Topic: String Numbering

The engineer in me is wondering "why" yet again.

I can think of a few good reasons why the low E should be string 1 and the high e should be string 6.  Examples:

1.  The way a guitar is normally played, the low E is on top (closest to the player).  That should be string 1.

2.  When you strum a guitar you usually start with a downstrum at the lower strings and go toward the high, which means you would hit the low string first.  That should be string 1.

3.  Scales are usually played starting low-to-high (Do-Re-Mi-Fa . . . etc.).  Lowest note first.  Lowest string (E) should be string 1.

4.  Tab chord designations:  G = 320003.  Left to right should equal 1-6.

But this isn't the way it is.  I did some research and all I could find is that both conventions are used, but low E = 6 is by FAR the most widely accepted.

In a nutshell:  Can someone please explain to me why the strings are numbered backwards?

Thanks,
'Nom

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: String Numbering

Astronomikal wrote:

In a nutshell:  Can someone please explain to me why the strings are numbered backwards?

Thanks,
'Nom

I'm 99% sure it is just to mess with you engineer types.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Well, if that's the case, all I can offer is:  "Well played.  It worked."  I'm also a bit OCD, so for me it's a double-whammy.

Are you going to admit that the other 1% is:  "I dunno."  smile

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

"I donno,"

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

With the exception of #3, I agree completely.  It bugs the crap out of me!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

6 (edited by beamer 2012-05-22 04:07:29)

I just look at it like Algerbra.  I dont question it, I just accept that is the way it is and it works.  Same with Trig big_smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I agree, and it's funny. We know how to look at it and read it. But when you try to explain it to someone, you have to think about it for a second. Especially goin left to right (G=32003) And to add to it: Up is down and down is up. UP (higher) notes are found DOWN on the bottom strings and Down towards the bottom of the neck. So when you tell a noob to move up, it's physically down. Maybe we should all just play a lefty guitar!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Best guess!!

It is not 1 2 3 4 5 6 but 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th and 6th.

Musically high and low refer to pitch and not position or direction, so the first string is the highest and the last (sixth) is the lowest.

So think musically and not phyically, so that going up and down the fretboard or up and down a string will refer to pitch of the note, and you cannot go wrong.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:

Best guess!!

So think musically and not phyically, so that going up and down the fretboard or up and down a string will refer to pitch of the note, ....

That's the best answer I've found, so I'll take it and just move on.  Thanks.  smile

Wow, I didn't know about all the numbers , I thought they were thin to thickest or thick to thinner, I guess they play ok either way smile

Later, Wayne P