Topic: Confused chords

Hi all,

So I'm looking at another song to learn but am confused when looking up the chords. He Reigns by the Newsboys if you want to look it up.

I found one chart with no capo playing F C G.
Another one, capo 5th playing C G D.
A vid I found, no capo playing Dsus2 Asus2 E.

Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Confused chords

Hey, found He Reigns in F http://www.e-chords.com/chords/newsboys/he-reigns
What is your question about the chords? Do they sound wrong?

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Well playing C G D with the capo on the 5th is F C G, but I can only assume that Dsus2 Asus2 and E was played as a key change to suit the singer's vocal range and possibly they liked the 'sus2' sound to the accompaniment. (You did not say whether the vid was the original artiste or a cover version and I am assuming a cover.)

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Ok, so I understand the sus2 chords as just a key change. It is a cover BTW. I'll have to learn how changing keys without a capo works. I just found another one with diff chords too. I'm just confusing myself. I should just pick which one I like the sound of best and go with it.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry you misunderstood me. The D A E is a key change, the sus2 would alter the timbre of the sound.

Going with what sounds best to you is the way to go.

Roger

In my quest for knowledge I came across this chart. It totally works.

http://johncomino.tripod.com/trans.htm

If anyone is interested.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy (mekidsmom) placed a similar chart as a 'Sticky' in the Acoustic section some time ago:

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15164

Roger

Confused again!!!! Or maybe still confused. Since the capo chart said CAPO chart I thought it was just that. I thought the new chart was just changing keys with open chords. I didn't compare them before posting. Maybe some more knowledge will do me good.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Try using Amy's chart, it is easier to understand.

If you put a capo on the 2nd fret and play the C shape chord you will be playing D. The D shape chord will become E and so on, for every chord shape you play the actual note is shifted up 2 steps.

A  A#  B  C  C#  D  D#  E  F  F# G   G#  A
    Bb          Db       Eb          Gb       Ab

Roger

I have that one in the first few pages of my binder. I was just confused because it said CAPO. I didn't know it was the same as transposing with no capo. I'm learning little by little.

Thanks for keeping the thread fresh Roger. It made me research transposing. Otherwise I wouldn't have learnt me anything.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!