Topic: Skype Jam Test Participation Instructions.

I started a thread called World Wide Jamm Session.  The idea is to do a campfire style jam where each person plays a song and then passes the baton to the next player. 

There seemed a good bit of interest in participating, but it seemed folks weren't sure how to do it.  Here's how.

1. Be sure that your computer has a microphone and if you want to share video, a web cam.  (Web cam is optional)  Most laptops have built in microphones.  Desktop computers usually have to have one added.  It doesn't have to be high quality. 

2. Go to www.skype.com and sign up for an account.  Accounts are free, at least in the U.S.  I think they are free worldwide.

3. Once you have an account and have installed the software (also free to download), launch the Skype application.

4. Go to add a contact.  You can do this either by clicking on the Add a Contact button near the bottom of the Skype screen, or by using the top menu with the following steps: Click on Contacts to get a drop down menu.  From the drop down menu, click on Add a Contact. 

5.  A search screen will appear.  In the search screen put "Derek Zurfluh" in the Full Name or Skype Name field.  Then click the "+Add" button. 

This will send a message to me that you want to add me as a contact.  When I accept, we will be connected. 

Tell me below in this thread or in the other thread that you want to participate.  However, if you tell me you want to participate but don't establish the connection between us via Skype, we won't be able. 

Thanks,
Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Skype Jam Test Participation Instructions.

I'm in!

I'm in also, I think.  Iput your name in and clicked add, but nothing happened that I could see.  If I'm on your contacts, let me know.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Pete - I didn't see an invitation from you, but I sent you one.  At least I hope I did.  There are 26 Pete Bensons, but one of them said Hurricane and looked like you.  I figured that was the one. 

BGD - I'll be looking for your invitation to connect.  Or you can e-mail me your name and Skype name and I'll send one to you. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Just checked, and you are on my contact list. Let's do this thing!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

My name is baldguitardude. I think you just accepted it.

Baldguitardude wrote:

My name is baldguitardude. I think you just accepted it.

Yeah, I got it.  Thanks!

Neither Zurf or BGD came up as recognized when entered in the user name or full name fields. I sent email via skype to each so add me if you get it.

user name is topdown67

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Zurf wrote:

5.  A search screen will appear.  In the search screen put "Derek Zurfluh" in the Full Name or Skype Name field.  Then click the "+Add" button.

This may have something to do with a search on Zurf.

I'll do a search for topdown67 today.

- Zurf

I just sent Topdown a request.  So now I've got Mekidsmom, BGD, Roger Guppy, Topdown (soon), Bensonp, and Normtheguitar.  This will do for a test. 

I'll pick three times on a weekend.  Out of these folks, and any others who connect with my on Skype by then, pick the most convenient times in order.  The time with the best score wins. 

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:

The time with the best score wins. 

- Zurf

sounds like a little competition... LOL!  Fun fun!  I'm excited!  Here's hoping the kids will allow it and not try to hog the webcam too much!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Should be interesting! Can I put in the first song requests? I would like Amy to sing "Crazy" (the Gnarls Barkley song) and Zurf to sing "Dead Skunk"! Just a polite request - no pressure!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

I have sent requests to everyone except Paul as I cannot find him with either his name (there are 200 Paul Woods on Skype and neither e-mail from Chordie or Facebook found him).

I am pretty sure that we all have to be contacts otherwise if Zurf is the only person who has all the contacts he will be the only person that can hear eveybody.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

That's why we're going to test.   The instructions in Skype don't mention that.  But I've read enough tech manuals to know just how accurate they usually are. 

- Zurf

How's this for a test time? Sunday the 26th,  3 P.M. US Eastern Time.  I believe that is 1 P.M. for Pete and BGD and 8 P.M. for Roger and Normtheguitar.   

Folks for the test run:
Zurf
BGD
topdown
bensonp
normtheguitar
Roger Guppy
mekidsmom (and her kids)

Is that OK? 

- Zurf

Sounds good to me.  A reminder might help.  I'm looking forward to it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Fine with me.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

3:00 on Sunday sounds good - I might run out early though as Toney (southpaw) starts playing up the road at 3:30

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I will be there!  Or rather here, pretending I'm there.  I may have to start work at 5:45 - I haven't gotten the "for sure" that our new hours start this Sunday or this Monday, but at least I don't have to go anywhere.  I'll just have to sign off Skype about a half hour early to make sure I can get my computer set up to use it for work without any issues.  If I don't have to work until Monday night, then I'll have a drink in hand and plan to be on Skype until the last person signs off.  wink

I don't have Pete or Paul in my Skype yet... I think I should keep it that way for the test, then we'll know for sure if everyone has to be added on everyone else's Skype or not.  We can always add people in on the fly!  smile

All I have in my Skype contacts is Zurf so far.

We may have some diddling about and trouble-shooting to do at the beginning of the call.  That's why we're calling it a test.  If necessary, everyone can share contacts at the beginning of the call. 

- Zurf

That time should be fine for me! My Skype name is - "p.d.woody01"  just in case anyone needs it. OK, bring it on!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

BTW Paul, I haven't played Crazy in a while... so I've been practicing just for you.  As you will recall last June, I kind of avoided the request.  It was on purpose as I wasn't comfy playing it having not done it in a while or perfected it to my liking.  I will keep practicing until Sunday and play it for ya!  wink

Thanks Amy! Look forward to it...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic