Topic: New Amp

The more I mess around with my electric guitar, the more I'm looking for "THE SOUND".I play on a Roland micro cube amp with a multi effects pedal. plenty of sound for the basement but it still has a little box sound. I'm looking to pick up a new amp and wondered if anyone has an opinion on this amp? Line 6 Spider iv 75.

2 (edited by beamer 2012-03-22 04:57:55)

Re: New Amp

If your wanting to spend 300, I would look into  TUBE POWER. 

The standard answer here is " Go to the store and play with all of them."

How much more sound do you want?  I cant remember but does the cube have an external speaker jack?  You could just pipe it into a 10 or 12 in speaker.  That amp is designed for low level playing and pratice.  If you want to play with a drummer,, Im thinkning at least a 15 to 30 watt amp.  I held my own back ing the day with a little Marshall lead 12 amp.

A 5 watt tube amp = around 30 watts of solid state.  If you have a multi effects, you really dont need a modeling amp,  if its economy time,, look into Berhinger, or Bugera  http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/V5.aspx  I have this one and a 65 Watt berhinger 2 channel (both the same company)    Go play in the store and get what makes you feel good.

Peace

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Beamer is right. Try it first. I have a peavey vyper.It is great to test effects before I buy.It really doesnt get regular use. My daughter (the trout) has a line 6 spider 15 and she loves it. Line 6 has a website with different settings you can use. Think toyourself. do I really need all the bells and whistles? Will it collect dust in the long run? Out of all my amps, I always end up using my Gibson Falcon I have had forever.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I'd definately agree with Beamer, if you have multi effects go the tube route, once you've used a tube amp I doubt you'll go back! My recommendation would be a Blackstar HT5, more than enough for a basement http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-5r/

But try as many as you can

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Beamer is right on.

i would recommend staying away from modeling amps if you can. The reason? I have a Fender Mustang my wife bought me for Xmas. I asked for an Acoustic Brand 30 watt and a multi-effects pedal or a Wah.

I use my Mustang but I should have returned it. I feel that it does not make a "true" sound. It supposedly models 8 amps with many, many effects that you can use. The problem is there is no way to find a clean amp model. All of the settings seem to have one or more effects along with the model or setting you choose.

I would rather have a regular two channel amp, a wah or multi-effects with a wah, and fiddle with the treble, bass, and gain to produce my sounds.

bunbun wrote:

i would recommend staying away from modeling amps if you can. The reason? I have a Fender Mustang my wife bought me for Xmas. I asked for an Acoustic Brand 30 watt and a multi-effects pedal or a Wah.

I use my Mustang but I should have returned it. I feel that it does not make a "true" sound. It supposedly models 8 amps with many, many effects that you can use. The problem is there is no way to find a clean amp model. All of the settings seem to have one or more effects along with the model or setting you choose.

I would rather have a regular two channel amp, a wah or multi-effects with a wah, and fiddle with the treble, bass, and gain to produce my sounds.

That is true about modeling amps. When I get the urge to try a new effect, I can use the modeling amp to see if it is necessary.It seems to make every sound EXCEPT a guitar plugged into an amp.No matter what I do,there is always an echo when I stop playing

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:
bunbun wrote:

That is true about modeling amps. When I get the urge to try a new effect, I can use the modeling amp to see if it is necessary.It seems to make every sound EXCEPT a guitar plugged into an amp.No matter what I do,there is always an echo when I stop playing

I have not used my http://www.behringer.com/assets/GMX112_ … ont_XL.jpg since I got my Bugera V5.  The 112 has been discontinued but they have the 212.  same amp 2 speakers.  Point being, with out the midi foot controler, you get to use one preset at a time on either channel.  And the "tube simulator" for the "low watt overdriven tubes" is just like J3 says.

W/ this and even with my RP, I find a good clean and then uses some stomps to get somethingdiff.  one good thing is that this amp comes with a foot pedal for channel switch and effects on or off.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Buzzwagon wrote:

I'd definately agree with Beamer, if you have multi effects go the tube route, once you've used a tube amp I doubt you'll go back! My recommendation would be a Blackstar HT5, more than enough for a basement http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-5r/

Jerry

I just checked that out! Man the mini stack is the schiznizzel.  Where was that stuff when I was 16?????  The combo is kick butt also,,,,,, I will say that the Bugera was only around 140 when I got it.  It was brand new on a special deal.  Its now 190 and only has a 8 in speaker.   OH but the 8 incher can get it going! 

I need to get an external cab for it, a 12 would open it up even more.  Iwas thinking of wireing it inline to my GMX112.  It has the speaker out jack but they warn only to use audio cable and not a guitar cable.  Any thoughts on this? (sorry sorta hijacked thread.)

TUBE TUBE TUBE TUBE  TUBE TUBE  TUBE TUBE  TUBE TUBE  TUBE TUBE  TUBE TUBE

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie … 7000001000

ANOTHER ONE TO LOOK INTO:  if you got 300, save 150 more.

Beamer, a foot switch would be nice. The wife actually got me one for the amp but it only will switch between two channels. I have looked for a multi-channel foot switch but the mustang does not accept one...sadly.

beamer wrote:
Buzzwagon wrote:

Jerry

I just checked that out! Man the mini stack is the schiznizzel.  Where was that stuff when I was 16?????  The combo is kick butt also,,,,,, I will say that the Bugera was only around 140 when I got it.  It was brand new on a special deal.  Its now 190 and only has a 8 in speaker.   OH but the 8 incher can get it going! 

I need to get an external cab for it, a 12 would open it up even more.  Iwas thinking of wireing it inline to my GMX112.  It has the speaker out jack but they warn only to use audio cable and not a guitar cable.  Any thoughts on this? (sorry sorta hijacked thread.)

Blackstar were only set up a few years ago by some ex Marshall guys. I've got the HT5R and I have to say their stuff is really creating a buzz over here, from the tiny HT1, which is amazing, to the Artisan range their stuff is just awesome.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Buzzwagon wrote:
beamer wrote:
Buzzwagon wrote:

Jerry

Blackstar were only set up a few years ago by some ex Marshall guys. I've got the HT5R and I have to say their stuff is really creating a buzz over here, from the tiny HT1, which is amazing, to the Artisan range their stuff is just awesome.

Jerry

William Shakespeare probably summed it up best when it comes to amps. When he wrote the immortal words, "TUBEY OR NOT TUBEY".

Enjoy Every Sandwich