschpages.com/forum/gretsch-e … 812/page1/

For Rockabilly, you want tubes.  A small amp working hard is where the original players got just that hint of distortion that they had back in the day, there were no "distortion channels" or effects; so a small amp as loud as it will go is preferable to a big amp with a distortion channel, or heaven forbid a digital distortion effect.  You'll want quite a bit of reverb, and some slapback echo; but if you go back to the roots of the genre, all the guitars were played clean.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Nice thoughts you are sharing with us.....I like it....

Like I always say.Go to a music store and try all the amps in your price range.One of them may have the sound you are after whether it is tubes or solid state.Today`s technology probably has something that has the sound you want.You can always try out a pignose.They have a dirty sound that is pretty much all their own. Brand names are the last thing you should look at.Decide by what sounds best to you.While a big chrome Fender emblem or big white Marshall emblem looks cool on mtv.There are cheaper brands that can do the job.Also-don`t forget used

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Saying something is a lie is not very nice and incorrect please keep your opinions friendly.

Farg0l wrote:

that's a lie Rollin Guitar amps! alllllllll the way!

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi, mate

don't know where you'd get one (e-bay?) but I bought a second-hand Laney Tubefusion - not knowing what I was buying - a few years back and it has an outstanding reverb and warmth. I play an Epiphone 335 through it and it absolutely howls - but is also fabulous with no gain/drive.  I played my first ever gig as a lone guitarist last month and whilst i didn't win any prizes for my playing, everyone said how great it sounded.

And in the end, your only friend is one who's thinking what you're thinking

Get yourself a Digital delay and chorus pedal, to go with whatever amp you chose. They'll set you back about £35 to £40 each.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.