Topic: Best tabs for banjo

Hi all.  I enjoy playing banjo. It's a great sound and lots of fun to play.  There are many websites with tabs for banjo, however most are very traditional bluegrass or fiddle tunes.  There are many country rock and folk songs that work well on banjo, but it takes a long time to trawl through hundreds of tabs to find suitable tunes.  If anyone else has done this, appreciate your input in order to create a songlist for banjo players.  Please don't exclude slower songs, some of Alison Kraus' recordings sound great on banjo at a slower pace.

Thank you smile

Re: Best tabs for banjo

Hi newbie,and welcome here.I do not know of any sites myself but someone my see your post and be able too help.Meanwhile you can get banjo chords for any song here by going too the song and press the tuning portion andit will pop up the chords for which ever banjo you have.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

What style of Banjo do you ow n,, tenor, 6 string etc .

Hi Henry.  It's a standard 5 string banjo.  I've had it for 10 months now, I've learnt some songs with banjo tab but I would like to be able to pick along with more contemporary music.  I'm looking for input from other banjo players, who have looked for songs that adapt well to banjo.

Hey Newbie plucker
I have been pickin' the 5 string for about 4 years now.  Love it wondering what resources you do have available to you. I like alot of folk songs, i know they aren't traditional for the 5, but they do work well and not as much pressure to race  along!
Wishing you Happy Pickin
Tina

Hi Tina,  Thank you for replying.   The Banjo Hangout has hundreds of tabs, many are traditional bluegrass. I like to play around with other types of music (like The Pogues).  I'm working on Dirty Old Town, it is easy to play and lots of opportunity to add some effects.  I'm really pleased that someone understands where I'm coming from with this smile
Maureen

Newbie plucker wrote:

Hi Henry.  It's a standard 5 string banjo.  I've had it for 10 months now, I've learnt some songs with banjo tab but I would like to be able to pick along with more contemporary music.  I'm looking for input from other banjo players, who have looked for songs that adapt well to banjo.

Well I guess I took the short route and got me a six string guit/jo . if it was good enough for Django  it,ll do me fine . Good luck with your endeavours ..

Hi there newbie plucker, I know exactly what you mean about trying to find contemporary tabs for 5string banjo, I am over on bho too and cannot find many tabs for music that i actually know, it's frustrating.
Maybe we can start a movement?

and don't worry about the banjo jokes - you know they are just jealous of our lovely instruments really wink

Keep an open mind

9 (edited by ndrewoods 2012-04-22 04:40:38)

Newbie plucker wrote:

Hi all.  I enjoy playing banjo. It's a great sound and lots of fun to play.  There are many websites with tabs for banjo, however most are very traditional bluegrass or fiddle tunes.  There are many country rock and folk songs that work well on banjo lessons, but it takes a long time to trawl through hundreds of tabs to find suitable tunes.  If anyone else has done this, appreciate your input in order to create a songlist for banjo players.  Please don't exclude slower songs, some of Alison Kraus' recordings sound great on banjo at a slower pace.

Thank you smile

I am not good in playing banjo but I think I am getting there. I go to this forum if I have inquiries about banjo playing. They have banjo music but I'm afraid they ask money for some banjo music. Here it is: http://www.bluegrassworks.com/banjo_tab … _music.php

DONT KNOW WHERE THE TAB IS BUT HAVE YOU EVER HEARD " FADE TO BLUEGRASS" 

BY IRON HORSE?  TRIBUTE TO METALLICA http://www.amazon.com/Bluegrass-Tribute … B0000CC866

THERE IS ALSO ONE FOR GnR.  http://www.amazon.com/Take-Me-Home-Blue … pd_sim_m_1

enjoy!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Does any one know where I kind find the tab for Sweet City Woman by the Stampeders?

Hello Mr. Beamer.

I just bought another bluegrass.metal compilation on Amazon.  Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Bluegrass-Tribute … +bluegrass

It's pretty good, if you're a fan of Zakk Wylde and BLS.

Newbie plucker wrote:

Hi all.  I enjoy playing banjo. It's a great sound and lots of fun to play.  There are many websites with tabs for banjo, however most are very traditional bluegrass or fiddle tunes.  There are many country rock and folk songs that work well on banjo, but it takes a long time to trawl through hundreds of tabs to find suitable tunes.  If anyone else has done this, appreciate your input in order to create a songlist for banjo players.  Please don't exclude slower songs, some of Alison Kraus' recordings sound great on banjo at a slower pace.

Thank you smile

Hi just discovered a wee band today called   Roadkill Ghost Choir  with a song called Beggars Guild try that one out

hi Q, welcome to chordie and you will always be welcome as long as you continue to follow the rules. many people join, find an old thread, as you have done, make some remark then return later when no-ones looking and add some spam. i do hope that is not your intention? be aware that you are being observed as are all contributors. neutral

spam will get you banned

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Try bluesageband.com. There you will find a lot of tabs as diverse as I have ever seen. From folk to country to blues to classical to contemporary etc.

You know, the sad part of this is that the last post but one is mine which is dated a year ago and many of the posters have still only one post to their credit! They all seemed happy to join the conversation and then never bothered again. If you're still Chordie members and look in from time to time let us know you're there maybe post some tips and tricks, experiences good or bad. Your input will always be appreciated.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.