Topic: Recommendations for a Classical Guitar: Budget ~$300

Bitten by the nylon gremlin I am. I know nothing about classical guitars. I'm looking for recommendations and guidance towards this eventual purchase. New or used.

The first advice I received was: "solid cedar top and Spanish".

So far I've researched: Yamaha, Cordoba, La Patrie, Alvarez, and something called "Mr. Potato". Yes, you read that right. I am skeptical about a guitar named after a tuber.

Speaking of tubers, if I use a pick on a classical guitar will tomatoes rain down upon me?

Re: Recommendations for a Classical Guitar: Budget ~$300

nao I just got a takamine f312 for $25.00 ( leftover garage sale ) it can take metel and nylon stringes. It is a good sounding and playing guitar.I think it was Guitarpix who had one at one time. Yamahas,takamines epiphones all seem too make decent lower priced classicals.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Time to visit the guitar store Nao, but watch out because if they don't have a huge selection you're going to end up overpaying.  Also, you could check out craigslist.  I've seen a lot on there recently going fairly cheap.  I paid less than $200 for mine new.  I can't say it's a great awesome quality, but it sure hasn't shown me wrong.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-YAIRI-AND- … 500wt_1287     May be worth keeping your eye on if your ready to buy soon....

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I have a big problem with classical guitars. The flat neck is far too wide to allow me to play comfortably unless I go for a 3/4 sized one. However a used Samick CS9-1 appeared in the shop I work and teach at which I immediately put it one one side for myself. It is a full sized but has a neck that is the same width as my electric and acoustic guitar. I find it so much easier to play than any other classical I have ever tried.

Well worth looking at if you are not used to the wide neck of a conventional classical.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks Guitarpix, but I don't think the Yairi will come in under budget.

I thought it might come in kinda low for a Yairi considering.....   Ended up selling for 282.00

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

http://www.rondomusic.com/cl50ce.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/cgltd3.html

good reviews; I've bought other stuff and it's always been a great value

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

For some reason,nylon string guitars seem to always turn up in antique stores. I just saw an old silvertone for 85.00 last monday.Take some time and you may find a deal on one.Don`t leave any stone unturned.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.