Topic: How I Remember Summers Way Back When

I was just noticing lately that I’ve not seen many kids out and about even though school has been on summer break for a while now. That is far different from how I grew up.

How I Remember Summers Way Back When  By Jeff Gilpin

July 1, 2012

Capo 3

Verse 1

[A]Sleep in in the morning

[A]I got no school today

[D]Get up when I want to

[A]Then go out and play

[D]Come home when I’m hungry

[A]Then I’m off again

That’s [A]how I remember [E]summers

Way back [A]when

Verse 2

[A]We didn’t have the internet

[A]TV was kind of slow

[D]Nothing but soap operas

Or [A]maybe a game show

[D]Video games were years away

But [A]we didn’t know that then

Way back [A]when [A7]

Chorus 1

[E]Hide and seek and kick the can

[D]Rounders or kick[A]ball

[E]Baseball stickball basketball

Or [D]any old ball at [A]all

We [D]didn’t sit around much

After [A]sitting all year in school

[D]Summers were for doing stuff

It [E]was an unwritten [E7]rule

Verse 3

[A]Camping in the back yard

[A]Playing flashlight tag

[D]Maybe building a tree house

Or [A]playing capture the flag

[D]Made up game when we ran out

Or [A]start all over again

Way back [A]when

Verse 4

[A]Now a days seems like the kids

[A]Just have nothing to do

Their [D]minds are over loaded

Might as well [A]send ‘em back to school

[D]Too much so called entertainment

I[A]magination running thin

Not [A]like how I remember [E]summers

Way back [A]when [A7]

Chorus 2

[E]All cans are recycled now

The [D]balls are put a[A]way

[E]Parents forget to tell their kids

[D]You all go out and [A]play

[D]Have to break their concentration

Or [A]maybe cut their power

[D]Get them from behind their screen

[E]Hour after [E7]hour

Verse 5

[A]If I could choose the time

[A]When I was a kid to live

[D]Between all that we have today

And what [A]yesteryears had to give

I [D]wouldn’t have to think twice

I’d [A]do it all again

Back [A]how I remember [E]summers

Way back [D]when [A]

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

2 (edited by dino48 2012-07-03 02:03:19)

Re: How I Remember Summers Way Back When

Jets that contains alot of good memories for me,I only hit home when I got hungry,you only forgot a few things like roller skates,red wagons,marbles,and your trusty red ryder bb gun. You did not have too make a choice with tennis shoes either.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks Dino,

Yep - Other stuff like my T-shirts were just...well... T-shirts....not too much fashion choices that I remember. I also left out lightning bugs...baseball cards...with gum...ghost stories...all without internet connectivity! Not sure how we all got by.  smile

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

4 (edited by Lane1777 2012-07-03 23:22:13)

I tell my kids some stories of how it used to be?.. they get this worried look in their eyes. as simple as it was for me growing up some great things back then..I like the song..

Thanks Lane - Kids don't know what they missed. We look back and worry about how missing the things we grow up with changed the young adults of today. Was it for the better or the worse? Only time will tell.

J  E  T  S

Jet, that is such a touchy subject..in my day my father was the law and the truth..but he had time to teach me. if I was wrong he stood me up and said...you take a look, you want to do that again? [gulp] the world today is 100% faster. you know what that means..others and other things are guiding our youth... [video, internet, music] parents do the best they can I like to think but there is that fast lane for them too. they can`t afford to slow down. Dads don`t take wrenchs out and show sons how to fix bikes...they buy new. can`t build tree-houses anymore, the preditors will get your kids, or the e.p.a. will take everything you have for stressing a tree out.  sounds like I`m blaming "tech and population, the more we advance, the more moral we shave off.
I`m just blab`n don`t pay no attention to this....lol

Hey Lane - You're right. We have the hand we were dealt and we have to make the best of it. Same for the next generation as well I guess.

J  E  T  S