Topic: Ear training

I understand ear training is important for continued improvement.I'm thinking of purchasing one of the courses i see advertised online.Play at an intermediate level.Am I getting ahead of myself.If not any recomendations on which course is the best.Thanks for your inputs

2 (edited by bluejeep 2012-02-03 02:33:05)

Re: Ear training

Lost me on this one. I gotta ask, what is ear training?

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

If I understand it correctly it is the ability to identify intervals, Maj 3rds,perfect 4ths,perfect 5ths etc.Help if trying to play by ear.

I have a feeling Jerome will be here in a bit to let you know his opinion, and he's the one I'd ask those questions to.  I think ear training is an EXCELLENT IDEA... but then again, I also think really learning theory is and I haven't done it yet.  sad

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Bought an at home study course called"Absolutley Understand Guitar"turns to have been more on music theory than guitar but the instructor,Scotty West,is such a good teacher made it understandably and actually enjoyable.The course is rather long-32hrs.-and requires an investment of time but worth it for anyone in the dark about scales,chords,and really the basics of music theory.

How do we get both ears onto the guitar at the same time?

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

7 (edited by bluejeep 2012-02-03 23:17:59)

We used to call it listening.    just having a bit of fun with ya, welcome to Chordie.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

The listening part I got I can listen to Joe B or Eric C with the best of em.

Ear training is by far one of the most effective and useful ways of translating and expressing music.However, if u're able to hear and play but can't understand music theory, u're at a great loss...

Thank you for taking the time to reply.I do agree with you a basic knowledge of theory is most helpful and as i mentioned previously a home study course called "Absolutley Understand Guitar"is really a great intro to understanding music theory.It's rather long-32 hrs. 2 1hr.lessons /dvd but if your looking to get your feet wet this is recommended.I sound like a salesman which i'm not but this course is the real thing.Now back to my original ques.What's the best way to go in "ear training" on line courses,for purchase home study course?If  so which one?Thanks

I did ear training in college so I can't comment on home study courses, but the Perfect Pitch course has been advertised for years. Based upon samples it seems like a good product. If you have an iphone you might also try this. the beginner course is free: http://www.karajan-eartrainer.com/en/

Ear training is really handy if you're playing with people that have trouble describing what they're going to do. 

No theory guy - "Hey, do you know Song X?"

Theory guy - "What key is it in, and I can probably fake it."

NTG - "Key?  I just play from my gut!"

At that point, TG can have NTG play a few bars, and ear training will help figuring out what he's doing.

This scenario, more than any other thing, is why everyone should have at least a bit of theory behind them. It gives us a common lingo in which to communicate.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I want to know more what is actually ear training i am not sure about that ear training.

I think "ear training" in the sense that you mean is training your ear to recognize notes and intervals when you hear them.  You can get yourself a head start on this by singing the names of the notes you play when you practice scales.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Thanks for your answer...

Music is obviously about sound, so training your ears to recognize common note and chord combinations is an important skill to have. Practice singing/playing up and down a few times, then try skipping notes and finically try it all over again without playing. just singing.

Ear training is the ability to identify notes, intervals, chords, rhythms etc by ear. It's incredibly useful. Try www.musictheory.net or www.teoria.com for some practice exercises. If you do a little bit each day, you'll soon improve!

**[b]no free ads on Chordie links removed Rh[/b]

tubatooter1940 wrote:

How do we get both ears onto the guitar at the same time?

Simple, just do what Van Gough did!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman