Topic: Any songs that are easy to learn by ear?

Hi,
Ive been told it is really useful to learn songs by ear as it trains the ear. I'm struggling at the moment. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any easy songs to learn by ear? I'm happy with anything apart from Any modern rubbish like Rihanna or Adele, preferable Rock or Heavy Metal (not screamo) but im happy with Blues, Folk, Jazz, Reggae, Heavier Grunge (Nirvana), etc.
Thanks, Sammy big_smile

Re: Any songs that are easy to learn by ear?

Most of the Scorpions early stuff is pretty easy.  Try rock you like a hurricane, Cant live with out you, and black out.  (if you need help, the stuff is in the library here in chordie and on youtube) to get you on your way.

tom petty last dance with mary jane.

a county boy can survive by hank williams jr.

hope that helps some.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Thanks!!! smile

Well, any songs can be lean, but mostly it depends on your mind capacity. But when I lean ant song, I play my song on electric Mp 4. Then I can make it easy to lean by my ears.

It`s kind of old and dated but the easiest one to memorize is ABACAB by Genesis. The title is the chord progression A  B  A  C  A  B.  How easy is that to memorize.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

You might try too get the blues scales memorized a bit then you would be able too play alot of blues tunes by ear.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

For what it's worth.

Some older & easier folk stuff from America, Cat Stevens, Neil Young, etc. are not too complex to defy you, as long as you have reasonably good command of your major & minor chords.

Cat Stevens? Don't go near Morning Has broken, it will tie you.up in knots.

Pretty Vacant by The Sex Pistols is a lot of fun ans only a handful of chords.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

10 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-06-13 18:27:26)

Right you are about MHB ... it's much more complex than most of his material. I play it on classical using fingers, and it's not bad. Some of his tunes that I was thinking of were "Moonshadow" and "Where Do the Children Play".

I understand that Rick Wakeman (former YES keyboardist) is the composer of the music portion of MHB itself. A person never knows how much of this is gossip / hearsay / misinformation / etc.

11 (edited by christopaul 2013-06-13 18:36:54)

It does sound very Rick Wakeman like.
The time and place would have been about right too.

That would have been before he joined Yes and he was doing quite a bit of session work then. Also did a bit with David Bowie.