Topic: Slash Chords

Is there a difference between a slash chord that's notated C/B and one that's notated C/b?

For example, from a version of "Simple Twist of Fate" by Bob Dylan,

G
They sat together in the park
Bm
As the evening sky grew dark,
G7
She looked at him and he felt a spark
C      /b     Am
tingle to his bones.

What's going on in the last line?

Thanks!

Re: Slash Chords

No difference. In this example you're basically walking the bass line down from the C to the Am using a passing tone rather than just switching chords outright.

Although I've never heard this song you can probably also play a G/b in that spot and it would sound just dandy.

So, BGD, I've been picking this song, and from the C chord, I've just removed my fourth finger from the fifth fret, and then moved my third finger from the second fret of the D string to the second fret of the A string to sound B, and from there, going up to the Am. Is that what the notation is saying I should do?

Hi MB
A bass walk from C to Am is quite common. Keeping the C chord shape (The five string version) just move your fouth finger down a fret to B note then move it over to finger the Am Chord. If your strumming then just play the note on it's own between the transistion.
ark

Thanks Arkady, I think I got it now.

I'm not sure how you're playing that chord, but if you're stretching from the 2nd to the 5th fret you have some pretty flexible hands for a new player.

And yes you're correct. you can play this C:

x

to this (c/b)
x

or this (G/b)

x

to that A minor. they should both sound fine.

Whoops! Not the fifth fret, the fifth string--sorry about that confusion BGD!