Topic: 5 string banjo

any really easy songs to play on 5 string banjo I am just learning

Re: 5 string banjo

welcome here alexm1206,I do not know of any but some others may see your post and be able too help you. You can get bango chords of any song when you go too it by looking  down the page and selecting tuning,the bango chords will show up there.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I have been playing at being a banjo player for 35 years or so now.  Best thing I can tell you is start right here on chordie and look up some of YOUR favorite songs, change the instrument to 5 string banjo and get the chord diagrahms.  The best way I have ever found to learn a song is to really love the tune and WANT to learn to play it. 

As for easy songs, well any teaching book has those-ie Janet Davis, and others all have easy versions of bluegrass tunes.  But if you want to take banjo into other genres-like folk, rock, classical etc, then start looking up the tunes and have some fun.

Hi Alex,

Look on the Banjohangout site.  There are hundreds of banjo tabs, classified from easy to difficult.  Dirty Old Town sounds great on banjo and is easy to play.

www.banjohangout.org

Maureen

Hi all I have a banjo and of course the book BUT my 5 string is a long tom and got 4 extra frets so where do I start???
Griff

Yes, you have to love the song to want to learn it. I began years ago with some realy simple songs. Like three chords. I expounded upon that all to learn some real populat and famous bluegrass songs.

I don't learn songs I don't care about.

You have to learn the finger position of the left and the rollor rolls of the right. Then get the tune in your head to assist you with the timing. If you don't get that timing right it will sound like trash or pig lattin even if you get the chords right.

Start the songs slow. I mean real slow and get the fingering right from the get-go.

dgriffiths62 wrote:

Hi all I have a banjo and of course the book BUT my 5 string is a long tom and got 4 extra frets so where do I start???
Griff

I don't know what book you have, but you'd start in the front of the book, seriously.

Something that has a CD you can listen to is a real help. REAL help. You'd read through the pages  of introduction untill you get to the section when you have to begin picking the strings. Then, at that point, they ad the CD so you can get some idea of the timing which is the rythum and the melody which is the progression of notes. Soon, they add filler notes between the melody notes. Before long, you are picking three finger style/bluegrass. Playing a melody AND filler notes to make a songe sound rich and full.

greenleaf wrote:
dgriffiths62 wrote:

Griff

I don't know what book you have, but you'd start in the front of the book, seriously.

Classic wisdom...  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]