Topic: Chordie "Olympians"

Watching the Olympics the last few days has me wondering if any of our Chordians have any stories about competing or winning athletic events in their past.  I was never much of an athlete although I played baseball in high school and later played softball for several years.  I was "deceptively slow" (actually slower than I looked) and was once told by a coach that if I was in a race they would have to use a calender instead of a stop watch.  Later I became interested in paddle sports and was a competent, although not spectacular whitewater kayaker and spent around 15 years paddling class IV-V rivers until back problems began to affect my roll.  I competed in canoe racing for a couple years and was fairly successful, winning every race I was in, including two "gold" medals at the Canoe and Kayak Invitational at the 1982 Worlds Fair.  I guess that would have been the closest I ever got to an "Olympic moment". A shoulder injury in 1984 affected my racing (as well as my guitar playing) and I never won another race, although I did manage to a win couple 2nd and 3rd place trophies with my daughters in some local USCA adult/child division races.

Anyone else have any competitive athletic stories?  Any high school or college sports heroes out there?

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: Chordie "Olympians"

I loved sport in school. I played basketball, football and track ad field.  I played baseball in the summer and softball in later years as a young adult. About the only thing I could compete in now is the 100 yard mosey.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

You can find me running, if someone is chasing me holding a gun or knife.  That's about it for me and sports.  I was deeply involved in music in high school.  I made it to all state choir and competed in NYSSMA and NATS.  I was in the regular chorus, the jazz choir, as well as the girls choir and participated in a few of the musicals.  No time for sports between that and my social life.  LOL!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I used to race bicycles.  In my first year I placed exactly middle in every field I entered.  After three years of fairly intensive training, I continued to place exactly middle in every field I entered.  So I converted my race bike to the world's shortest touring bike and never looked back.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I've never been into the more traditional sports... Baseball, basketball, track, soccer, football, etc.... I just have zero interest in those.
I used to compete skating and did well locally but never pursued it.  Back in my teens I was heavy into martial arts (TKD and JKD) and again did well in local tourney's. Did a lot of Freestyle bmx and surfing too but never in any real major comps...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I was also heavy in to martial arts. I'm now heavy in to canine protection sporting.

I work as a lifeguard/swimming instructor at a municipal pool.  Even though I could stand to drop 50 lbs, I figure if I get paid to swim, that makes me a professional athlete!

I played in Baseball,wrestling,track and swimming. did good in swimming and baseball. tried my favorite sport football but I was to much of a lighteweight with only a varsity team.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Baseball, softball, track, fishing tournaments (got as far as having sponsers and the use of sponser boats), bowling (there was a time when I averaged well over 200 in several different leagues and came very close to getting my PBA card - then after I shot a 779 series in a pro-am tournament and won ZERO I realized I wasn't as good as I thought I was) My main sport, today, is going to the mall, sitting on a bench and booty watching.

Nela

High School track - I ran in the 880 (1/2 mile), football (tight end), played a few years of Junior Hockey, and competed in Combat Range and standard range pistols.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

In 1984 I had an Olympic Bronze medal around my neck!!

Alas I did not win it. At that time I was heavily into air rifle target shooting and at a competition I found myself shooting beside Barry Dagger who had just won it in Los Angeles. We got chatting and he mentioned that he had his medal with him and then very kindly allowed me at try it for size.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

i've always loved running... unfortunately, i'm too old and stiff now, but in school i used to compete in all the running events, also the long and high jump, shot put and javelin, all i can throw now is a tantrum!!!! i played soccer and cricket when i left school till i found it interfered with gigging with my band. i also did a bit of boxing and rugby, but those games tend to damage your fingers, guitar won out!

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

hi rog, just seen your post, must have been in the days before mobile phones, huh? or you would have a photo to show off big_smile

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

hi rog, just seen your post, must have been in the days before mobile phones, huh? or you would have a photo to show off big_smile

Too true, no photo but a great memory.

P.S. Many Happy Returns for Yesterday Phill!!

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Being a kid on cape breton island you were given a hockey stick and told 'come home when it starts to get dark"   and "be a good sport  eh"   ah what fun

badeye    cool

one caper after another

backyard baseball was as far as my career took me. But it was fun. smile

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue