Topic: Effects pedals

I'm a bit of a noob at this, but how exactly do you use, for instance, a distortion pedal? When you switch the pedal off, will it automatically go back to the clean setting?

My band is Order of the Planets - look us up on Youtube or Facebook.

2 (edited by beamer 2012-06-27 21:53:12)

Re: Effects pedals

Yes.  what kind did you get?  it goes to clean signal , but some of the older ones bypass and some newer have "true bypass" menating noise free, and some have a noise gate  in them you can adjust.  go on you Tube and lok up distortion pedal previews or shoot outs  you can see and hear how the different ones work.  there is also overdrive,, which is a milder distortion.  here are tow of the links I was talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5fXapM7uJE  and  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_8DrqQSN2Q

this is my distortion box (not me in the vid just a good example and it has teh noise gate and mid scoop) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_8DrqQSN2Q

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I prefer an overdrive over a distortion pedal. I have an MXR distortion and an overdrive. My daughter likes a death metal pedal. A bit much for me. Try before you buy and make your own decison.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

hi daydub.

"stomp pedals" are a bit of a pain to me. you have to wire up, change batteries etc. i'd rather have a pedal board, i have a boss ME50 which i use on stage as all the FX are programmable and you can switch them on and off as needed. there are many pedals available and i would always suggest trying them out for yourself as listening to the "company professional" can be very misleading. go to your favourite music shop and get them to show you their stock. they wont mind you trying them out and dont think the dearest one is the best, get the one most suited for your sound and ease of use.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

When you do that try and use your own guitar and an identical amp to the one you plan on playing through.

Phill Williams wrote:

hi daydub.

"stomp pedals" are a bit of a pain to me. you have to wire up, change batteries etc. i'd rather have a pedal board, i have a boss ME50 which i use on stage as all the FX are programmable and you can switch them on and off as needed. there are many pedals available and i would always suggest trying them out for yourself as listening to the "company professional" can be very misleading. go to your favourite music shop and get them to show you their stock. they wont mind you trying them out and dont think the dearest one is the best, get the one most suited for your sound and ease of use.

phill

Even with out a pedal board, you can still get a power supply and not worry about frequent battery changes, but keep the battery in there for when you just dont want to mess with it.  I love stomps, they are an addiction.  If you get beyond 3 or 4 stomps, then a Pedal board is nice and there are MANY different routs to go on that one also.

With all the advise,, maybe you should let us know what type sound your shooting for, or just an good all rounder? then you can also have OD and an DIST. I have even run them together to get a sound I want.  then there is also a BOOST pedal that can get you just over the top.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

I just threw away my adapters.... Even though 9vs are a pain I found they power pedals better somehow....

Baldguitardude wrote:

I just threw away my adapters.... Even though 9vs are a pain I found they power pedals better somehow....

were you using the one spot?  I have seen the adaptor boxes that have the plug that acts like a semi drained battery for that really fuzzy sound you can get.

Since I do not have to worry about giging, I have a cool set up at home for a pedal board, I think I have Posted it here b4, and finally got a onespot to power everything.  I love just turning on one switch to fire everything up. Well I keep the amp off  and use its switch, but I can leave everything patched up. 

I think if I did travel a lot, I would probably just use 3 stomps and my RP, but still keep the Onespot big_smile

beamer wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:

were you using the one spot?  I have seen the adaptor boxes that have the plug that acts like a semi drained battery for that really fuzzy sound you can get.

Since I do not have to worry about giging, I have a cool set up at home for a pedal board, I think I have Posted it here b4, and finally got a onespot to power everything.  I love just turning on one switch to fire everything up. Well I keep the amp off  and use its switch, but I can leave everything patched up. 

I think if I did travel a lot, I would probably just use 3 stomps and my RP, but still keep the Onespot big_smile

I have a digitech pedal board too, also a bone to hold all my pedals. For some reason, I always end up gpoing back to my single overdrive pedal. The digitech seems to have more controls than the space shuttle

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

10 (edited by beamer 2012-06-29 22:08:14)

J3, I mainly use my RP for one type sound and augment it w/ the stomps. ( I have the RP running into an old Laptop to programme it,,makes it much easier! + I have downloaded every patch from Digitech the site for it)

BTW I created a great Acoustic setting for my SG.  Took the stock Acoustic sample, added in a diff reverb than what they had, then put some Phaze into it and used the sigle coil simulator.  It sounds really great!  If your on tonight(late) ill let ya hear it. and show ya how I got the stuff rigged up.

Hi….! When I purchase my new guitar with all  accessories . It’s all wires make different Effects pedals and magnificent sound.

I've tried one spots, individual adapters, everything. Seem to get signal loss and noise vs. a good old fashioned battery.

deleted by mod....spammer

All
   does anyone read their posts and correct before submitting or am I the only one that has a problem understanding the language used?
Most of the above posts are all gobbledegook to me.

All the best
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

bushy243 wrote:

All
   does anyone read their posts and correct before submitting or am I the only one that has a problem understanding the language used?

All the best
Bushy

I’ll admit there are a couple that make no sense.  Like the one above you, and a few others.  I will yield on my spelling, I am a phonetic speller, if the auto fix does not hit it, I will usually read the same mistake and not notice.  There are times when I am typing tooo fast and it ends up wonky.  But your right, there are at least 2 above that make no sense at all.  As for the rest, we are talking about effect boxes and the like and we all know what were saying lol Ok so it’s kind of a text short hand sometimes, but understandable.
(Just for you I ran this through Word spell check and repasted LOLOL big_smile  )

bushy243 wrote:

All

All the best
Bushy

fkjfgokjfgbkfgo  fkodfgkjfgkffkkl; vmgvmmbhkfkf ;lvkvkvbkkf ofopogfl fnhg ;d;flkv,bk vcdwsv

Enjoy Every Sandwich

OK,JJJ. I asked for that.

All the best
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"