You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-01 17:03:03

auxi

best place to learn music theory

Does anyone know of a good site that teaches music theory?

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie :p

#2 2012-05-06 14:22:33

jerome.oneil
Website

Re: best place to learn music theory

I think this one does alright.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

www.aclosesecond.com

#3 2012-05-06 16:15:56

auxi

LOL,So far so good! Haven't got bad advice yet, so I guess I'll just stay here. Hope I don't irritate y'all with a bunch of questions. smile
I guess we can start with one that's been bothering me for a while...

How do I know what chord goes with a given line of notes?

BTW, Thanks for the reply!

^
                      Life right?

#4 2012-05-06 18:30:32

SouthPaw41L
Honoured Member

Look locally in your community for classes offered by professional musicians/instructors. Sure it costs a few bucks but there is no substitute for face to face, personal interaction. Check community colleges, city/county programs etc... No disrespect intended to this site or the thousands of others that offer "free" instruction/advice but one can't go wrong employing a reputable musician. In other words, ya get what you pay for......

The modern world is the child of doubt and inquiry, as the ancient world was the child of fear and faith.

#5 2012-05-07 03:27:02

Astronomikal
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Moderator

SouthPaw41L wrote:

. . . there is no substitute for face to face, personal interaction . . .

+1 on that comment.  The better guitar teachers will teach the theory as they go.  So you might find out if your local music shop has a guitar teacher who could do that for you.  It worked for me.  Even if you already play pretty well, they can start the theory part at the beginning for you.

This section of the forum is great.  But the thing is when you are first starting out, you don't yet know what you don't know, which means you don't know which questions you need to be asking.

A little up-front instruction in the basics will get you a general understanding of how music works, and then you can start filling in the knowledge gaps with people like Jerome and Russell and everyone else who has been so helpful to me on here.

I still feel very weak on music theory, but after spending a few weeks with a very good guitar teacher I now feel like I'm asking more intelligent questions.

In the meantime, here are a few sites that I have found in my searches:

http://www.fretjam.com/guitar-chord-theory.html
http://www.modemaster.com/
http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Diatonic-Modes-(Scales)-For-Guitar&id=2592715
http://juliewaters.com/chordtheory.php
http://www.justinguitar.com

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

#6 2012-05-07 16:07:03

Russell_Harding
Alien moderator
Website

Depending on the song and genre try several chords,major,minor,etc.. look at the key signature the chord may be also be a 7th,dim,maj 7th,9th or an outside chord an example wound be C to E major or E to Ab unless its progressive jazz or older standards most or all of the changes are not altered chords. smile

auxi wrote:

"Growing old is not for sissies"

#7 2012-05-07 19:52:15

auxi

Great! I guess I pretty much get it.smile Isn't it Jerome who always says, "If it sounds right, it is right"?
Did someone put up some new stickies? I'm gonna go read them.

^
                      Life right?

#8 2012-05-07 22:25:45

Baldguitardude
El Modarino
Website

Lots of times a song's melody will put a chord tone on the strong beats. So look for a 1st, 3rd, or 5th on those beats. If my melody starts on a "c" note, I'll try and play a C major, C minor (C is the root of those chords) A minor, Ab Major (C is the 3rd of those chords) F major and F minor (C is the 5th of those chords) to see if any of those work.

Not sure if that helps you at all or answers your question...or confuses the issue more. wink

#9 2012-05-07 23:45:28

jerome.oneil
Website

auxi wrote:

Well, lets focus on that "given line of notes," as that is where your answer lies.  As BGD notes, that melody will probably focus on a tonal center, which is what you want to find.  In theory terms, we call this the song's "key" and will tell you which notes, and therefore, which chords are suitable over that melody line.  It will also tell you which scales are appropriate over those chords.

www.aclosesecond.com

#10 2012-05-08 00:00:33

Baldguitardude
El Modarino
Website

You make it sound so much more official Jerome.

#11 2012-05-08 00:18:22

topdown
Margarator

^ Yup - If there is a guy that can take the fun out of music and make it a math lesson, that's Jerome big_smile

Just kidding - I really wish I had the patience to learn scales and more of this "theory" stuff. But 5 years in and i'd still rather just drink and strum.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

#12 2012-05-08 04:05:47

Astronomikal

topdown wrote:

But 5 years in and i'd still rather just drink and strum.

Sometimes I wish I could JUST do that but I'm not wired that way.  I have to understand the why as well as the what and the how.  I just find some things (music included) more enjoyable when I know how they work.

My father didn't know music theory, but he could play.  When I was about 4-5 years old he showed me my first chord on a guitar, which I think was a G.  He said:  "This is a G chord", and I immediately asked "Why?".

He didn't know.

It took me about 40 years to get around to it, but I finally learned why.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

#13 2012-05-08 17:09:48

auxi

Very good answers BGD and Jerome. I think I'm getting some things figured out. I'm kinda the type of person who has to figure things out on my own, and at my own pace, so that's why I'm not taking lessons. We have several great teachers in town - it's just that I'm not a great teach-y. smile I figure that if I ask questions as I go, I'll always be learning what I need to know. (But that may be a faulty theory.) Thanks for the input everyone!
Also, I've been looking through the old archives of this 'THEORY THREAD', and am finding answers.

^
                      Life right?

#14 2012-05-08 19:06:03

jerome.oneil
Website

It's the engineer in me.  I gotta know how stuff fits together to create something larger than the sum of it's parts, or I'm non-functional.  It's also how I figure out how to build entirely new stuff, which I think is fun.

If you're a "figure it out on my own" type but would like an assist in the form of a book, I highly recommend "Scales Over Chords" which I believe is what auxi is looking for, anyway.   It covers the CAGED method, which I use, and really gets into the "why" aspect of things for those of us who's OCD tends to run in that direction.

Amazon link here:

http://www.amazon.com/Scales-Over-Chord … 1884848052

www.aclosesecond.com

#15 2012-05-09 04:09:50

auxi

Thanks! I'll look at that book. Sounds like what I'm looking for!

^
                      Life right?

#16 2012-05-09 04:34:21

Astronomikal

jerome.oneil wrote:

It's the engineer in me.

Ditto.  Although I didn't come right out and say it, that's what i was driving at when I mentioned not being "wired that way" in my post above.  But I'm ChE (not EE), so maybe the "wired" metaphor doesn't fit.  smile

#17 2012-05-09 08:44:51

jerome.oneil
Website

Astronomikal wrote:

jerome.oneil wrote:

It's the engineer in me.

Ditto.  Although I didn't come right out and say it, that's what i was driving at when I mentioned not being "wired that way" in my post above.  But I'm ChE (not EE), so maybe the "wired" metaphor doesn't fit.  smile

I think its all the same drive, regardless of the particular discipline.   Some of us want to know why some chemical bonds bond the way they do, others want to know why that arch is stronger than that plane, some of us want to know whether electrons flow or if the holes do, and some of us spend our days pondering why the Traveling Salesman and Tower of Hanoi are so interesting.

It's what we do!

www.aclosesecond.com

#18 2012-05-09 19:07:05

auxi

But why is it what we do???

^
                      Life right?

#19 2012-07-23 02:40:32

Astronomikal

janejam wrote:

Why do you have to keep the melody note as the highest tone of each chord ?

You don't.  The melody note doesn't have to be the highest note in the chord.  In fact, it doesn't have to be in the chord at all.

janejam wrote:

Can you just make sure that the chord contains the melody note and is a chord for the correct key?

The melody note will normally (not always) be in the SCALE of the chord you are playing, but not always in the chord itself.

Example: 
C chord (main triad 1-3-5) = C - E - G
C scale = C D E F G A B C

Singing or playing ANY of the melody notes in the C scale should work when playing a C chord.

I'm close to getting out of my element here.  One of the others will chime in and agree or disagree with me.

#20 2012-07-23 09:52:48

mc9320
Website

Astronomikal wrote:

The melody note will normally (not always) be in the SCALE of the chord you are playing, but not always in the chord itself.

Example: 
C chord (main triad 1-3-5) = C - E - G
C scale = C D E F G A B C

Singing or playing ANY of the melody notes in the C scale should work when playing a C chord.

I'm close to getting out of my element here.  One of the others will chime in and agree or disagree with me.

This is a good point and you will definitely come up with stronger melodies if you don't limit yourself to only using notes from a chord.

The best way is to just use your ear. Play the notes of a major scale with a a major chord of the same key and see what sounds good. You will soon hear what works and what doesn't.

e.g If you play a C major scale with a C major chord you will find all the notes sound great, except F, which clashes with the E of the chord.

**no free ads on Chordie links removed Rh

#21 2013-05-29 17:16:15

christopaul

Web sites can be good for learning anything. If you don't get it the first time, you can repeat the lesson as many times as you need. On YouTube there will be a whole bunch of people doing a different version of the same lesson.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

#22 2013-05-30 03:20:31

wlbaye
Honoured Member
Website

Tops,

There aint nothing wrong with Drinking or Strumming they go well together , "Especially at The London Bus Pub"

Later, Wayne P

#23 2013-05-30 05:13:18

jgreen

spytunes.com is definitely worth a peek.

#24 2013-09-20 08:43:05

sityiatage

A little up-front instruction in the basics will get you a general understanding of how music works, and then you can start filling in the knowledge gaps with people like Jerome and Russell and everyone else who has been so helpful to me on here.

Links removed RH

#25 2014-04-14 19:43:05

Lee Wanner
Website

christopaul wrote:

Web sites can be good for learning anything. If you don't get it the first time, you can repeat the lesson as many times as you need. On YouTube there will be a whole bunch of people doing a different version of the same lesson.

here are videos with uncommon chord voicings, that details what intervals are used... may be of some help :-)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmbWFaxXXB0

I make albums and lesson videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/LeeWannerMusic

Board footer