Topic: metronome???

what does metronome do? does it help you how to strumm?

my guitar is like my brother.
we never get along..

Re: metronome???

A metronome merely keeps a steady beat.  It is a good practice aid since it helps you to keep a steady rhythm - not speeding up, or slowing down.  Once it is set to the desired beats per minute (bpm) it will simply tick or flash or beep steadily at that chosen rate of speed.  Very useful tool.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

yup i saw one before. but how do you use it? do you strumm along with the beep/flash/tick? will it improve my strumming? cause im really poor on strumming.

we never get along..

It will improve your strumming by helping you keep the beat steady, but as far as actually strumming, no. That's something you just have to work at.

I'm a musician; I can [color=blue]Handel[/color] it!

Yes - you strum along to the tick/flash/beep and it will help you improve your strumming action. 

Eventually, your strumming action will become more automatic - just like you don't really think about how your mouth will form individual sounds when you speak.  Likewise, your strumming action will become less of a conscious thing and more of an automatic impulse.

Use the metronome to concentrate on getting the pulse steady - it will force you to keep the movement going make it fluid.  Thrash away at it and don't think about it so much.

which is the up or down strumm? does the beep/tick/flash(strumm) suit all kinds of song, depends on your settings(bpm)? are these settings strumm patterns? thanks..

we never get along..

metronomes do help when your practicing... but they are also anoyying in my point of view

once the metronomre in our band room broke so all you could hear was the metrenome makeing the ticking noises i couldent get the sound out of my head.!

dont light yourself on fire... it kinda hurts.

Do you have regular access to a computer?

There are several software metronomes available on the web.

Personally I use Linux and of course all software is free ...

Online metronome - brilliant!  Just googled one up:
http://www.metronomeonline.com/
The automatically-generated google ads at the bottom of the screen offer "metronome lessons"!
Ya gotta love the internet!

That is a good one.

If you need to download a metronome and you use Linux checkout

http://linux-sound.org/mut.html

By the way James are you from the Starkville where Johnny Cash got locked up for picking flowers?

Yep, this is the place.  Actually, he was drunk and trespassing and mangling the garden of an elderly prominent citizen - but that part didn't  quite make it into his song.

There is presently a grassroots effort underway to get the town's Board of Aldermen to formally pardon Mr. Cash for his youthful indiscretion.  I believe you can sign the petition here:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu … =188563307

Our sherriff refers to the jail's drunk tank as the 'Johnny Cash Suite'.

I know we're going way off topic here but thanks for link.

I've been a Johnny Cash fan for 37 years (I'm 48 years old now), and I'm just going to have to get one of those t-shirts!

thanks

David

13 (edited by cytania 2007-06-26 14:47:05)

Hi NZ, metronomes vary from simple clicks (saw one last month that actually went in-ear, great for marching bands!) to what are basicaly drum machines for beginners. Roland do Dr.Beat in several incarnations I think the DB-90 sounds good  on paper as it has various tempos and drum patterns but doesn't put the onus on you to program it. Having played along to the drum loops in GarageBand (free with any Mac) I can say having real rock/pop rhythmns makes a real difference, it just doesn't do 3/4 waltztime as far as I can tell.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

cytania wrote:

Hi NZ, metronomes vary from simple clicks (saw one last month that actually went in-ear, great for marching bands!) to what are basicaly drum machines for beginners. Roland do Dr.Beat in several incarnations I think the DB-90 sounds good  on paper as it has various tempos and drum patterns but doesn't put the onus on you to program it. Having played along to the drum loops in GarageBand (free with any Mac) I can say having real rock/pop rhythmns makes a real difference, it just doesn't do 3/4 waltztime as far as I can tell.

cytania,

thanks for the reply. is it wise to invest on it? do you have one?

we never get along..

acmecorp wrote:

Do you have regular access to a computer?

There are several software metronomes available on the web.

Personally I use Linux and of course all software is free ...

thats a good idea, but its a bit of a hassle for me coz my pc is in the office room of the house and my electrics are in my room. just wanna learn how to strumm.. if a metronome will help me, ill have no second thought of getting one. will it?

we never get along..

I guess I'm too spoilt, I've got a laptop with a wireless connection ...

The way I learnt (34 years ago when I had no money and the web didn't exist), was to play simple up and down strokes with a pick along to simple records.

I believe the first song I ever played along to was Buddy Holly singing Everyday. (showing my age) It was only three chords.
The best strummers ever (in my opinion) are probably the Ramones, Play along with Johnny Ramone and you'll soon get the idea.

17 (edited by Zurf 2007-06-28 17:13:45)

It will not make your strum better in the sense that it'll clean up being muted on strings or having trouble getting a notes to ring out or you include too many strings.  However, it will make your timing better, which will improve all your music ESPECIALLY when you are strumming rhythm.

People who learn classically, I'm talking any instrument here, learn about counting rhythms.  1 2 3 4 for quarter notes in 4/4.  1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & for eighth notes in 4/4 time.  1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a for sixteenth notes in a 4/4 time.  The trick being, whether you are playing quarter notes, eighth notes, or sixteenth notes, the 1 2 3 4 all occur at exactly the same time.   (understanding making each beat exactly the same length is critical to playing triplets and shuffles)

If you did not learn classically, and do not know how to count a rhythm, or like me did learn to play classically (wind instruments, not guitar which I just started), did learn to count, and just don't feel like it when doodling around on a guitar, then having a metronome keeping your timing clean is a boon.  It's also a pain in the butt and you'll want to throw the dang thing out the window in short order. 

I play bass, and when I am working out a new bass line, I use the metronome to keep me honest so that I don't slip an extra beat or half-beat into a line practicing alone and then I'm all messed up when playing with others who are playing correctly.

By helping you to keep your phrasing and timing clean, the metronome will help your playing whether you are strumming rhythm or screaming out leads. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude