Re: Remembering Chords

One word....IPAD!

I agree, the best way to play is the way that you are comfortable playing, if you need to look at music to play a song then have it handy. I just got back into playing after over 20 plus years away, and my memory is shot compared to what it was. I can play one and only one song from memory and that is the theme to MASH, only 2 strings and 12 notes if i count right. I practice daily and look at the music for each song the first time thru , play a full round of what i am working on then try my best without the music, but have it there for when i need it. I am used to this method already so it comes easy to look at sheet and keep playing . But what ever works for u is the best method for you!

Bill that them was something about suicide is painless,it was written by the producer's son and rumered too have made more then the tv show. we have it here if you look it up on M under misc tv shows or misc. movies.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

@ Bill, NOW that is a song that has kicked my butt for years.  I have a big transcrip out of an over sized 101 songs book.  It just seems hard for something that sounds so simple!  Props to you! Maybe if I sat down 1/1 to learn it it would be better.

AS to the topic of using a stand?  I am afflicted with CRS when it comes to stepping outside of a 6 song list.  I also have a 4 inch 3 ring binder.  it has stuff from this site, cowpie and two song books I cut the binding off of and 3 hole punched.  an 3/4th of it is classified,, stuff I want to learn LOLOLOLOOL roll

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

topdown wrote:

While I admire guys like toots who can memorize literally hundreds of songs, I am a believer of the Albert Einstein quote "I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book." Only so many brain cells survived my youth and I care to use them for more important purposes.

Many musicians use a song book - most pros actually use a teleprompter. You think those stage monitors are all speakers? think again. Look to Elton's right from about :25 to :35 on the below vid. Yup, a teleprompter (and even I could sing most of Elton's tunes by heart). If it's good enough for Sir Elton, it's good enough for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR3SOnMRfXo

Sure enough! Looks like a teleprompter! Thanks for that link too. I have always thought Taupin and John were some of the best songwriters ever and that song is one of my all time favorites.

Some songs I can remember some I cannot. I can remember all of the Pink Floyd songs I have learned but have issues with songs by some other artists. Two songs, "Feel Like Making Love" by Bad Company and "The Man Who Sold The World" by David Bowie and masterfully (IMO) covered by Nirvana, I learned in minutes and had them memorized in the same amount of time.

One thing I like about having songs memorized is that you can adjust how you play them to fit the way you feel they should sound.

bunbun wrote:

One thing I like about having songs memorized is that you can adjust how you play them to fit the way you feel they should sound.

Yep I did that with Turn the page by Seager.  It was also after Metallica covered it,, but I changed it up to suit my playing ability and style,,,,,, At the time all my friends could do was say "dude your not playing it right"  Right?? Now what is right for others may not be right for someone else.,,, I still play it the way I always have  cool   (and it still happens today because I dont play "just like the record"  Oh well, its my style LOLOL tongue

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

index cards on a 2 ring rotary binder.  can put a small desk lamp over it and mount it right onto the mic stand.  alphabetized and it will hold a ton of cards.   the start of each line of lyrics with the chords over it. ("On a long lonesome hwy......") all of you know the rest of this line.   most of us can remember the whole line of lyrics if we hear the first few words.  alphabetical by song or artist so you can fill it up and have a ton of music available for requests without having a huge song book or music stand in front of you.