Topic: Muted up strum

Any tips on this? I'm having a little bit of trouble with it.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Muted up strum

Good question. Wish I had an answer. Whenever I palm mute my strings it's in a quick down stroke kinda way. I read on some other sites how to pm an upstroke, but they really didn't have any magically helpful advice. Except for what you already know and have already heard I'm sure: PRACTICE.

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Just like trying to learn to play harmonics on the 12th fret, it is a matter of getting used to the right touch.  With much practice, everything comes to us in time.  Not much help, but......

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

...But probably the best help you're gonna get. smile

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Slow down.  A lot. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

You trying a left hand mute or a right hand mute?

Strumming hand mute, right hand. I am fine with the down mute. I actually use that in a lot of my playing. Up is a diff story. I'm getttin a twang from the e and b strings.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Z check your e-mail smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

can you send me a pic of how you hold your pick and hand on the bridge? or we can do a quick skype.

This is totally what I want to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyEXzQog9gs

He makes it look so easy and sound so good.

Baldy, I've been experimenting with my hand in diff positions. I'll have to work on it some more. I think I can get it tho, it's just gonna take some time.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, this is a PITA!!!! I will get this down and be the coolest guitar player ever. It may be 15 years from now but...

Seriously tho, with all the years of combined experience we have on Chordie no one has come across this? I need some help people!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I have just hArd to give suggestions w/o seeing....

I find you have to hold your hand lower than you normally would so that you have to flex your wrist quite a bit to clear the bass strings which takes a bit of practice to get used to. I found that I kept dropping the pick at first because it would get caught under the low E string. It's also a lot easier when you are sitting down because you have to get your arm a bit lower where it comes accross the body which is really hard when the guitar is hanging on a strap. If you are standing, try holding the neck lower than you normally would, even point it slightly down hill which puts the strumming hand in a more natural position to mute the strum.
Best of luck.

"We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." (Ben Sweetland)

I pretty much figured it out, well it's working for me anyway. I have to use my fingers instead of my hand on the up strum. Kinda like pushing the pick up instead of dragging it. Also, the pick kinda bounces off the strings not raking them and I'm only hitting 1 or 2 stings. Maybe the G & B. I think with some practice it will sound really good. I need to remember to slow down too.

Thanks for all the advice

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!